Advertisement - Hide this advert





Author Topic: Worried about a possible retear...  (Read 450 times)

Offline adao

  • MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • **
  • Posts: 33
  • Liked: 2
Worried about a possible retear...
« on: October 04, 2017, 10:46:23 PM »
Hi all
I posted some time ago that I had ACL reconstruction and this evening I felt the same knee give way and a few clicks occur

im currently able to walk to some extent but it's very painful and my knee doesn't feel particularly stable

It is currently swollen and I'm icing it down.

Any advice on what I can do to try check it, or should I just go see a gp/a&e asap?

Thanks

Offline Vickster

  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • *****
  • *
  • Posts: 3883
  • Liked: 281
  • Neelie knee!
Re: Worried about a possible retear...
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2017, 11:32:57 PM »
Contact your Physio?
Came off bike onto concrete 9/9/09
LK arthroscopy 8/2/10
2nd scope on 16/12/10
LK New MRI shows lat & medial meniscus tear & other stuff
RK MRI lat meniscus tear
8/1/15 RK Steroid jab,
RK arthroscopy on 5/2/15
Lateral meniscus trim, excision of hoffa's fat pad, chondral stabilisation

Offline adao

  • MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • **
  • Posts: 33
  • Liked: 2
Re: Worried about a possible retear...
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2017, 09:11:00 PM »
I've had both a GP and Physio perform the typical Lachman test/anterior drawer test

GP said there was a slight laxity during the anterior drawer test so was quite unsure and has referred me to an Orthopaedic surgery.
Physio said something quite similar and didnt notice much movement when attempting it.

My worry right now is that it is still quite badly swollen and achey because of it. Is it possible that the swelling of the knee impacts the above tests?

:( booking myself in for some scans this week hopefully so i can find out for sure. Fingers crossed

Offline adao

  • MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • **
  • Posts: 33
  • Liked: 2
Re: Worried about a possible retear...
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2018, 04:56:45 PM »
Seems after all this, i've re ruptured my ligament in the same knee :(
Some Medial ligament rupture and the majority of my ACL ruptured (supposedly its hanging on by a thread as there is some stability...)

Was given option of taking physio and building leg strength and avoid surgery (if physio doesnt go well, its surgery anyway) or go on the waiting list for surgery asap (which I have chosen to do)

This time having to go through NHS in the UK so its a bit of a long wait unfortunately...

The only other question posed by the consultant i saw was which type of revision I would prefer - from the other hamstring, patella or allograft.

Having already used the hamstring in my left leg, they would (i assume) use the hamstring from my right leg... My worry is that due to the re rupture occuring within 24 months, is this considered an ACL recon failure?
The consultant said he generally goes for allograft, mentioning that although older reserach has indicated greater risk of failure, with the better treatment of ligaments now in more modern medicine it is supposedly quite strong etc...

On the spot I just said hamstring again as it was what i had before and the reading i've done seems to support this. But i'm always going to second guess myself which is what i'm worried about.

Offline Vickster

  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • *****
  • *
  • Posts: 3883
  • Liked: 281
  • Neelie knee!
Re: Worried about a possible retear...
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2018, 04:59:40 PM »
Id go with what the consultant recommends based on his experience of similar cases. Does he do a lot of revisions? Or should you get a second opinion?

Although personally I find allograft a bit creepy. Not something Id choose personally unless life saving or the only option

Patella I think often means that kneeling is v difficult afterwards if thats important for your job say
« Last Edit: January 08, 2018, 05:01:27 PM by Vickster »
Came off bike onto concrete 9/9/09
LK arthroscopy 8/2/10
2nd scope on 16/12/10
LK New MRI shows lat & medial meniscus tear & other stuff
RK MRI lat meniscus tear
8/1/15 RK Steroid jab,
RK arthroscopy on 5/2/15
Lateral meniscus trim, excision of hoffa's fat pad, chondral stabilisation

Offline Chiaretta

  • MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • *
  • Posts: 3
  • Liked: 0
Re: Worried about a possible retear...
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2018, 07:19:32 PM »
I had an ACL revision (together with HTO revision) four months ago and had the same dilemma. Didn't really like the idea of an allograft at first, but after discussing it with the surgeon, that's what I ended up having. He told me that although some studies indicated a greater risk of failure, he had used it many times without problems. Patellar autograft didn't have his preference; apparently many patients are left with pain/complications around the patella. Hamstrings from the other knee was also an option, but he really recommended going for the allograft, as my knee was grossly unstable. My other surgeon, who performed the HTO, agreed with this, so I felt comfortable to go ahead with the allograft.