Author Topic: Fell straight on knee, extremely painful when I move it.  (Read 163 times)

Offline Smash

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Fell straight on knee, extremely painful when I move it.
« on: September 11, 2017, 05:48:47 PM »

I had a moderate fall straight on my knee, but it was on a knee I had trouble with before and I got a huge pain.

Now whenever I try to do anything with the leg, it hurts like hell. If it's bent and I want to straighten it it hurts like hell. If it's straight and I want to bend it, it hurts like hell. Even if I'm not moving anything connected to the knee, the fact that it's moving causes pain. I can't walk except with my other leg. It has been this way for a few hours now. There is no inflammation or swelling. There is no real tenderness around most of the knee, except one area if I press on it then I get a pain. Do I need to receive treatment, could I wait until tomorrow and see if it has improved by then? 

Offline Vickster

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 254
  • Neelie knee!
Re: Fell straight on knee, extremely painful when I move it.
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2017, 08:06:06 PM »
I'd go get it x-rayed for fracture, even if it's not swollen. More than likely just bruised, but best get checked. It's quite possible it'll be more bruised, painful and swollen tomorrow. Ice it this evening, 15 minutes, with ice wrapped in a cloth
« Last Edit: September 11, 2017, 08:31:31 PM by Vickster »
Came off bike onto concrete 9/9/09
LK arthroscopy 8/2/10
2nd scope on 16/12/10
LK New MRI shows lat & medial meniscus tear & other stuff
RK MRI lat meniscus tear
8/1/15 RK Steroid jab,
RK arthroscopy on 5/2/15
Lateral meniscus trim, excision of hoffa's fat pad, chondral stabilisation

Offline Smash

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2017, 08:35:23 PM »
Okay thanks. fwiw someone else looked at it and said it is swollen, I guess I don't really know what swollen looks like. 

What is the time frame I should get it checked in and would it be a bad mistake to leave it go on if it there is a fracture?

Offline Vickster

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Neelie knee!
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2017, 09:08:43 PM »
Go tomorrow :) if not today depending on what country you are in. Either go to the hospital or get your GP to look at it (if you're in the UK for example). Has icing it helped? Keep it elevated too, above your heart preferably
« Last Edit: September 11, 2017, 09:10:18 PM by Vickster »
LK arthroscopy 8/2/10
2nd scope on 16/12/10
RK MRI lat meniscus tear
8/1/15 RK Steroid jab,
RK arthroscopy on 5/2/15

Offline Smash

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2017, 06:36:58 PM »
I went to the doctor the next day and things seemed to be looking up for a while. But gradually things have gone downhill.

The doctor gave me ibuprofen but I read that this drug is mainly for pain, that it didn't help healing very much and I don't like taking drugs so I just took a few and quit. However my knee is still swollen and painful over a week later. I don't want my knee to not be painful and doing awful damage while being unaware of damaging it. I have been elevating, compressing and icing my leg, though I have to admit not icing as much as I should.

I didn't like how the doctor treated me. He didn't seem to care about my story of knocking the knee extremely hard before and how long it took that to clear up fully. He pressed on my knee in a few places and said it seemed fine, he even suggested that this week I might be able to go hiking. But he said if it didn't come back to him this week. He also said that x-rays probably wouldn't be very useful right now because you couldn't see much due to the swelling and said they would wait 3-4 weeks for that. That sounds a bit strange to me since I thought x-rays went right through soft tissue and swelling, I guess there must be something to it.   

He charged I think 70, which is a lot of money for me, I also had to pay 36 for drugs. I don't know why he couldn't give me a referral for an x-ray this week in case I need it. I feel like I'd just be going back for that and he might also ask me to take another prescription. I feel like I'm being scammed.

In the first 3-4 days after the injury there was massive improvement and I can walk without crutches. But it's sore and awkward and if I twist it in any way can be painful. Stairs are difficult, so is stretching my knee from a bent position first. It still seems swollen about the same amount to me. If it kept improving like it did the first few days it would be great now. I know this is me saying it after the fact, but I kind of knew that this injury wasn't going to go away so easily, particularly after what happened the last time. So the doctor's behaviour was a bit annoying. He also said that resting it a lot might be bad for it.   

I am wondering do I need to rest it a lot, could I be doing permanent damage to it, what about the swelling, is he a bad doctor and so on. I don't care about the pain, just if I am doing damage. When I go online all I can find is "go to your doctor", I was hoping I might get a more expert opinion here. 

« Last Edit: September 20, 2017, 06:44:05 PM by Smash »

Offline Vickster

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Neelie knee!
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2017, 08:30:05 PM »
Unfortunately, there are no experts here, just patients like you who may not have had the same

What country are you in? 36 for ibuprofen is  huge amount, a pack in the UK from a supermarket is under a Euro!

For ibuprofen to work, you really need to take it for a good few days at the dose prescribed. Ice has a similar effect, several times a day for 15-20 mins (pack also wrapped in peas).they reduce pain by reducing inflammation and swelling. For pain, you could take paracetamol too (alternate the doses with the ibuprofen so you get good cover for 24 hours)

He probably isn't a bad doctor, if he doesn't think it's fractured, if you've badly bruised the bone, it could take 6-12 months to heal (yes months, knees can heal v slowly).  He's probably right, the swelling will be a source of pain, the pills will help that but you need to give it a week or more (always take the pills with food). Keeping it moving can help the swelling too, just Keep it up when sitting

I don't know what country you are in, but can you go straight to the emergency room for the X-ray? Or go to another doctor if you don't like that one
« Last Edit: September 20, 2017, 08:34:04 PM by Vickster »
LK arthroscopy 8/2/10
2nd scope on 16/12/10
RK MRI lat meniscus tear
8/1/15 RK Steroid jab,
RK arthroscopy on 5/2/15

Offline Smash

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2017, 08:53:29 PM »
Unfortunately, there are no experts here, just patients like you who may not have had the same

What country are you in? 36 for ibuprofen is  huge amount, a pack in the UK from a supermarket is under a Euro!

Ireland. Oh hold on sorry, I forgot to mention I also got "Etoflam" cream and a compressive band for a few euro at the same time. I just looked it up online and apparently Etoflam is about 20. I didn't think cream would cost that much.   

For ibuprofen to work, you really need to take it for a good few days at the dose prescribed. Ice has a similar effect, several times a day for 15-20 mins (pack also wrapped in peas).they reduce pain by reducing inflammation and swelling. For pain, you could take paracetamol too (alternate the doses with the ibuprofen so you get good cover for 24 hours)

He probably isn't a bad doctor, if he doesn't think it's fractured, if you've badly bruised the bone, it could take 6-12 months to heal (yes months, knees can heal v slowly).  He's probably right, the swelling will be a source of pain, the pills will help that but you need to give it a week or more (always take the pills with food). Keeping it moving can help the swelling too, just Keep it up when sitting

I don't know what country you are in, but can you go straight to the emergency room for the X-ray? Or go to another doctor if you don't like that one

Okay thanks a lot for the advice. I think I will see what happens in the next few days. I just want to be sure I'm not walking around permanently damaging anything. 

Offline Vickster

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Neelie knee!
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2017, 08:57:12 PM »
I doubt you are, just take it easy.

Use the cream as prescribed, a local anti inflammatory can be useful

Yes, pharmaceutical prescription creams can cost a lot. Different system there it seems in terms of cost of meds and doctors
« Last Edit: September 20, 2017, 09:11:08 PM by Vickster »
LK arthroscopy 8/2/10
2nd scope on 16/12/10
RK MRI lat meniscus tear
8/1/15 RK Steroid jab,
RK arthroscopy on 5/2/15

Advertisement

support