Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Light Patella fracture  (Read 251 times)

Offline thatman

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Light Patella fracture
« on: September 09, 2017, 01:23:24 PM »
I'm in my mid-seventies. Five weeks ago I tripped on the pavement and fell headlong with both arms outstretched in front of me.  I was immediately conscious of pain in both knees. I'd grazed the right one (it was bleeding) but the left one had suffered a harder blow.

The next day I had to hold the left leg 'stiff' to walk up stairs, but could walk and bend it without a problem on flat ground. It hurt to kneel on it (which I avoided) but, after a week or so I could kneel on a kneeling pad. It was only after 4 weeks, when there was puffiness due to fluid that I consulted my GP.  An x-ray revealed Lt (light?) patella fracture. I wasn't shown the x-ray, so cannot comment on it.

Prior to that I could walk fast, run for a bus etc without any problem.  But at A&E they fitted me with an enormous leg brace 18ins/46cms long, with internal steels. Within minutes the cast made my knee ache and, because the cast pressed against a muscle at the back of the leg, the muscle couldn't do it's job and it  made walking difficult.  Not to mention being forced to walk stiff-legged. Under my circumstances, is a cast of this size really necessary?

Offline Vickster

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 264
  • Neelie knee!
Re: Light Patella fracture
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2017, 01:30:32 PM »
Lt likely refers to left, shorthand

When are you due back at the fracture clinic? That'll be the time to discuss the brace, treatment etc. Are you under a physio?

Good luck
Came off bike onto concrete 9/9/09
LK arthroscopy 8/2/10
2nd scope on 16/12/10
LK New MRI shows lat & medial meniscus tear & other stuff
RK MRI lat meniscus tear
8/1/15 RK Steroid jab,
RK arthroscopy on 5/2/15
Lateral meniscus trim, excision of hoffa's fat pad, chondral stabilisation

Offline thatman

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2017, 02:00:57 PM »
Hi vickster,  thanks for the quick reply.  Silly me, I should have have realised that Lt meant left!

I'm not under a Physio. My next appointment is on the 18th Sept at the fracture clinic. Regarding the fluid build-up, the A&E doc told me that needle-drainage would incur a risk of introducing outside infection, but my GP was quite willing to do it.  It's not a procedure that I would look forward to anyway!

Offline thatman

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2017, 09:49:19 PM »
I saw the Consultant today. Turns out that my 'fracture' was just a small elongated chip off the kneecap.
Looking at the x-ray, I wouldn't have noticed it if it wasn't pointed out. Regarding the fluid build-up, no treatment was not considered to be necessary. The amount was not substantial and, even if removed, it could still return.

Offline jackson7

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 5
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2017, 01:31:35 AM »
If it's not a massive amount of fluid, it'll probably (eventually) go away, without having a needle jammed in there.

I had quite a bit of fluid build-up from doing too much, too soon, after my scope.  So, after stopping almost all activity and elevating my knee very high (against a wall) for about 20 min, several times a day, the fluid went down significantly. 

Some fluid did come back after I tried starting activity again (bicycle), so I elevated for a more few weeks and it went away completely...and hasn't come back.
Dec 2015: slow speed bicycle crash (wet leaves)
Jan 2016: a zillion x-rays & 2 MRIs only showed tendinosis
Mar 2016: bone scan showed "uptake" in all compartments
Aug 2016: cortisone shot (did nothing)
Mar 2017: diag scope (partial med meniscus resection, med fem chondroplasty, synovectomy)