Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Meniscus Re-tear?  (Read 329 times)

Offline freshranger

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Meniscus Re-tear?
« on: September 09, 2017, 04:03:14 AM »
Hey everyone,

I've been in a terrible mood the past few days because of a possible re-injury to my meniscus. I had a later menisectomy 4 months ago and my SO trimmed the torn part of the meniscus. 3 month later I wasn't 100% pain free as I still had some discomfort and it just didn't feel the same. However, I slowly started getting back into sports and being active. 4 days ago, I played basketball a bit more competitively, and didn't have any pain or discomfort. I woke up the day after with a swollen knee and some pain in the lateral part of the meniscus. The swelling and the pain has gone down a bit the past few days, but the pain is similar to the pain I had pre-op, although far less. The area is still warm to touch. Was wondering if anyone had a similar experience? What are the chances I retore my meniscus?

THanks

Offline jennifloop

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Re: Meniscus Re-tear?
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2017, 05:30:11 PM »
Sorry this happened to you. I know oh tell well that feeling of disappointment and frustration in regards to a lateral meniscus tear. Three years ago I tore my lateral meniscus in my left knee (most likely playing soccer). I've been very active my entire life, and I fully expected that after my meniscectomy surgery I'd be able to return to running and soccer within a couple months. Boy was I wrong!! My orthopedic surgeon said I didn't need PT after surgery, and that I couldn't hurt what he did...I just needed to listen to my body and if something hurts, don't do it. Within a couple weeks I was back in the gym rehabbing. Everything seemed to be going fine, then after a strength training session at the gym I was in the locker room changing and when I stepped my foot into my pant leg I heard a pop and felt sharp pain to my left knee again. It seemed odd but I wasn't too concerned. After a few more weeks of continued pain/swelling I went back to my orthopedic surgeon and mentioned the incident. He said, "You probably tore your meniscus again." He said it so non-chalantly like it was a normal occurrence. He told me that when he did the first meniscectomy he was being conservative because he knew I wanted to remain very active, so he only trimmed a small section of my meniscus and sometimes that "comes back to bite me in the butt" and re-tears. It was frustrating, but I trusted that he knew what he was doing and was even thankful that he took the conservative approach even though it bit us both. So within 3 months of my first meniscectomy, I had to have another one. And let me tell you, my knee has never been the same since that second surgery. I regret it big time. Over the past 3 years I've had 2 meniscectomies, 2 "clean-outs", and one pretty major Biocartilage surgery this past December that left me in even WORSE pain and less mobility. I haven't played soccer in 3 years and doubt I ever will again. I was jogging a couple miles before my Biocartilage procedure, but it was slow and careful and I really wanted to get back to being active. Now even 9 months after Biocartilage I can't even run a half mile. I'm depressed as hell and feel as if I've lost my identity. Sports have always been a part of my life, and now I'm just left with a bum knee, medical bills, and a shell of the person I used to be. Sorry to be such a downer, but hopefully you won't go down the same path I went down. I wish you all the best of luck.