Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: TPF without displacement - one week down & struggling  (Read 1446 times)

Offline Exmtnbiker

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
TPF without displacement - one week down & struggling
« on: August 07, 2017, 02:38:09 PM »
I found this board this week while researching my injury.  This is my first post!  It's been really helpful to read about other people's experiences.  I can already identify with a lot of posters, especially with regard to the depression, restlessness and fear of being dependent on others.  I've been a cyclist for years and started mountain biking about 5 years ago.  In the past 3 years, I've gotten really into it and even started racing cross-country (first in my category!).  Nine days ago, I was mountain biking with some friends and fell going downhill.  While I knew I had injured my knee, I thought that I had maybe torn my LCL.  I walked out of the woods for over 2 miles, using a stick as a cane, so I figured it couldn't be too bad, right?  Within 4 hours, it was really swollen and I could no longer bear weight on it.  I went to the urgent care clinic, where an xray showed the fracture...articular TPF with no displacement.  I was completely shocked.  It didn't even hurt that much!  An MRI indicated that I have no ligament damage, thank God, but that the cartilage in my knee is showing a lot of wear (I already knew that). 

An orthopedist put me in a brace that allows me to bend my knee 90 degrees.  He encouraged me to bend and straighten the knee but I'm not allowed to put any weight on it.  I see him again in 2 1/2 weeks and he'll xray it again to see how it's healing.  I'm trying to baby it and do everything I can to help it heal--no weight, calcium supplements, rest, ice.   

My family is assuming that I'll quit mountain biking for good because of this.  At first, I thought that I would go back to it as soon as I was able.  Now, I'm starting to feel that perhaps this is a wake up call and that I should back off of it.  I'm a 43 year female who is very active and young at heart.  I love mountain biking--it's part of my identity.  Being out of commission like this, however, is making me question whether it's worth it.  This is my 2nd bikie-related injury--2 years ago I broke my wrist in a bad crash and had to have surgery.  But then when I see my friends on Facebook and Instagram posting about their rides...man, it feels bad.  it's like finding out there was a party, and you weren't invited.  I don't know what I should do.  I'm already having to sell one of my bikes to pay for the cost of treatment and my brace (thanks, American healthcare system).  Have other people on this board given up a sport they loved to prevent future injuries?  How did they cope? 

Julie

Offline eldoboardn

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 1
Re: TPF without displacement - one week down & struggling
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2017, 08:40:21 PM »
Sorry to hear about your accident.  It's rough going from being very active, to suddenly not being able to put weight on one of your legs for an extended period of time.  My injury was different than yours - I had a broken patella and femur - but the result was similar.  I was stuck in a brace, on crutches and told not to put any weight on my leg for almost 2 months last fall.  I had a lot of time to contemplate if I would continue mountain biking, snowboarding, etc.. when my leg healed. 

I came to the conclusion that I would wait until I had healed enough to board/bike again, and see if I still felt like they were activities I wanted to do.  I found that I had to adjust the amount of risk that I'm willing to take (partially due to my leg, and partially having to admit that I'm no longer invincible like when I was younger :) ), but I wanted to continue with boarding/biking because I still enjoy them so much.  Mountain and road biking have actually been a huge part of my recovery in helping to build leg strength without having to put full weight on my knee.  I've just had to scale back my speed and enthusiasm for the downhills.

It definitely comes down to a personal choice.  Personally, I'm not willing to avoid activities just because there is a risk of injury (the risk is part of the rush I get from mtn biking and snowboarding).  For me, life is too short to avoid activities I enjoy.  But I'm addicted to being active and the resulting adrenaline/endorphin rush, so my opinion probably differs from most (yes, i'm an odd one :) )

Best of luck to you in your recovery.  It can be tough sometimes, but try to keep a positive attitude.  It will get better eventually.

Offline Alt1102

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2018, 02:46:32 PM »
How did things turn out for you, if you donít mind me asking.  I am 3 & 1/2 weeks in and no surgery and off of it as much as possible but I am not able to be completely NWB.  I have a follow up appt next week and trying to learn patience but it is very difficult to be immobile. 

Offline Dore95

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2018, 11:48:58 PM »
Non-displaced TPF here and two weeks in.  Ortho has me NWB of course  but no brace because he said there is no need.  Some laymen friends and one doctor (non ortho) I know questioned that.  Has anyone heard of this treatment (or lack thereof)?

Offline Alt1102

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2018, 02:22:30 AM »
Dore- if you have Facebook, there is a page called tibial plateau fracture recovery.  I have found it very helpful and a ton more active then this page.  My doc had me in San immobilizer for seven weeks. 

support