Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Loose kneecaps  (Read 148 times)

Offline Aceofpens

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Loose kneecaps
« on: November 07, 2017, 06:11:25 PM »
I'm not sure if this is abnormal, but both of my kneecaps are really loose. I expect that everyone's move a little, but mine shift around significantly, especially when I have my weight on them. They seem pretty stable while my knee is bent, though. I don't have any pain with it, either - usually. I do get a bit of clicking in those joints, and my knees often buckle beneath me if I ease my weight around carelessly. Dislocation (partial, not complete, I think) isn't too uncommon. I fell off my bed a few weeks ago, and my knee popped loudly. I had trouble straightening it (it was stuck at a kind of bent and inward angle) and had to force it back into place. It hurt for a couple days, but nothing really serious. I've asked a few family members, and they were all really weirded out by it. It's very visible movement. It mostly moves inward (towards the opposite leg) and upwards. I'm not active and have never had a significant knee injury. My knees have been like this for as long as I can remember. Is this normal, after all?

Offline Brandon123

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 13
Re: Loose kneecaps
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2017, 11:30:13 AM »
At least my knee caps are loose when the leg is straight, they should "float around" like that I believe. When the leg is bent, however, they should not be loose I am pretty sure of. If this is troubling you or you have any disturbing symptoms, go and have a doctor check it, he/she will see and feel if it looks OK rather easy I guess.   

Offline Aceofpens

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2017, 01:53:12 AM »
Thanks for the reply. I really can't find much information about this online. My family's insurance is changing in December so I can't get in to see a doctor until the new year. I was hoping to find some more information before then. We called my GP and she wanted to send me to an orthopedic doctor to have it looked at (she didn't see me, but she thought it a good idea to go ahead, based on what my mom told her). I don't want to go in if it's nothing, though. I had a false health scare last year and the tests cost quite a bit. I hate to put my parents out again over nothing, especially since I'm also being sent in for OT this year. I would just brush it off, but my dad thought it serious, and he used to play sports. He's no stranger to serious injuries, and when he checked my knees, he freaked out and said it wasn't normal. How much are kneecaps supposed to move when straight?

Offline Brandon123

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 13
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2017, 02:39:52 PM »
If several people, including your father who has experience of sports injuries, freak out by your 'loose' kneecaps, I think you should go and have them checked. However, if you don't have any pain or dislocations or anything, I don't think you need to rush to the doctor either. Maybe you can schedule an appointment and have it checked early next year?

Offline emm

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2017, 03:47:32 AM »
I had a very similar problem growing up and into high school. My kneecaps would 'sublex' (doctor''s word for slightly dislocate) when I walked or anything like that. I didn't do anything about it until it began to cause me lots of pain. It wasn't all at once, but more gradual. I eventually went to the doctor and ended up needing surgery. The good thing is, however, is that there's a possibility that it could be helped/corrected with some exercises specific to the muscles that hold your knee cap in place. I know my doctor had me to months of PT to try to fix it before surgery. I'd say keep an eye on it and do what you can to prevent surgery. In case you wonder, the type of surgery is MPFL reconstruction surgery. It's not too invasive, but recovery is very painful. Hope this helped!

support