Author Topic: 13 weeks post op ACL surgery complications  (Read 131 times)

Offline Ajm246

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
13 weeks post op ACL surgery complications
« on: September 13, 2017, 12:13:02 PM »
I am 13 weeks post op from a hamstring reconstruction on my left ACL. I originally tore it playing soccer in May this year and got surgery in June. Everything has been going really well. I started jumping last week and a little bit of light jogging. Two days ago, I was walking to class on a flat surface and all of a sudden I started to get sharp pains in my knee with every step I took. That eventually stopped, then I started to get a grinding/crunching feeling in my knee that was very loud. It was not painful, just annoying. My knee swelled up a lot and I lost some range of motion. Trainer said it was probably scar tissue, but I was not sure. Now two days later, sharp pains have gone away but knee is very tight/swollen and I only have about 90 degrees range of motion (full extension) I don't see how I could have done anything to it since it happened when I was just walking and I did nothing to aggravate it that day I am in college right now, 3 hours from my surgeon so I can't easily make a visit to them, I tried to call yesterday but they never called back. Do you think I could have re damaged the graft?

Online Vickster

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 254
  • Neelie knee!
Re: 13 weeks post op ACL surgery complications
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2017, 01:29:08 PM »
If I were you, I'd Take it properly easy for the next couple of weeks, including dialling back on rehab. RICE the knee. Take an anti inflammatory med if needed.. Use crutches if you relay need to for a few days. Did you have anything else done, like meniscus repair?

Seems unlikely you've damaged the graft without twisting, unless it wasn't right in the first place, although it is still very vulnerable at that so of time post op

If not better in a few weeks, try the surgeon again if the physio can't help
Came off bike onto concrete 9/9/09
LK arthroscopy 8/2/10
2nd scope on 16/12/10
LK New MRI shows lat & medial meniscus tear & other stuff
RK MRI lat meniscus tear
8/1/15 RK Steroid jab,
RK arthroscopy on 5/2/15
Lateral meniscus trim, excision of hoffa's fat pad, chondral stabilisation

Offline Ajm246

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2017, 03:01:47 PM »
It was only ACL, no mensicus or anything. My only worry is that I can't really bend my knee past 90 degrees at this point and it's quite swollen

Online Vickster

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 254
  • Neelie knee!
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2017, 03:15:57 PM »
Elevate above your heart, ice for 15 minutes several times a day. Ankle pumps to try to disperse the swelling
Came off bike onto concrete 9/9/09
LK arthroscopy 8/2/10
2nd scope on 16/12/10
LK New MRI shows lat & medial meniscus tear & other stuff
RK MRI lat meniscus tear
8/1/15 RK Steroid jab,
RK arthroscopy on 5/2/15
Lateral meniscus trim, excision of hoffa's fat pad, chondral stabilisation

Offline mtngirl

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2017, 06:55:01 PM »
To damage the graft you need to really do a twisty force move.

I think maybe you just are having a delayed reaction to the new jumping/movements. We use that joint cushioning muscles inside the knee. I had shooting pains and things as well. I often can feel the screws in my leg and they are sharp pains (the screws that hold the graft in place - someone on another forum didn't know she has bone holes drilled or screws - so that's why I mention that in case you didn't). The fluid/swelling is preventing you from bending it. Work on getting the swelling down.

As others suggested, I'd just rest, ice and elevate for a while. Even do come compression with an Ace bandage wrap (I still wear mine). Avoid any pounding movements, nothing pivot like. Skip a week at PT if you have to, but still move it around!

Currently 7 months post patellar tendon autograft.
Backcountry skiing injury 1/29/2017
ACL recon (R, patellar autograft) 2/14/2017

Advertisement

support