Author Topic: Who should administer Orthovisc injections?  (Read 119 times)

Offline dgerette

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Who should administer Orthovisc injections?
« on: September 05, 2017, 01:09:45 AM »
Hello everyone!  I have osteoarthritis and have had mobility issues with my left knee since June.  After PT and a cortizone shot, I am now scheduled for 3 Orthovisc injections, with the first one being this Friday.

I read online that the person who administers the shot is "key" in your success with the injection.  The person I am seeing is a Nurse Practitioner, who graduated in 2016.     I asked why I wouldn't be seeing the doctor for this, and the receptionist said the NP's and PA's give the injections.   That's all well and good............but, I'm a little nervous about this because of my NP being a recent graduate, and just started working at my ortho's office in 2017.  Is it rude of me to ask how many of these injections she has done before I go in for my appointment?  I certainly don't mean any disrespect to her - but I have to live with this knee!   

Any suggestions / advice / reassurance for me?   Thank you!

Offline Brandon123

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 11
Re: Who should administer Orthovisc injections?
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2017, 09:49:23 AM »
I do think (and have heard orthopedic surgeons say) that it is important who does the injection. I think it all boils down to experience. If the nurse practitioner has been doing a lot of them since she graduated, well, then she might be able to do them as good as anybody. But if she doesn't have much experience, I would be a bit hesitant, and probably seek out a doctor with more experience of doing such injections.

In other words, I think you can ask politely about her experience, and refer to that fact that you have read and heard that the success of these injections are partly based on the experience of the person administering the injections.

Online Vickster

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 254
  • Neelie knee!
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2017, 03:36:10 PM »
Mine have only ever been done by my OS (actually first one was given by a different surgeon while I was under GA being scoped)

If the nurse is highly experienced, then ok. The key thing is that they are able to get the needle into the joint space which means you need to be very relaxed with your knee in the right position. I've had a couple where, through no fault if the surgeon I've not been as relaxed as I might be and it's been painful as the needle has hit the bone.

They aren't a big deal as long as you are relaxed ... the injection might sting a bit, according to my OS the plus/one variants are more painful and less effective due to the greater viscosity of the substance)

Good luck
Came off bike onto concrete 9/9/09
LK arthroscopy 8/2/10
2nd scope on 16/12/10
LK New MRI shows lat & medial meniscus tear & other stuff
RK MRI lat meniscus tear
8/1/15 RK Steroid jab,
RK arthroscopy on 5/2/15
Lateral meniscus trim, excision of hoffa's fat pad, chondral stabilisation

Offline dgerette

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2017, 12:26:38 AM »
Thank you both for your input !!   I did call the office today, and they re-scheduled me with a Physicians Assistant that has more experience in giving these injections.  I have to wait an extra week to get in, but, I think it's worth the peace of mind.  I feel much better.    Thanks again.

Offline Brandon123

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 11
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2017, 12:05:58 PM »
Sounds really good :)

Advertisement