Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Shin and Ankle pain after ACL Recon  (Read 189 times)

Offline M_Renvoize

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Shin and Ankle pain after ACL Recon
« on: October 29, 2017, 10:17:57 PM »
Hi,

I had ACL reconstruction (hamstring graft) and a meniscal resectamy 3 weeks ago. My knee isnít causing me any pain however since the numbness wore off Iíve had this sharp shooting pain go down the inside of my shin and into my ankle. Itís like an intense 9/10 pain that last for about 5 seconds but happens every few minutes depending on how Iím sitting or lying.

Physio said itís normal to receive some nerve damage that could cause this but he didnít say anything about how long it could last or make any suggestions to ease the pain.

Has anyone experienced this before and can give me some advice?

Thanks
Matt

Offline SidewalkSurfer

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 2
Re: Shin and Ankle pain after ACL Recon
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2017, 09:01:52 PM »
Hi,

I had the same thing happened to me with similar pain I was told by the anesthesiologist that this might happen if I were to take a nerve block which I did. The pain continued and even went beyond my shin and Ankle to my heel which made walking very miserable. he told me that this could last up to 6 months if it continued beyond that it was not the fault of the anesthesia but rather the surgery that made the nerve pain. My physio therapist said that the more I strengthen the knee the last the pain would feel on my heel shin and ankles. it has been 10 weeks post-op and I can finally say I have no pain on my heal Shin or ankles. Just continue to do your physio and know your body's limits.  be patient and think positive it wasn't a big deal for me hoping it's not a big deal for you!

Offline gottarun13

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 8
Re: Shin and Ankle pain after ACL Recon
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2017, 12:35:44 AM »
I had a similar problem (and the same surgery).  The pain in my shin was a 10+++.  A user, back when I had this told me that I should try to stand up each hour on the hour for 30-60 seconds and flex my feet if I can.  Yes, it hurt, but since I timed it, I knew it would end as soon as I sat back down.  It took a couple of weeks to have it be mostly gone - but it did work.  Each time I stood up it seemed to take a wee bit less time for the pain to dissipate.  So sorry you are going through this - it really does get better!!!

support