Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Partial Knee Replacement - DePuy PKR - 12 year update  (Read 542 times)

Offline UofRSpider

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
Partial Knee Replacement - DePuy PKR - 12 year update
« on: August 13, 2017, 07:34:45 PM »
Hello all, been a while since I've given an update. I am 12 years out on my PKR (medial). I had the PKR done at 35 years old, due to an injury sustained during training.

Essentially my PKR has not changed in pain or structure. I still deal with constant localized pain and the severity increases with weather changes and/ or activity levels.

My doctors (Ortho, Pain Management, etc.) all agree to do nothing until it ultimately fails. I concur. Hope this update helps someone or possibly answers some questions.

October 2004 - Microfracture
May 2005 - PKR
October 2006 - Lateral release

Offline Brandon123

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 14
Re: Partial Knee Replacement - DePuy PKR - 12 year update
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2017, 08:53:14 AM »
Thanks for the update! As a relatively young sufferer (35 years) of cartilage damage/arthritis, it is interesting to hear such experiences.   

Offline jackson7

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 5
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2017, 11:54:53 PM »
just saw a video on youtube with a 60 yo triathlon racer who had a PKR in 2016 and was back running and even racing within several months.  Maybe he just had good luck and/or the newest implants are that much improved...or maybe the video is just a BS advertisement...idk. Hopefully, your next PKR will leave you completely pain-free.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hjRSUYXPNVA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RHkE0HAIoBI
Dec 2015: slow speed bicycle crash (wet leaves)
Jan 2016: a zillion x-rays & 2 MRIs only showed tendinosis
Mar 2016: bone scan showed "uptake" in all compartments
Aug 2016: cortisone shot (did nothing)
Mar 2017: diag scope (partial med meniscus resection, med fem chondroplasty, synovectomy)

Offline Mr.F

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2017, 03:14:33 PM »
Hello UofSpider,
I had a similar experience to you.  I had bilateral PFR when I was 35.  (It was the third operation on each knee).  I was born with a genetic defect.  In 2011 and 2013 I had one knee revised (fourth operation for each knee).  I was in miserable pain.  After the revision I would cramp up at night.  The mornings would be painful.  I would have to stretch for 30-60 minutes to be able to walk and stand.  I started walking with my son in 2014.  I got involved with a group that helps disabled athletes.  Along with this I found an incredible chiropractor who is an athlete himself.  He was able to work the scar-tissue that was causing some of my pain and making me less mobile.  I started off going to him 3 times a week.  After some time I was down to two times a week.  Then 1 time a week.  And for over 1 and a half years I go in monthly. 
My knees are not pain free, but I am involved in 4 different running groups.  (Sometimes I can run a half and up to 18 miles without stopping 9:00 pace.  Other times I use intervals...ran NY City Marathon this way.  And other times I walk.  I walked my first ultra in April...12:30 pace).  Since June 2014 I have competed in and finished 105 different races.  My goals are to have fun, cross the finish line, and be injury free.
I do feel some impact by the weather and modify my pace and ability as needed (running, run/walk, or just walk).
I have Stryker implants.
I hope this is helpful.
Take care,
Mr. F

Offline Brandon123

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2017, 08:13:48 PM »
Mr.F, can I just ask how many years your PFR have lasted? You said you had bilateral PFR when you were 35, so in other words, how old are you now? :)

Offline Mr.F

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2017, 12:54:16 AM »
Brandon123,
How are you doing?  My right knee was revised in 2011 (6 years) and my left knee was revised in 2013 (8 years).  I did not start to walk and run actively until 2014 (April).  Unfortunately for me I tried to do the "right" things by not being so active and doing less impact workouts.  I ended up with revisions.  As for my age, I am 47.  (And strangely enough I am in the best physical condition at 47 than any other time during my life).

Take care,
Mr.F

Offline Brandon123

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2017, 04:53:03 PM »
Brandon123,
How are you doing?  My right knee was revised in 2011 (6 years) and my left knee was revised in 2013 (8 years).  I did not start to walk and run actively until 2014 (April).  Unfortunately for me I tried to do the "right" things by not being so active and doing less impact workouts.  I ended up with revisions.  As for my age, I am 47.  (And strangely enough I am in the best physical condition at 47 than any other time during my life).

Take care,
Mr.F

Ok, thanks for the info Mr.F!

I'm struggling with patellofemoral arthritis in my right knee, painful and disabling. A PFR would probably solve the problem, but I'm young (35) and the lifespan of those implants seem to be very limited. Did you revise to new PFR or TKR?   

Offline Mr.F

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2017, 02:36:47 AM »
Hello Brandon123,
When I had my revisions my OS had a TKR and a PFR ready.  He was not sure what damage he would find.  Oddly enough this occurred with both revisions.  There was no need for a TKR so I had my knee cleaned out and parts replaced.  The recovery for the revisions were worse than my bilateral PFR.  After repeatedly cutting into the quad muscles it took longer to recover.  I felt much better once I had my revisions.  Getting up and walking, getting into speed walking, and using intervals helped strengthen my leg muscles.  Also finding an incredible chiropractor (who works out all the scar tissue from my knee) makes a world of difference.  I believe if I did not find my chiropractor I would be suffering. 
At 35 my quality of life sucked.  I was barely able to get through a day of work, drive home, and walk to my door.  I spent the weekend bed ridden. Or my other option was dragging myself on the ground throughout my home.  On top of this I was taking care of my son who was not even 2 at the time.  My in-laws would come over and help since I could not drive or walk anywhere.
The one positive you have is you have, if I am not overstepping my boundaries, one good knee (your left knee).  This makes recovery and life a lot easier (from what I have been told). 
You need to look at where you are and your quality of life.  Talk with people who had one knee PFR.  What were the pros and cons of surgery.  Look at all options and then make your decision.
I know this is scary.  You are young and do not want to rush into a life changing surgery.  You do not want to push off the operation and need a TKR.  You do not want to have a revision.  And then look at the life span of the revision and think about another operation.  And then there is the question about how many revisions can on knee take. 
Whatever you decide know that there are people on message boards who will support you, talk with you, and provide feedback.  The ultimate decision is yours.
Take care,
Mr. F

Offline Brandon123

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2017, 08:51:03 AM »
Thanks again for the info, Mr.F!

Can I ask what was your initial diagnosis that lead to your PFR at 35? Arthritis?

At 35 my quality of life sucked.  I was barely able to get through a day of work, drive home, and walk to my door.  I spent the weekend bed ridden.

Sounds exactly like my own situation, and has been like that for 2 years now. Yes, fortunately my left knee is much better (only mild chondromalacia so far), but because it has to take so much extra load, it pains and aches every now and then. However, I am still happy it hasn't degenerated like the right one. 

Offline Mr.F

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2017, 02:10:43 AM »
Sorry for not getting back to you sooner Brandon123,
I have been dealing with unrelated health issues and my wife is recovering from surgery.  What I was told is that I was born with a genetic defect.  When puberty hit, and I started to grow, my knee issues occurred.  (I am guessing this is why the doctors waited to operate).  My first set of surgeries (which removed all my cartilage from my knees) caused my second set of surgeries.  The doctor, at the times of my operations, did not know this would cause my third set of surgeries.  This is when I had my bilateral PFR.

Take care,
Mr. F

Offline Brandon123

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2017, 12:20:14 PM »
I understand, thanks for the info. I hope you get those other health issues under control. I have also dealt with some other health issues on top of my knee problems, and it is sometimes a bit frustrating.

Take care!

support