Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: PFJPS - really bad  (Read 436 times)

Offline Jasey122

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 1
Re: PFJPS - really bad
« Reply #15 on: December 04, 2017, 07:47:18 AM »
Hello,

I have also fat pad impingement, but now I have pain in the medial part of patella, before I had on lateral of patella.

Where is your painful part of knees?

I can't really say where the pain is coming from as it varies literally, from within the knee cap were I get sharp pains, to above the knee cap and then below the knee cap from the fat pad.   I know this sounds vague. Whats your story and what have you tried?

Offline Clarkey

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 51
  • Never put 100% trust into a negative MRI scan!
« Reply #16 on: December 07, 2017, 09:30:25 PM »
I am also in the KG members fat pad impingement club that was the only problem spotted in my MRI scan back in 2008 with fluid around the fat pad. I had PT and a cortisone injection after feeling lateral catching that did not improve the pain and discomfort. Was not able to run so opted for a diagnostic arthrocopy in November 2009, I had my fat pad trimmed and medila plica excsion, slow recovery of 18 months before I was able to run again long distances.

Fell onto my right knee on black ice in January 2013! Since then not been able to run with another scope of anterior interval release AIR surgery in July 2014 for excessive scar tissue build up. Having a 3rd scope on January 2018 for patella decompression surgery and maybe AIR surgery once again. 

Need to think carefully before going ahead with surgery on the fat pad! It's a risky procedure and hear of many failed attempts causing excessive scarring that can potentially cause arthrofibrosis of the knee that once you have it is hard to eradicate.

Anterior knee pain is very common as the bottom of the kneecap is where the damage occurs that can be eased loosing weight. If you are at a healthy weight like me, seeing a sports physiotherapist for strengthening exercises was helpful. As we age the knee starts to wear out slowly with PFPS as the first signs. If you can get your quads nice and strong will benefit you if you opt for surgery as the last resort after all conservative treatments have failed, you will recover quicker with strong quad muscles.

Good luck.

[email protected]

« Last Edit: December 07, 2017, 09:32:16 PM by Clarkey »
RK: PFPS, Arthrofibrosis & Tendinopathy
Scope #3 scheduled 26/01/18
18/07/14 Anterior interval release  
16/11/09 Medial plica excision & fat pad trim
Cortisone injections: R-Hip - FAI 04/04/17  RK 23/12/15, 22/10/15, 13/05/15, 30/03/10, 23/04/09

Offline Clarkey

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 51
  • Never put 100% trust into a negative MRI scan!
« Reply #17 on: December 09, 2017, 05:16:40 PM »
Hello,

I have also fat pad impingement, but now I have pain in the medial part of patella, before I had on lateral of patella.

Where is your painful part of knees?

I can't really say where the pain is coming from as it varies literally, from within the knee cap were I get sharp pains, to above the knee cap and then below the knee cap from the fat pad.   I know this sounds vague. Whats your story and what have you tried?

Have recently felt sharp shooting pain at the top of my right kneecap on the lateral side while walking with medial lateral pain at the bottom! Have to stand till the pain eases again with crippling pain struggling to walk for around 12 seconds before pain has eases again. Strongly suspect it is the fat pad and hitting a nerve is my guess that might be the same with the pain and discomfort that you are also experiencing with similar symptoms. Showing clearly problems associated with the fat pad. Pain can be hard to pinpoint at times, mine is mainly at the bottom of the tibia, if I try to increase my pace the pain is there straight away.

My walking pace has gradually slowed down, will risk a 3rd scope in January was earning money self employed doing gardening around my neighbourhood earning 10 an hour September until October after unfair dismissal as an autism support worker. Right knee is a hindrance increasing the limping after gardening. There might be some damage to the cartilage is my gut feeling! Hoping more problems gets spotted during surgery. Need to earn a regualr salary, highly in demand my gardening skills with five clients with limited hours before the knee starts to flare up.

[email protected]
« Last Edit: December 09, 2017, 05:20:57 PM by Clarkey »
RK: PFPS, Arthrofibrosis & Tendinopathy
Scope #3 scheduled 26/01/18
18/07/14 Anterior interval release  
16/11/09 Medial plica excision & fat pad trim
Cortisone injections: R-Hip - FAI 04/04/17  RK 23/12/15, 22/10/15, 13/05/15, 30/03/10, 23/04/09