Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Arthroscopy, Chondroplasty, Microfracture w/ Biocartilage Application and TTO  (Read 817 times)

Offline Brandon123

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 13
Glad to hear your recovery is going well! Also very true everything you said about the mental part. Looking forward to hear about the final outcome of everything :) Did they say approx. how long it will take to fully recover from this rather major procedure?

At the moment, it's looking like this:
  • Another 1-2 weeks in the brace locked - putting me around the 6 weeks post-op mark
  • Another 2 months of physical therapy (3 months in total)
  • 3 months to start being cleared for moderate exercise (jogging, more weight, resistance, etc
  • 6 months until cleared for more vigorous exercise
  • One year for complete rehabilitation and full sport/contact clearance

Ok, thanks for the info. It is a long rehab, but already at the 3 months mark you should then be able to function more or less normally, which will be such a relief.

Can I also ask you about your previous surgeries? You said you had 3-4 previous arthroscopes/chondroplasty. Did any of them help?

I had a chondroplasty for my damaged patella cartilage 2009, and it really helped up until 2015, when everything started to go downhill again. After 2 years of unsuccessful conservative treatment, I wonder if a new chondroplasty could buy me another few years of relief. However, it would be a gamble as these surgeries for these conditions do not always have good outcomes.

In other words, having a lot of experiences of arthroscopes/chondroplasty for patella cartilage damage, what is your opinion of these procedures?

Offline Meralus

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 2
Hi Brandon,

No problem at all, I'm happy to help! It's certainly a long and frustrating road to recovery. Honestly, I'm lucky in the sense I've had an easier road than most people (Especially reading some posts on the board), but I will admit, I found the found the loss of independence the hardest part.

Correct. I've had four previous arthroscopes/chondroplasty prior to this procedure.

The timeline was as follows:
  • October 2014 - Arthroscope/chondroplasty in Bozeman, MT, after denudation from a previous skiing injury combined with a recent flag football injury. Quick and easy recovery. Felt significantly better after this surgery.
  • June 2016 - Arthroscope/chondroplasty in Sydney, Australia, after further degrading in the knee (no trauma), it just keep deteriorating. Had several large lose fragments in the patella femoral area. Grade 2/3. Recovery was longer than the first surgery but was significantly better as the loose bodies were causing clicking/locking.
  • June 2017 - Arthroscope/chondroplasty in Sydney, Australia, again after the knee kept degrading on it's own, starting noticing more pain during sliding/bending the knee when sitting down (friction from knee cap). MRI showed extensive chondral loss, damage to multiple compartments - all Grade 3/4, bone-on-bone grinding and multiple osteophyte formation. Was in significant pain after surgery, on crutches for a good chunk of time, and physical therapy was a struggle
  • July 2017 - Arthroscope/chondroplasty in Bozeman, MT, after flying back from Australia, I was at home when I "somehow" tore the blood vessels inside my knee and bled into the joint (large scale hematoma) requiring the surgeon to go in, flush the join out, sweep the gutters, remove any dried blood, etc. This surgery was preformed as an ER procedure.

Do I regret doing them? Yes and no.

Why yes? In the space of 3 years I've had 5 knee surgeries, that is a lot of trauma and well above the usual time-frame for one to expect within promoting joint health. Usually, an arthroscope is meant to buy the patient years of relief but I was not so lucky. I wish I had taken a different approach in October 2014 and opted for different methods of intervention before going for surgery, as I believe it was a catalyst to a downward spiral.

Why no? I had loose bodies/fragments in there, the locking/clicking was frustrating along with the pain. Not to mention, I had no control over how quick the joint deteriorated and fell apart.

Ultimately, I think I would have been okay should I have never had this random bleeding into the knee issue, but it was something I had no control over. The difference in my situation is, I'm 24 years old and all the surgeons were worried that a delayed intervention into restoring the cartilage would further accelerate the need for a knee replacement - something they will no do on a young patient.

I'd approach a second scope very carefully, if you can push through the day-to-day pain, I'd recommend it until you absolutely need a scope. These things are very touch and go and in some cases, can cause more issues and problem. For example, my third surgery caused trauma that warranted bleeding into the joint requiring a fourth surgery that lead into needing to do this major procedure.

Hopefully that helps!

Offline Brandon123

• Forum Faithful
Hi Meralus,

Thanks for the info! You have been through some surgeries indeed, let's hope this one is the last one for a loong time :)

I wish I had taken a different approach in October 2014 and opted for different methods of intervention before going for surgery, as I believe it was a catalyst to a downward spiral.

Do you have any specific 'methods of intervention' in mind here? I find it really difficult to find any sort of treatments that sound promising for a young (I'm 35) person with advanced patellofemoral cartilage damage. And a second arthroscopy that sets of a downward spiral is what I am afraid of (there are several such stories on the forum). At the same time, as previously stated, there are a limited set of options on the table (and I'm barely able to work and function normally any more).

Offline Jenfern

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
WELL DONE on doing so well.

Sorry I know this is a post op, but I'm struggiling to find anyone who has a TTT so recenrtly on here.

I had a consultation yesterday and I was told a few things that made me feel disheartened . Can I ask if you were told the same or if I need to explore these things further.

1) I was told I will not have my leg in a brace after this TTt/tto and chondroplasty op. I will be straight away to crutches.

2) I was told I cant have a wheelchair.

3) I was told to not hope to be pain free after or to be able to do more down the line, i.e run etc as I cant now either but just hope for no dislocations.

4) and I will have scars and knees that stick out his words 'that I will hate'

I understand I am being prepared but there wasn't much positive feedback of outcomes or how this could make life more fulfilling

any thoughts ? thanks Jen x

Offline Susan17

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 7
Sorry there...I had an Autograft ACL patellar repair. I just wanted to say your doctor sounds like an A$$ Hat and I wouldn't give a rat's patootie what he said about how I will look and what my limits were in the future.

I was told I wasn't healing fast enough and though I am not perfect, I can walk now. I was told I would need manipulation under anesthesia. I didn't. I wouldn't give a crap what they say. Tell them next time to "kiss your grits!"
6/20/17 - ACL Tear
7/25/17 - ACL Patella Autograft Reconstruction
8/11/17 - Started PT

Offline Vickster

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 264
  • Neelie knee!
Agreed. He sounds like an old school male British surgeon unfortunately! Most are now retiring luckily  :)

Can you get a second opinion even if to put your mind at rest. Jonathan Eldridge in Bristol is a recognised patella expert in the U.K. (Patients of his who have posted on here seem happy with him and their outcomes). He has a private and NHS practice.

Scars aren't nice especially when you are young but then you have to weigh up the potential cosmetics against the benefit correcting what is causing your knee issues and reducing pain and improving function.

If the scars prove an issue down the line, perhaps see a dermatologist and see what they suggest. Once healed, rubbing twice a day with bio oil can help as well as desensitising the scar and helping with the nerve healing and numbness
Came off bike onto concrete 9/9/09
LK arthroscopy 8/2/10
2nd scope on 16/12/10
LK New MRI shows lat & medial meniscus tear & other stuff
RK MRI lat meniscus tear
8/1/15 RK Steroid jab,
RK arthroscopy on 5/2/15
Lateral meniscus trim, excision of hoffa's fat pad, chondral stabilisation

Offline Meralus

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
Do you have any specific 'methods of intervention' in mind here? I find it really difficult to find any sort of treatments that sound promising for a young (I'm 35) person with advanced patellofemoral cartilage damage. And a second arthroscopy that sets of a downward spiral is what I am afraid of (there are several such stories on the forum). At the same time, as previously stated, there are a limited set of options on the table (and I'm barely able to work and function normally any more).

Hi Brandon,

Physical Therapy, injections, bracing, or even just simply delaying the procedure instead of jumping right into my first knee scope. Thinking of it now, it's hard to know how I would've felt as it could've also made it much worse by delaying it. I guess it's one of those "What if" scenarios. It's hard to predict exactly how one will react to a knee scope. As while it is a keyhole procedure and relatively minor compared to other knee surgeries, there is still trauma done to the knee and there is items taken out of the knee that form a normal part/structure of your knee - which comes as a huge shock to your body, understandably.

WELL DONE on doing so well.

Sorry I know this is a post op, but I'm struggiling to find anyone who has a TTT so recenrtly on here.

I had a consultation yesterday and I was told a few things that made me feel disheartened . Can I ask if you were told the same or if I need to explore these things further.

1) I was told I will not have my leg in a brace after this TTt/tto and chondroplasty op. I will be straight away to crutches.

2) I was told I cant have a wheelchair.

3) I was told to not hope to be pain free after or to be able to do more down the line, i.e run etc as I cant now either but just hope for no dislocations.

4) and I will have scars and knees that stick out his words 'that I will hate'

I understand I am being prepared but there wasn't much positive feedback of outcomes or how this could make life more fulfilling

any thoughts ? thanks Jen x

Hi Jen,

I will try to answer your questions as best as I can.

1) Absolutely not. I was told I would be in the brace for a minimum of six weeks in locked position, and longer with it unlocked to protect the knee and assist with strength after muscle atrophy

2) This one I can't comment on, as it was something I never discussed. I believe the reasoning may be to prevent atrophy on the leg and ensure you keep a degree of mobility

3) I'm in a bit of pain now, but it's manageable. Some TTT patients have much more pain, it really depends how one reacts to the surgery. Is the pain unbearable? No. I've been painkiller free since my third week post-op apart from the odd Tylenol here and there to take away some pain from being mobile all day. As for activities, my surgeon said I can expect to start doing more walking/day-to-day chores around the 2-3 month mark, running/exercise around 6 month mark and full clearance around that 12 month mark. (ie. I will be able to ski again)

4) I have a 6 inch scar, I love it. Everyone that sees it says it's awesome. Scars are cool. If you're worried about it, once you hit that 5-6 week post op mark and you can apply ointment use special creams that assist with scar healing and it will pretty much be 99% gone within a few years

Hope this helps!

Offline Susan17

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 7
lol....I love my scars:)
6/20/17 - ACL Tear
7/25/17 - ACL Patella Autograft Reconstruction
8/11/17 - Started PT

Offline Vickster

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 264
  • Neelie knee!
Weirdo ;)

Mine are ok other than the one in the middle of my shin that I have thanks to some idiot knocking me off my bike and causing a huge later infected haematoma!

I will admit the thought of the scarring with a TKR is very ofutying,  not to mention the metal! However in 10 or more years time I'll probably care less
Came off bike onto concrete 9/9/09
LK arthroscopy 8/2/10
2nd scope on 16/12/10
LK New MRI shows lat & medial meniscus tear & other stuff
RK MRI lat meniscus tear
8/1/15 RK Steroid jab,
RK arthroscopy on 5/2/15
Lateral meniscus trim, excision of hoffa's fat pad, chondral stabilisation

Offline Brandon123

• Forum Faithful
Meralus, how are you doing?

Offline Meralus

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
Meralus, how are you doing?

Hi Brandon,

Sorry for the belated response. I've had a very busy week.

I have been getting along well. Still on the brace when I'm mobile. However, it is unlocked and I hardly notice I'm wearing it (Unless it likes to slide down my leg, which it does depending what pants I'm wearing). Need to wear it for a few more weeks.

Around the house I'm allowed to have it off for a few hours a day and I don't need it when I shower/sleep, so that is a great help!

Pain is non-existent, PT is going along great (albeit, it's difficult and I push myself). Still some tenderness to the area and theres a bit of scar tissue build-up. My biggest complaint honestly is just the length of the recovery and understanding that I still have months and months to go!

Offline Brandon123

• Forum Faithful
Glad to hear you are doing great! The long recovery must of course be frustrating, but now you have at least passed the major hurdle.