Author Topic: Knee Manipulation  (Read 142 times)

Offline Sharkey

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 7
  • Ruptured Quad left knee 4/19/14, Right TKR 8/1/17
Knee Manipulation
« on: October 02, 2017, 08:15:10 AM »
Hi good people !!    I had a TKR on my right knee on Aug 1st. After 6-8 weeks of PT, and using a Dynasplint, my knee still won't get straight. Laying on a table, you can put your fist in the space between my knee and the table , so my OS has me scheduled to have my right knee manipulated on Oct 3rd.  After all the exercise and torture I've been through, this is not news I wanted to hear, as I've never had a manipulation before. I'm very anxious about it, because even after 6-8 weeks, I still have pain and stiffness, and concerned the pain will be worse after, as I have a low tolerance for it. OS says I will go to PT immediately after the manipulation, and everyday the rest of the week.  Can someone brief me on what to expect, as I'm very apprehensive about this, and need to ease my mind. Thx for any and all replies.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2017, 08:26:48 AM by Sharkey »

Offline Clarkey

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 50
  • Never put 100% trust into a negative MRI scan!
Re: Knee Manipulation
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2017, 05:28:28 PM »
Hi Sharkey,

How did your right knee manipulation go on Tuesday, sorry I did not advise before your manipulation, that is daunting as you have to be put under a general anaesthetic. Has arthrofibrosis been mentioned by your OS with excessive scar tissue restricting the movement in the knee.

Here is a good tutorial link from Sheila the owner and founder of KneeGuru.

http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEnotes/videos/what-arthrofibrosis

Feel free to join an ongoing topic debate started by Kay a member that has also had a TKR, she is now suffering from arthrofibrosis post-op and finding a way none surgically to reduce the symptoms.

http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEtalk/index.php?topic=70186.0

Might benefit signing up to 'Patients Like Me' forum where Kay has added a arthrofibrosis section and can add other areas where you can share your thoughts and ideas with other members. Does not have to be purely on knee problems, will find most health and well being conditions, if you cannot find your health condition can add the condition yourself.

https://www.patientslikeme.com/conditions/2991

Good luck with your TKR recovery.

[email protected]
RK: PFPS, Arthrofibrosis & Tendinopathy
Scope #3 scheduled January 2018
18/07/14 Anterior interval release  
16/11/09 Medial plica excision & fat pad trim
Cortisone injections: R-Hip - FAI 04/04/17  RK 23/12/15, 22/10/15, 13/05/15, 30/03/10, 23/04/09

Offline Sharkey

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2017, 09:30:35 AM »
Thanks for the replies and links Clarkey.  My manipulation went well, or at least my OS says so.  The first night after I was pain free, but lately it seems the stiffness and soreness has returned. He ordered me a CPM machine for home, and I've been using it 4-8 hrs a day. Maybe I'm being a little impatient, but I'm really not noticing any progress yet. My knee has straightened out considerably, but I'm about 4 -8 degrees away. When I walk, I still notice it's bent. Thanks again for the replies.

Offline Clarkey

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 50
  • Never put 100% trust into a negative MRI scan!
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2017, 12:36:12 PM »
Thanks for the replies and links Clarkey.  My manipulation went well, or at least my OS says so.  The first night after I was pain free, but lately it seems the stiffness and soreness has returned. He ordered me a CPM machine for home, and I've been using it 4-8 hrs a day. Maybe I'm being a little impatient, but I'm really not noticing any progress yet. My knee has straightened out considerably, but I'm about 4 -8 degrees away. When I walk, I still notice it's bent. Thanks again for the replies.

Glad that your manipulation went well, the CPM machine will be beneficial improving your ROM over time that is a slow and gradual process. It can be hard to remain positive when you have setbacks after recovering from a TKR.  Are you seeing a physiotherapist on a regular basis? My mum had a left knee replacement last year and benefited from seeing a physio. She is still stiff and is able to manage day to day activities just needs to concentrate straighten out her knee to see improvements.

nick[email protected]
« Last Edit: October 08, 2017, 01:33:52 PM by Clarkey »
RK: PFPS, Arthrofibrosis & Tendinopathy
Scope #3 scheduled January 2018
18/07/14 Anterior interval release  
16/11/09 Medial plica excision & fat pad trim
Cortisone injections: R-Hip - FAI 04/04/17  RK 23/12/15, 22/10/15, 13/05/15, 30/03/10, 23/04/09

Offline Sharkey

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2017, 04:20:11 PM »
Not seeing a physiotherapist currently, but may consider. I've noticed depression setting in from time to time, wondering if I did the correct thing, having this surgery. That and the fact I've taken a major hit financially by being out of work with no compensation, doesn't seem to help matters either.  I'll just keep chugging along, and hope things improve over time. Thx again !!

Advertisement

support