Author Topic: Lipogems -London- my story  (Read 710 times)

Offline ejohn1

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Lipogems -London- my story
« on: August 08, 2017, 03:59:28 PM »
Right, I'm 57, slim build, ex sportsman who has developed cartilage  issues in both knees. Firstly a defect at the base of the trochlear grove in the right knee. On the left, a cartilage defect directly on a weight bearing area. Both knees have been scanned twice in the past eight months, the defect on the trochlear shows, however the defect on the right knee does not. On both occasions a T3 scanner was used. Prior to this I have had 57 years of very good health.

Six months ago when it became obvious to me that I had to drastically modify my life, I completed necessary research, and in the first instance funded hyaluronic acid based injections in both knees. This had an effect, it seemed to dampen any inflammation and as a result, reduce pain. I was aware that the effects of the treatment would wear off, this in fact was the case, around four months. I haven't run in over a year, that's over now, but neither have I cycled. I rely on the gym only for upper body work and stretching exercises regarding my legs.

After making the mistake of ten lengths completing breast stroke, and feeling it within the knees twenty four hours later, I realised that I needed to look at another option. Again after completing research I was shocked to see that Lipogems was being offered in London. I quickly arranged a consultation with a Professor Wilson where the process was outlined. Before the meeting took place I focussed on the possibility of the process offering growth factors , this clearly was an advantage on any other option that I was aware of. Yes, I could have travelled into main land Europe and completed the same procedure for possibly half the price. After saying to myself that if this procedure gives relief for up to three years, I would look at it value for money, I put this directly to Mr Wilson.

On the 4th Aug I travelled to London and had the procedure. The team were very professional, I felt very comfortable with everything that happened.

Its only three days since it was completed and to date I would say that there has already been a reduction in the feeling of inflammation, I realise I have a long journey ahead . So I handed over the 6K for this procedure. I will keep interested parties updated.

Offline Vickster

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 260
  • Neelie knee!
Re: Lipogems -London- my story
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2017, 04:15:24 PM »
Interesting. Is that Adrian Wilson?
Came off bike onto concrete 9/9/09
LK arthroscopy 8/2/10
2nd scope on 16/12/10
LK New MRI shows lat & medial meniscus tear & other stuff
RK MRI lat meniscus tear
8/1/15 RK Steroid jab,
RK arthroscopy on 5/2/15
Lateral meniscus trim, excision of hoffa's fat pad, chondral stabilisation

Offline Brandon123

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 12
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2017, 05:26:17 PM »
Really interesting indeed, please keep us updated on your progress!

Offline diesiel

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 2
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2017, 11:32:47 PM »
hi John,

a few questions;

1.)did the good DR mention this procedure would help 'heal' the defects? or is it more of a 'try and see' approach? 

2.) how did you diagnose the defect if it didn't show up on scans

3.) did the dr mention what the plan of attack, going forward, will be?

Cheers! Wish you luck with your recovery

Offline ejohn1

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2017, 07:14:09 PM »
Hi , answering your question as honestly as I can.

The conversations I had with Prof Wilson did to revolve around hard science in terms of what this procedure would do for me. Yes, simply put, it is a case of wait and see. I have read a significant amount regarding these matters. I'm hoping that at the very least this procedure reduces inflammation to a point where I hardly notice it, if any growth factors stimulate what is already there, then good. I wanted to undertake a procedure that had a better chance then any other that I was aware of, that may generate an improvement. As previously stated, I had tried acid based injections and to a degree they did a job, but as I understood it, no growth factors.

Going forward, no real discussion as such, only that it was briefly mentioned that the only up grade that is currently available requires a trip to Switzerland or the Bahamas where an up grade of this process is currently available, but at a huge price, that being 25K. I'm not paying that much.

Regarding the lack of MRI support on my left knee. When I first damaged the Trochlear on my right, I was near enough limping for six weeks. I was working in retail at the time and stupidly often weight baring on one leg for hours on end. Due to lack of movement over a long period of time and therefor lack of necessary lubrication, I felt , on a short walk, a feeling of friction as the cartilage reacted to what I have described above. No doubt the damage is not down to the bone, hence its not showing up, it is there however, I feel it every day.

Summing up, I paid the money because  wanted to have the thought that apart from paying 25K, I've done everything I can. I'm hoping that in the next few years there will be other options.

Offline tomtomtom

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2017, 09:47:37 AM »
Right, I'm 57, slim build, ex sportsman who has developed cartilage  issues in both knees.
On the 4th Aug I travelled to London and had the procedure. The team were very professional, I felt very comfortable with everything that happened.

Its only three days since it was completed and to date I would say that there has already been a reduction in the feeling of inflammation, I realise I have a long journey ahead . So I handed over the 6K for this procedure. I will keep interested parties updated.
Hi ejohn1
I think you did a good thing for your knees.You mentioned 6K (). It looks very expensive.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2017, 10:20:58 AM by tomtomtom »

Offline tomtomtom

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2017, 10:05:20 AM »
This can be useful for British patients who want to make Lipogems treatment at a very favorable price.
https://www.kardiolita.com/news/patient-from-the-uk-walks-again-without-pain-after-lipogems-procedure-abroad/164

Offline ejohn1

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2017, 12:50:06 PM »
I thought I would offer an update regarding this treatment..

Its now been around six weeks since the treatment. On occasions over the first two / three weeks there was a feeling of inflammation in both knees, particulary noticeable whilst lying down at night. Over the last two weeks I have had periods of walking, perhaps around one mile, where there has been no inflammation, no pain what so ever.

The conclusion that I have reached (to date) is simply this..

I have had to modify much of what I do, including standing for periods of time working in retail. Standing still over periods of hours is not good for me, I require a chair, which I have been provided with. There can be no running, that was always something I needed to come to terms with, not easy , but its how it must be. I need no medication.

The future it appears is simply this.. Walking daily, ten minutes, fifteen minutes, no problem. Stairs, no problem. Most days gym work in terms of upper body and stretching exercises for the legs, straight leg lifts with weights attached. this works, quads are good.

On occasions still a feeling of slight inflammation, not as bad as it was just before the procedure.
Summing up, if you can afford to undertake this, you will possibly benefit. I do not regret the decision, though I cannot see into the knees and give you scientific backed proof that there is obviously clear evidence of cartilage regeneration. I was told to wait 12 weeks to notice improvement. My improvement started week 4.

I will keep you updated...

Offline Brandon123

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 12
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2017, 04:34:13 PM »
Many thanks for the update! It will be interesting to see how this plays out over the next few months.

Advertisement