Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Re-injuring Meniscus after surgery?  (Read 236 times)

Offline freshranger

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Re-injuring Meniscus after surgery?
« on: September 12, 2017, 03:31:57 AM »
Hey everyone,

I've been in a terrible mood the past few days because of a possible re-injury to my meniscus. I had a later menisectomy 4 months ago and my SO trimmed the torn part of the meniscus. 3 month later I wasn't 100% pain free as I still had some discomfort and my knee didn't feel the same. However, I slowly started getting back into sports and being active. 4 days ago, I played basketball a bit more competitively, and didn't have any pain or discomfort. I woke up the day after with a swollen knee and some pain in the lateral part of the meniscus. The swelling and the pain has gone down a bit the past few days, but the pain is similar to the pain I had pre-op, although far less. The area is slightly warm to touch. Was wondering if anyone had a similar experience? What are the chances I retore my meniscus? Really hoping this time I won't need a surgery.

THanks

Offline jackson7

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 5
Re: Re-injuring Meniscus after surgery?
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2017, 04:17:44 AM »
no expert, but from what I've read, the chances of re-tearing the meniscus during high impact sports is quite high. 

Even if you did re-tear it, if you don't experience any locking, you may be able to avoid surgery.  With rest, the pain should go down in the next few months (may take up to a year to minimize)...but you may want to take up lower impact activities in order to save what meniscus you have left. 
Dec 2015: slow speed bicycle crash (wet leaves)
Jan 2016: a zillion x-rays & 2 MRIs only showed tendinosis
Mar 2016: bone scan showed "uptake" in all compartments
Aug 2016: cortisone shot (did nothing)
Mar 2017: diag scope (partial med meniscus resection, med fem chondroplasty, synovectomy)

Offline Vickster

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 264
  • Neelie knee!
Re: Re-injuring Meniscus after surgery?
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2017, 07:59:42 AM »
As said, you are more likely to retear a once torn meniscus after surgery, especially the more difficult lateral meniscus and more so if the tissue is degenerate (did the surgeon comment on the state of the tissue).

As sugggestd, I'd stop high impact sports, running and stick to lower impact such as walking, swimming, cycling. I had a lateral menisectomy, have degenerate meniscus and arthritis and I've been told to avoid all running. RICE, gentle physio exercises, rub sore areas with anti-inflammatory gel
Came off bike onto concrete 9/9/09
LK arthroscopy 8/2/10
2nd scope on 16/12/10
LK New MRI shows lat & medial meniscus tear & other stuff
RK MRI lat meniscus tear
8/1/15 RK Steroid jab,
RK arthroscopy on 5/2/15
Lateral meniscus trim, excision of hoffa's fat pad, chondral stabilisation