Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: MUA after 12 wks post op ACL & MCL surgery  (Read 48 times)

Offline SidewalkSurfer

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 2
MUA after 12 wks post op ACL & MCL surgery
« on: November 08, 2017, 07:46:59 PM »
Hello everyone,

I am about 12 weeks post-op of ACL and meniscus reconstruction surgery and my knee still hasn't regained full range of motion it currently is at  123 fraction and about 7 extension  I will see my OS on Friday the 10th he has previously stated that if I don't regain full ROM we will have to do a manipulation under anesthesia should I do it or should I keep trying with my physio. When I do the exercises I can get my extension down to -2 degrees but it will go back to -7 or sometimes even -10. I know the horror stories that people have mentioned here and just wanted to get people's opinion. Here are three questions

1)Should I get the manipulation?

2) Should I also get arthroscopic lysis to remove scar tissue?

3)Is the manipulation by itself recommended?

Offline Vickster

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 264
  • Neelie knee!
Re: MUA after 12 wks post op ACL & MCL surgery
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2017, 08:06:51 PM »
Persevere with Physio unless a fresh MRI shows clear scar tissue? Is there swelling that is an issue?

Ultimately only you can decide based on your surgeon. Is it an issue for you or is the surgeon just being aggressive?

Came off bike onto concrete 9/9/09
LK arthroscopy 8/2/10
2nd scope on 16/12/10
LK New MRI shows lat & medial meniscus tear & other stuff
RK MRI lat meniscus tear
8/1/15 RK Steroid jab,
RK arthroscopy on 5/2/15
Lateral meniscus trim, excision of hoffa's fat pad, chondral stabilisation

Offline SidewalkSurfer

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 2
Re: MUA after 12 wks post op ACL & MCL surgery
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2017, 09:37:33 PM »
Thanks for the reply my physiotherapist also thinks I should have the MUA still thinks my knee is a bit stiff and the deep tissue massages he does I have only done so much that he thinks the best thing to do at this point is to have the manipulation and go from there. My only concern is the risks involved the doctor seemed not too concerned about the procedure, I guess if he is going to suggest it I'd first want to find out how many manipulations has he performed? How many patients have had complications because of it? Has this fixed the problem?