Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Knee straightening  (Read 223 times)

Offline JDFtWrth

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Knee straightening
« on: September 06, 2017, 03:02:58 PM »
Hi,

I am new to this forum and have a question or two...

For over 10 years I have not been able to straighten my right knee, I saw multiple orthopedic surgeon types and the were all of the cut first diagnose after type. One even wanted to replace a previous tkr of my left knee. I am 68 with severe lower back problems and I have no desire to go through another knee replacement, on was enough!

Finally I found an orthopedic surgeon who suggested an mri of my right knee, the results indicated arthritis and a lot of loose junk in the joint. He recommended an arthroscopic surgery to clean the joint out which he did, he also remove several bone spurs within the joint.

Am pleased that the pain that I have been living with for the past years is minimized but I still can not straighten the dang leg out.

I am in PT currently and they are telling me that the length of time that I have been unable to straighten my leg out is going to make recovery a lengthy process.

They made an off hand remark about using a wearable device that would force the knee to straighten out over time, my question is there such a device and do they work?

I look forward to any comments that you folks might care to make.

Thanks,

JD

Offline Brandon123

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 13
Re: Knee straightening
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2017, 05:00:07 PM »
Hi JD,

I don't know about any such device to force the knee to straighten, but I just wanted to mention that I couldn't straighten my leg fully for 6 months or so after an arthroscopy. Maybe it was because I used a pillow under my knee when I slept and rested for quite a while after surgery. Eventually, however, I could straighten the knee more and more by carefully forcing it to. Point is, you probably need to gently force the knee to gradually straighten over time, and I guess it is possible without such a device.

Offline MrUlv

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2017, 06:36:29 PM »
@Brandon123, how did the knee feel when you carefully forcing it to extend? Did you have big pain in the knee? And did you notice any difference in stiffness between morning and evening? And how much time did it take to see any difference?

Offline Brandon123

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 13
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2017, 07:35:05 PM »
I
@Brandon123, how did the knee feel when you carefully forcing it to extend? Did you have big pain in the knee? And did you notice any difference in stiffness between morning and evening? And how much time did it take to see any difference?

I didn't feel any pain when carefully straightening the leg, I only felt a resistence. It was similar to the kind of resistence we feel in healthy joints when we try to extend them more than normal (although this was less than normal). So, because I only had this kind of stiffness and no pain, I never worried to much or asked my OS about it. I just gradually tried to straighten the leg normally when I took a step when I walked. Also, I slowly reduced the support under the knee I had gotten use to when lying on my back in bed. No difference between morning and evening. It took a few months before the knee straightened out normally when walking, lying in bed etc.   

support