Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: I took the plunge, Lateral Meniscus Transplant + OATs  (Read 962 times)

Offline LateralMeniscusIssuesGuy

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 4
Re: I took the plunge, Lateral Meniscus Transplant + OATs
« Reply #15 on: December 04, 2017, 04:12:37 PM »
badleftknee, I'm glad things are going well for you.  I enjoyed aspects of the NWB phase since I was at home and could manage my diet and plan my comeback, but you do get to the point when you just want to go up stairs again without a whole procedure.  Hang in there, sounds like you are nearly at the other side.

The little I have made sense of, I believe swelling is moved primarily through knee flexion (either through the activation of lymph nodes, or pressure in the knee capsule expelling excess synovial fluid), so when you become more active I would hope that reduces down for you.  I say that when I still 5 months on have stubborn swelling, I presume the healing environment in my knee requires the swelling environment as it is still raw healing phase, it would be nice for it to not be there, and get back proper knee function (I have read swelling interrupts brain to muscle messages contributing to poor coordination) but I guess that will happen with time.

I'm rooting for you.
Partial Lateral Meniscectomy (2/3 removed), pristine articular cartilage...2013
Return to impact sport, continual responsive swelling ever since
Mild pain onset..2016
Arthroscopy reveals grade 2/3 articular cartilage damage lateral compartment behind kneecap
What now? Allograft / brace / nothing?

Offline fro60ol

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Re: I took the plunge, Lateral Meniscus Transplant + OATs
« Reply #16 on: December 15, 2017, 08:35:13 PM »
thank you for all your posts!

i posted in my own thread that i am looking at OATS as well and seeing how you guys are handling it is giving a good sense of what i have ahead of me.