Author Topic: Steroid injection in one knee,both knees better.  (Read 133 times)

Offline Becs1981

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Steroid injection in one knee,both knees better.
« on: September 10, 2017, 08:57:45 AM »
I had a rapid onset of pain in both knees two years ago,it came on overnight and I haven't had a day's relief since. I am 36,non-sporty and I have never had any trauma related to my knees. I take psychiatric meds which include an anti psychotic which I believe is connected to the pain,but my psychiatrist has told me this couldn't be the case. My GP has settled on the diagnosis of osteoarthritis,but I don't buy it,it doesn't make sense to me. I recently tried to come off my anti p's,but I went a bit loopy so I had to put the dose back up. I can't take Ibuprofen because I'm on Lithium and it interacts,and my GP's solution was to offer me Codeine and sleeping tablets which I can't take because I'm also in recovery from addiction. I tried acupuncture for the pain with no noticeable difference and I finally phoned my GP last week in great distress because I desperately needed some pain relief. He won't send me for a scan,I don't know why,but I've had an X-ray done which showed nothing. He said he would give me a steroid injection to see if it would help,but he would only give me one at a time as they are not recommended for ppl with depression and psychosis,but if it worked he would give me one in the other knee. He administered an injection in my right knee on Thursday and by Friday evening I noticed a difference. What's baffling me tho is that the pain has subsided in BOTH knees. How is this possible? I'm starting to think I'm crazy and that maybe the pain is psychosomatic,except I know it's not,the pain is very real and chronic. Can anyone give me any insight at all and explain how this maybe the case? Any feedback at all would be appreciated.  :) :)

Offline Stilldot

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Re: Steroid injection in one knee,both knees better.
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2017, 09:31:32 AM »
How good is the injection? I never tried to do that.

Offline Vickster

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 254
  • Neelie knee!
Re: Steroid injection in one knee,both knees better.
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2017, 09:33:25 AM »
What's wrong with your knee? Steroid injections can be quite damaging to the bone cartilage if you've not already got arthritis. Look for alternatives if you can
Came off bike onto concrete 9/9/09
LK arthroscopy 8/2/10
2nd scope on 16/12/10
LK New MRI shows lat & medial meniscus tear & other stuff
RK MRI lat meniscus tear
8/1/15 RK Steroid jab,
RK arthroscopy on 5/2/15
Lateral meniscus trim, excision of hoffa's fat pad, chondral stabilisation

Advertisement