Author Topic: New Here ( 25 years old, 5 surgeries, ACL & FCL reconstruction)  (Read 128 times)

Offline Tyga25

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
New Here ( 25 years old, 5 surgeries, ACL & FCL reconstruction)
« on: October 04, 2017, 04:58:14 PM »
Hi everyone,

My name is Steve, I am 25 years old and live in Chicago. Man, I have quite the story, I will try to be as brief as I can.  If you don't want to read all of this, feel free to skip to the last paragraph lol. I tore my ACL playing basketball in 2011. I opted to go to Canada and get a LARS synthetic ligament reconstruction (1/2 recovery time, family friend had great experience with it). The surgery went great, but being 17 and desperately wanting to play basketball my senior year of high school, I came back too soon and re-injured my knee. And that is where the story gets ugly. I returned to Canada and got my graft 'tightened', but even after physical therapy it did not feel normal.

Continuing to have instability issues, my family and I decided that maybe I should try traditional ACL reconstruction. Great, let's do it. First surgeon opened me up, harvested my patellar tendon graft, only to realize he was unfamiliar with the LARS surgery drill sites, and could not secure the ACL graft effectively. So basically he just meddled around in my knee for an hour and then "stitched back" my patellar graft and woke me up to give me the news.

After recovering from the surgery, I visited a well-known 'chiropractic orthopedist' in my area who understands complex joint injuries. He told me that when I re-injured my knee, he thought that I had damaged my posterior corner (aka posterolateral corner) and he thought I needed to have an ACL revision AND have my FCL reconstructed.

So, I found a knee surgeon in Vail, CO who specializes in posterior corner injuries. I did a 2 part surgery, first to fill my drill sites, and the next to reconstruct the ACL and 'reinforce' my FCL ( I used allograft this time). Here I am 2 years post-op and although my knee feels stable and I think Dr. LaPrade did a great job, my knee has chronic, residual swelling. The only time in the past 2 years when my knee truly felt normal was when I was on anti-inflammatory meds for a gum infection. I was took 800 mg Ibuprofen for 10 days and suddenly my knee felt really good.

Long story short (5 surgeries later), I am considering finding a doctor who specialized in stem cell treatments to help repair some of the damage I have done to my poor knee. Every time I do any physical activity, my knee gets irritated and swells. Like I said, the only thing that helps is anti-inflammatory meds. I think the ACL & FCL grafts are very good, but from all of the times I have re-injured my knee + all of the surgeries, I would bet all the money to my name that I have some cartilage/ meniscus damage, or just general osteoarthritis and that is what acts up every time I do physical activity. Do you guys think stem cells might be able to help reduce the chronic inflammation in my knee? Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Offline Brandon123

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 12
Re: New Here ( 25 years old, 5 surgeries, ACL & FCL reconstruction)
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2017, 08:50:40 PM »
Stem cells are difficult, some OS say it is a hoax, others say it is producing great results. Doesn't seem to be any consensus whether it works or not. I am definitely not an expert, but from the reading I have done on this forum and other places there are also big differences between different stem cell treatments. So my best advice is try to get educated on this before doing anything (as these treatments tend to be very expensive). Start on this forum, there are a lot of threads discussing stem cells. Maybe somebody with more knowledge can step in and give their view?

Also, I think key here would be to get to the bottom with the question whether you actually have any cartilage/meniscus damage/osteoarthritis. I have cartilage damage/osteoarthritis under my knee cap, and it creates a chronic inflammation that flares up really easily.   

Advertisement