Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Wall squat exercise patellar injury  (Read 177 times)

Offline Christine10S

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Wall squat exercise patellar injury
« on: October 07, 2017, 05:48:30 PM »
Hi everyone- I'm almost 49, played lots of tennis the past 20 years, but never had knee issues.  Like never.  I was having slight knee pain in mid August, so decided to start doing some quad exercises to build the strength up. Plus we were going on a 17 day river cruise in Europe in Sept & wanted to be ready.  I had a wrist injury 7/3 & hadn't done much physical activity since.  Tried a wall sit on 8/31 (that I hadn't done in a few years!) & felt tremendous pain down my lower legs so I stopped ASAP.  The pain wasn't in the patellar area at that point. Had an x ray, just showed minor arthritis, but was ok.  Had pain below & around the kneecaps- was worried sick that I had a partial patellar tear! Had a full knee exam done- Was told it was a knee sprain, but both knees.  Was put on 5 day pack of steroids & given 500mg naproxen for the trip, which I used often! Left for the trip a week later- was good the day we left... but we walked a lot everyday, iced at night, but was still in a lot of pain. 

Came home, rested a week, felt better, started PT stretching (hamstrings & calves) & a few stepping exercises.  Therapist thought it might an alignment issue at this point.  Did great the 1st week. Hardly any pain at all! At one point had to remind myself that I had a knee injury! Went to PT this past Tues- added 1 more exercise, felt great- then a few hours later went to work.  This might be the strangest post, but I was wearing a new pair of jeans - that were tight around the knee area.  Had lots of pain in both knees! After 2 hours I was finally able to get a new pair of relaxed pants, & the pain got much better, but was still there- below the knee caps.  It's now Sat, 4 days later,  & the area is still painful below & around the knee caps...just like when I got the injury! :(.  I feel a pinch below my knees when I walk...:(
I just was wondering if anyone could give me advice as to whether the jeans could have pulled my kneecap away from the tendon & caused a partial tear- or if it caused an alignment issue again- I'm so worried!!  I can bend down & get in out of my car, & even steps only hurt a little... but it's a constant pain below both kneecaps, & im back on the naproxen which is helping w the pain.  Thank you so much everyone!  I'm saying a prayer for all who have posted on this site!!  God bless you all!
« Last Edit: October 07, 2017, 06:10:33 PM by Christine10S »

Offline Brandon123

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 14
Re: Wall squat exercise patellar injury
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2017, 09:59:59 AM »
This might be the strangest post, but I was wearing a new pair of jeans - that were tight around the knee area.  Had lots of pain in both knees! After 2 hours I was finally able to get a new pair of relaxed pants, & the pain got much better, but was still there- below the knee caps.  It's now Sat, 4 days later,  & the area is still painful below & around the knee caps...just like when I got the injury! :(.  I feel a pinch below my knees when I walk...:(
I just was wondering if anyone could give me advice as to whether the jeans could have pulled my kneecap away from the tendon & caused a partial tear- or if it caused an alignment issue again- I'm so worried!!

Hi Christine,

I don't think the tight jeans could have caused any real tear or alignment issues, but I do not find it implausible that they have pulled/put pressure on the knee cap, and hence irritated soft tissues/already sensitive areas under/around the knee cap. This also sounds crazy, but I noticed that tight slim fit jeans (popular among young men these days) creates a pressure on my knee cap (especially when bending the knee) and hence aggravates my pain from patella cartilage damage. Skip those tight jeans, take it easy, and don't overdo PT, and I am sure you will better :)

Offline Christine10S

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Re: Wall squat exercise patellar injury
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2017, 11:09:46 AM »
Hi Brandon-
Can't thank you enough for the feedback.  I'm tossing all the jeans! I will def take it easy at PT.  Just never had an injury like this one, want to see how others have handled it.
Thanks again!
-Christine 🎾

support