Author Topic: Osteotomy- Advice please?  (Read 109 times)

Offline journey_never_ending_

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Osteotomy- Advice please?
« on: August 28, 2017, 07:48:55 PM »
My daughter is 15 years old. She had knee pain for 4 years now. At first, they passed it down to her Acl which then moved to other ligaments. In June 2016, we were given a proper reason on why she was having knee pain. She has chondromalacia patella in both of her knees : Grade 4 in her left knee and Grade 3 in her right knee. She also has an torn mensucuis. Her left knee is terrible: the doctor has described it as being bone on bone. Her knees crack and pop and grinds all the time. He thinks she has osteoarthritis starting in her knees. She has also have Pt for a year and half to try and manage it. The doctor wants to do an osteotomy on her. Has anyone had this done before? How long will she be off school? How long will it take her to recover?

Offline aussie1087

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Re: Osteotomy- Advice please?
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2017, 12:46:34 PM »
Hi,

I'm really sorry to hear that your daughter is suffering so much with her knees. I had a high tibial osteotomy almost 2 years ago, and while it has helped a lot, my knee will never be 100%. I spent 4 nights in hospital and had 4 weeks off work. It was a struggle when I went back to work (office job) and honestly I could have done with another 1-2 weeks off. I don't think I was allowed to walk for 6-8 weeks, so by the time I was allowed to put weight through my leg, my quad/hamstrings/calf had all vanished. I had to relearn simple things like how to walk (that was pretty sad) and had to practise standing up/sitting down in a chair for weeks before I could do it properly.

You have to put a LOT of time and effort into your rehab if you want things to go back to normal (ish). Especially as your daughter is only 15. I had my HTO when I was 28 so still have a long way to go before knee replacements are an option. Be prepared for plenty of pain, plenty of rehab (over a year of working on rehab). You will both need to be very patient and diligent. I didn't realise how major the surgery was before I had it done, so make sure you both understand how much work it will be. Your daughter will need a lot of help, so hopefully there will be someone that can stay with her in the day time to help her as she needs.

If you have any questions please feel free to ask, I'm more than happy to talk about my experiences. Don't let my post scare you off, you just need to know that this surgery requires a LOT of work to get back to where you want to be afterwards.
August 2006 - Partial Menisectomy
October 2015 - HTO/Arthroscopy
June 2016 - Hardware removal

Advertisement

support