Poll

Catching and pain after partial meniscectomy

Maybe retear
0 (0%)
Or anxiety
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Author Topic: Meniscus 4 months post op  (Read 180 times)

Offline Tashfeen

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Meniscus 4 months post op
« on: October 08, 2017, 07:50:02 AM »
I had partial meniscectomy 4.5 months ago of my right knee ( medial side bucket handle tear ) about 25-30% of my meniscus was removed .. since then I hv been doing physio exercises but after a long rest or sitting when I bend down ( as in squat) I feel something coming between joint ( catching type of sensation ) but as I sit and stand 3-4 times it goes away on its own I don't hv to manuipulate it . Similarly after doing exercises ( cycling , squats ) it gets all fine. Sometimes I hv pain at point of surgery , in quads just above patella and back side of knee ? Any suggestion of guess? Or will it get better over time?

Online Vickster

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 260
  • Neelie knee!
Re: Meniscus 4 months post op
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2017, 10:14:18 AM »
I'd go and see a sports physio and get the muscle balance and strength checked. It could be that your muscles aren't firing properly and in balance thus pulling the knee out of alignment. You have had a fairly large part of your knee removed, the mechanics will be different and will feel different

In the meantime, avoid doing things that cause the issue or move the knee back and forth a few times to wake it up after getting up from sitting :)

Good luck :)
Came off bike onto concrete 9/9/09
LK arthroscopy 8/2/10
2nd scope on 16/12/10
LK New MRI shows lat & medial meniscus tear & other stuff
RK MRI lat meniscus tear
8/1/15 RK Steroid jab,
RK arthroscopy on 5/2/15
Lateral meniscus trim, excision of hoffa's fat pad, chondral stabilisation

Offline Tashfeen

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2017, 01:23:59 PM »
Thanks a lot for encouraging response , I thought that tear was not removed completely , though my follow up at 12 weeks my doc told me that u just need PT.Everyone tells me it get better with time but it has been 4.5 months where as people go back to sports after 6-8 weeks

I'd like too add few more things , This catching problem was significant few weeks back but since I have started exercising both at home and at gym it has reduced significantly but it is there, secondly my quads and calf muscles feel sore and tired. I'm only 18 and want to return to football. And is it absolutely necessary that I will have osteoarthritis in future? 

Online Vickster

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Neelie knee!
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2017, 04:50:09 PM »
It is unfortunate that they removed the tissue rather than stitching it up given your age, was that not possible. On that basis, osteoarthritis is a distinct possibility

Also, did they explain that once torn and trimmed there is a higher possibility of retear due to the altered mechanics in the knee?

I'd ask your physio about possibility using a brace if you want to play imapact sport like football (soccer?)

You'll need to do conditioning before returning, again talk to a sport physio or trainer about the best exercise programme. Try sports massage or a foam roller underneath their supervision to help the muscle fatigue. Ice and a Hot bath afterwards good too

Everyone recovers differently, work on your own, don't worry about others

There are good meniscus resources to look at in the information portfolio
« Last Edit: October 08, 2017, 04:52:12 PM by Vickster »
LK arthroscopy 8/2/10
2nd scope on 16/12/10
RK MRI lat meniscus tear
8/1/15 RK Steroid jab,
RK arthroscopy on 5/2/15

Offline Tashfeen

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2017, 04:04:49 AM »
My doc told me that only a portion of meniscus is removed it won't be an issue . And what about the pain will it fade away over time? And osteoarthritis is possibility not confirmed right?

Online Vickster

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Neelie knee!
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2017, 08:11:13 AM »
Yes to all. But a more increased possibility. Don't worry about it though, just reduce the possibility by protecting the knee. Discuss with physio
LK arthroscopy 8/2/10
2nd scope on 16/12/10
RK MRI lat meniscus tear
8/1/15 RK Steroid jab,
RK arthroscopy on 5/2/15

Offline Tashfeen

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2017, 04:36:16 PM »
I'm having pain at back of knee it feels like a stretch or tightness at back of knee and at place where calf joins knee and occasional pain all around knee ( below knee cap , medial side , lateral side ) any reasons? Suggestions? Doc says it because of turning knee in different angles during surgery ? Help

Online Vickster

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Neelie knee!
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2017, 04:42:38 PM »
Give it more time. Knees take many months (or years even) to recover from the trauma of major surgery and the initial injury , even if you're young and fit. Look how long it can take pros to return even with 24/7 unlimited resources for rehab. The human body is a very complex entity, not a machine

30% of medial meniscus is quite a chunk of tissue. Losing that will have a big impact on how your knee feels and functions. You need to work hard to compensate for that

So Work hard with a top notch sports Physio focused on your main sport preferably. Find one if you don't have. What country are you in?
« Last Edit: October 11, 2017, 04:53:26 PM by Vickster »
LK arthroscopy 8/2/10
2nd scope on 16/12/10
RK MRI lat meniscus tear
8/1/15 RK Steroid jab,
RK arthroscopy on 5/2/15

Offline Tashfeen

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2017, 06:04:19 PM »
Thanks for your help and support.In all this time no one could give me any satisfactory answer but your replies are encouraging.
I'm Asian don't hv much physio's here my doc is 120 miles away.Now a days I do 2-3 times home exercises ( leg raises , squats and hamstring stretching , cycling) and heavy leg exercises at gym twice a week. Keeping it hot (oil massage) is better or cold ( iceing) ?

Online Vickster

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Neelie knee!
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2017, 06:37:27 PM »
My Physio always says heat (not oil, a heat pad or hot water bottle) to loosen tightness before exercise (as long as no inflammation). Ice to manage inflammation especially after edercise

I wouldn't be doing any body weight squats and definitely no heavy leg weights while you have any sort of pain!! Get advice from gym trainer if they are qualified to give advice

Low or better no impact only. Chronic Inflammation can certainly accelerate arthritis in an already traumatised knee. No to mention the risk of retesting the meniscus

Take it very easy for a few months while you have any pain, inflammation, stiffness, frustrating but you don't want more issues than you started with

Is there really no professional advice you can get?
« Last Edit: October 11, 2017, 06:42:45 PM by Vickster »
LK arthroscopy 8/2/10
2nd scope on 16/12/10
RK MRI lat meniscus tear
8/1/15 RK Steroid jab,
RK arthroscopy on 5/2/15

Offline Tashfeen

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2017, 04:05:51 AM »
Squats and gym weight exercises don't hurt infact I feel relief for a while and I am not planning to play football for at least an year. I hardly feel any Inflammation, just pain in medial side of knee while going upstairs forcefully and downstairs only if I put much force. And stretch or tightness at back of knee upon complete knee extension ( pressing knee downwards)Another thing is I had car accident before surgery and my knee slammed against dashboard I didn't get PCL as MRI report for it was negative and arthroscopy was clean but there is black scar on my shin couple of inches below knee which is little black bump on shin and it hurts when I press it and has been hurting going downstairs since few days when I pressed it few days ago.

Online Vickster

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Neelie knee!
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2017, 02:19:31 PM »
I'm sure you know what's best for your knee

All the best :)
LK arthroscopy 8/2/10
2nd scope on 16/12/10