Advertisement - Hide this advert





Author Topic: Need to make a decision  (Read 329 times)

Offline jsancken

  • MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • *
  • Posts: 6
  • Liked: 0
Need to make a decision
« on: September 12, 2017, 09:49:18 PM »
Hi,
I've had chronic maltracking patellas since adolescence. I had a lateral release in 2001 and again in 2009 with medial reefing on my left knee. I had a lateral release on my right knee in 2006. I've been having trouble with my right knee for the past 18 months. I was hoping I might just be able to have a second lateral release as I did with my left knee but my new knee surgeon thinks this won't solve the problem and is recommending either a proximal distal realignment with mpfl reconstruction or partial knee replacement with mpfl reconstruction. He is pushing for the partial because of major arthritic damage in my knee. The arthritis is bad but I don't have any symptom from that, no pain, swelling, etc.--just my kneecap not staying in the groove. Doc says if I would have the proximal distal surgery, I would still need knee replacement down the road maybe 5-10 years.

I'm nervous about having major knee surgeries, trying to get peace of mind. I'm a 40 year old woman and I have young children--ages 4 and 1.
Thanks for any of your experiences!
 
« Last Edit: September 12, 2017, 09:51:15 PM by jsancken, Reason: additional info added »

Offline mtngirl

  • MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • *
  • Posts: 13
  • Liked: 0
Re: Need to make a decision
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2017, 06:57:10 PM »
So sorry to hear that! Would this surgery alleviate issues until knee replacement? What is the success rate? Do you have a support system that can help you with your kids? Have you thought of a second opinion? I guess if it were me I'd be scouring scholar journal articles on this subject trying to learn everything.
Backcountry skiing injury 1/29/2017
ACL recon (R, patellar autograft) 2/14/2017

Offline Brandon123

  • Forum Faithful
  • ****
  • Posts: 211
  • Liked: 14
Re: Need to make a decision
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2017, 08:54:52 PM »
Sorry about all your knee problems. Because you are so young (when it comes to knee replacements, it seems that everything under 60 is considered young), and the knee implants and techniques develop all the time, postponing an inevitable knee replacement even 5-10 years may play a big difference in the long run. So unless your OS is rather sure that a replacement is the only reasonable option, I would try to avoid it as long as possible. Like mtngirl suggests, I think a second opinion would be really valuable here as this is an important decision. If for example a second OS says the replacement is the best route, at least you can be more confident in such a decision.   

Offline jsancken

  • MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • *
  • Posts: 6
  • Liked: 0
Re: Need to make a decision
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2017, 09:31:02 PM »
Thanks for the replies, I'm getting a second opinion tomorrow. After doing lots of reading, I don't think I should go for the partial replacement. I hope another doctor can give me some additional options.

Thanks for the encouragement!

Offline Brandon123

  • Forum Faithful
  • ****
  • Posts: 211
  • Liked: 14
Re: Need to make a decision
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2017, 04:45:59 PM »
Sounds good, please let us know what the 2nd doc said. Sometimes a knee replacement is the only option even for young patients, but it should be the last option.

Offline jsancken

  • MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • *
  • Posts: 6
  • Liked: 0
Re: Need to make a decision
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2017, 12:54:48 AM »
Hi,
I had a great appointment with the second doctor. He agreed with my sense that this is too soon for partial replacement. He is suggesting a lengthening of lateral retinaculum and doing a lateral patella facetectomy to remove the bone spurs on my knee cap and at the edge of the trochlear groove. I can do this as an outpatient and the hope is that this will buy me 10 years before a partial knee replacement. I'd love to know what people's experiences are with the facetectomy. He said I'd be able to operate at 80% by 6 weeks. I feel so much better about this option and have tentatively scheduled surgery for December.

 















support