Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Fat Pad Impingement, Bakers Cyst  (Read 264 times)

Offline Pkklipp2

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Fat Pad Impingement, Bakers Cyst
« on: September 01, 2017, 02:44:46 PM »
My MRI showed I have arthofibrosis on the fat pad, frayed cartlidge, as well as a bakers cyst. I was given surgery as an option. Who has had surgery for fat pad impingement? How was the recovery and how long until you were back to your normal activities? Thanks.

Offline Clarkey

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 51
  • Never put 100% trust into a negative MRI scan!
Re: Fat Pad Impingement, Bakers Cyst
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2017, 07:56:54 PM »
My MRI showed I have arthofibrosis on the fat pad, frayed cartlidge, as well as a bakers cyst. I was given surgery as an option. Who has had surgery for fat pad impingement? How was the recovery and how long until you were back to your normal activities? Thanks.

I had fat pad impingement confirmed pre-op to scope #1 that did not get better with physio and a cortisone injection. I had a diagnostic arthroscopy and had my fat pad trimmed and medial plica excision. The recovery took 18 months to get back to full fitness running long distances that was only short term after falling on black ice onto my right operated knee in January 2013. I have not been able to run since and had my 2nd scope done to remove excessive scar tissue around the patella tendon in the hope it would get me back to running again. Arthrofibrosis was the culprit and anterior interval release surgery without any success.

I am now scheduled for my 3rd right knee surgery in October/November with positive signs of fat pad impingement and patella decompression removing the scar tissue around the tendon and performing AIR procedure once again.

Any surgery on the knee is a risk and gamble increasing the risk of arthritis at an earlier age, Fat pad impingement surgery is a hit and miss surgery. Soft tissue injury problem are delicate areas to operate on with an increased risk of excessive scar tissue accumulation.

If arthofibrosis on the fat pad has been confirmed your MRI would benefit seeing an OS with experience and knowledge in post-op care after AIR surgery and fat pad debridement surgery. The cartilage might need trimming, it's difficult to giving a time scale as each patient recovery time will vary from the next one with a similar surgical procedure. Six months to two years is the average recovery time period if you want to get back taking part in physical interaction sporting activities the time period increases.

[email protected]
« Last Edit: September 01, 2017, 08:00:15 PM by Clarkey »
RK: PFPS, Arthrofibrosis & Tendinopathy
Scope #3 scheduled 26/01/18
18/07/14 Anterior interval release  
16/11/09 Medial plica excision & fat pad trim
Cortisone injections: R-Hip - FAI 04/04/17  RK 23/12/15, 22/10/15, 13/05/15, 30/03/10, 23/04/09

Online Vickster

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 269
  • Neelie knee!
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2017, 08:36:53 PM »
I had fat pad trim, meniscus tidy (frayed) and the back of my kneecap tidied. Right knee, I was back driving in a couple of weeks, back in my home office within a week and back commuting within 3 weeks. Cycling within about 6 weeks, training for a 100 mile sportive (about 6 months post op).

No running because the other knee is in a poor state
Came off bike onto concrete 9/9/09
LK arthroscopy 8/2/10
2nd scope on 16/12/10
LK New MRI shows lat & medial meniscus tear & other stuff
RK MRI lat meniscus tear
8/1/15 RK Steroid jab,
RK arthroscopy on 5/2/15
Lateral meniscus trim, excision of hoffa's fat pad, chondral stabilisation

Offline Pkklipp2

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2017, 05:59:08 PM »
Thanks to both of you. I had my surgery one week ago and it is going much slower than I would of hoped. I had fat pad trimmed (anterior interval release), capsular release, synovectomy, and micro fracture. I was full weight bearing right away and thought I would be able to ditch my crutch by now but my knee is still very painful and unstable. I have good range of motion but would like to walk normally. Can either of you advice how long before you could do that? How common is it that scar tissue grows back? Thanks!

Online Vickster

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 269
  • Neelie knee!
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2017, 06:08:57 PM »
You really need to think in terms of a few months minimum to feeling better not weeks. You've had a lot of work done. That's a massive trauma to your knee despite the small scope holes. microfracture especially is painful by all accounts, not surprising when you think what it involves!

Where was the microfracture? Surprised you are weight bearing unless it was the patella?. Patience and diligence with Physio needed. Especially getting ROM especially extension back asap. Don't be tempted to support the leg under the knee while elevating, only your lower calf/ankle/foot or you could stop extension coming back

After my arthroscopies, 4 to 8 weeks to walking normally maybe? Varied by scope and also person to person

Keep on top of the pain with meds and ice, especially before and after doing your Physio. Keep elevated above heart to reduce swelling

Good luck :)
« Last Edit: October 04, 2017, 06:14:18 PM by Vickster »
Came off bike onto concrete 9/9/09
LK arthroscopy 8/2/10
2nd scope on 16/12/10
LK New MRI shows lat & medial meniscus tear & other stuff
RK MRI lat meniscus tear
8/1/15 RK Steroid jab,
RK arthroscopy on 5/2/15
Lateral meniscus trim, excision of hoffa's fat pad, chondral stabilisation

Offline Pkklipp2

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2017, 08:41:22 PM »
Thank you. Microfracture was tibia and yeah I was a bit surprised to be weightbearing right away. I appreciate the feedback. :)