Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Damage to cartilage under knee cap  (Read 245 times)

Offline Dracneya

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Damage to cartilage under knee cap
« on: September 27, 2017, 03:02:45 PM »
Just had an MRI after an injury that took place 7 years ago. It found I had damage to the cartilage under my knee cap. Not surprising... But I'm wondering why it's giving me more problems now than ever before. My doctor wants to use steroid injections to help the inflammation, which I'm all for if it helps but what is the long. Term? Or what if that doesn't help?

I weigh 200 pounds so my mom believes it's my weight that has made the pain get worse. Could that be the case?

Online Vickster

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 267
  • Neelie knee!
Re: Damage to cartilage under knee cap
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2017, 03:09:42 PM »
Steroid injections aren't a long term fix and actually they can damage the cartilage more. I'd avoid if at all possible and use ice, physiotherapy, exercise and yes importantly weight loss to help support, strengthen and offload the knee (by having the muscles in the leg work well). Without any of that, whatever is causing the inflammation will just cause it again

Good luck, knee issues aren't easy. Nor is weight loss, a slimming club might help as well as increasing exercise like swimming (avoid frog kick) and cycling (on a well set up bike)
Came off bike onto concrete 9/9/09
LK arthroscopy 8/2/10
2nd scope on 16/12/10
LK New MRI shows lat & medial meniscus tear & other stuff
RK MRI lat meniscus tear
8/1/15 RK Steroid jab,
RK arthroscopy on 5/2/15
Lateral meniscus trim, excision of hoffa's fat pad, chondral stabilisation

Offline Torao

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 7
Re: Damage to cartilage under knee cap
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2017, 07:59:14 PM »
It could be weight, it could also be that the damage has slowly been getting worse. Ice and NSAIDS can help if there is inflammation as can wrapping the knee overnight.

If you are doing a lot of running or jumping, things that are load bearing on the knee, you might want to consider reducing those, or get analyzed to see if you are doing something incorrectly. My less bad knee got a lot better after I had the worse knee fixed because I had been subconsciously doing a disproportional amount of landing on that leg.

The long term solutions for cartilage damage are pretty rough in terms of the recovery, but in my case I've had some pretty good results.