Author Topic: Medial patellofemoral ligament reconstruction  (Read 154 times)

Offline rocket61912

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Medial patellofemoral ligament reconstruction
« on: September 29, 2017, 12:12:34 AM »
I dislocated my left kneecap a little over 2 months ago. Since then I'm still experiencing minor knee pain and instability in that leg with any kind of physical exertion. I was in PT for about a month and it made the problem worse. My doctor suggested medial patellofemoral ligament reconstruction. My knee caps are shallow and I have knock knees. My question is has anyone on this website had this surgery and what was the recovery like and did they experience another dislocation after having the surgery?

Offline ca0394

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Re: Medial patellofemoral ligament reconstruction
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2017, 03:11:12 PM »
Hi,

Have you only had the one dislocation? If so I wouldn’t suggest getting the surgery right away. Hopefully your knee won’t dislocate again and the pain will fade over time.

I had MPFL reconstruction in June this year after recurrent dislocations over 7 years (I’m unsure of the exact number but somewhere around 15). It was at this point where MPFL reconstruction was advised for me. Recovery is hard, and I wasn’t aware of just how hard it would be before I had the surgery.

Definitely do some in depth research into MPFL and get some advice from professionals as everyone’s individual case is different. But I wouldn’t jump into it after a single dislocation.

Hope this helps :)

Offline reflex_nl

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 4
Re: Medial patellofemoral ligament reconstruction
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2017, 06:37:12 PM »
fully agree with the previous reply. Here you need to have at least a couple of dislocations before reconstruction, recovery can take up to 6 mths.
RK Patella Luxation in 2000
RK Scope grade 2 damage to patella
RK PT for 4 mths, recovered 90% after 4 years
LK Patella Luxation in Oct'16
LK Scope grade 4 damage to patella Nov'16
LK PT ongoing... in a lot of pain...

Advertisement

support