Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Patella Cartilage damage - what is next? (MRI Pictures - page 2)  (Read 4435 times)

Offline Brandon123

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 25
Re: Patella Cartilage damage - what is next? (MRI Pictures - page 2)
« Reply #45 on: March 08, 2018, 08:54:47 AM »
Oh no, well mostly likely nothing is damaged from your "little jump" and the pain will get better. But good of course to check up with the local OS. Up until that thing at week 12, you recovery has been amazing!
RK sharp pain while running, diagnosis chondromalacia patellae 6/09
RK arthroscopic chondroplasty 9/09
RK rehab, recovery, 90% normal, started running again -> back to square one 5/15
RK diagnosis patellofemoral arthritis + LK diagnosis chondromalacia patellae 8/15 -> conservative treatment

Offline reflex_nl

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 6
« Reply #46 on: March 08, 2018, 11:12:51 AM »
I hope so...  sometimes I over analyse the knee ;-).... but still it s*cks to feel the same pain as I had before the surgery.

Fingers crossed!
RK Patella Luxation in 2000
RK Scope grade 2 damage to patella
RK PT for 4 mths, recovered 90% after 4 years
LK Patella Luxation in Oct'16
LK Scope to remove loose bodies (grade 4) to patella Nov'16
LK Lateral Release + MPFL Reefing + MCIC in the UK Dec'17

Offline Brandon123

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #47 on: March 08, 2018, 03:48:14 PM »
I hope so...  sometimes I over analyse the knee ;-).... but still it s*cks to feel the same pain as I had before the surgery.

Fingers crossed!

Yeah, of course, I can imagine that you freaked out a bit when that pain came back. But could the graft be so sensitive? Well, let's see what the OS says.
RK rehab, recovery, 90% normal, started running again -> back to square one 5/15
RK diagnosis patellofemoral arthritis + LK diagnosis chondromalacia patellae 8/15 -> conservative treatment

Offline reflex_nl

• Regular Poster
« Reply #48 on: May 21, 2018, 03:27:22 PM »
I haven't posted in a while, but I'm still in the recovery phase.

Currently, it is 5 months ~ 23 week post my surgery in the UK (which was the 2nd surgery on the same knee). It is been a bit of a roller-coaster these last few months. I had days is which full pain/inflammation came back, the knee got swollen and I needed ice/NAIDS to get it back to normal. It is hard to link it to exercises, some times, just sitting at a desk at work, the pain flairs up. Despite the LR and MPFL reefing, the patella is not tracking right. I began to notice this around week 14 and it did improve a bit over time, but upon bending the knee the keep cap shifts to the inner side of the leg and you hear an audible click. I did not have this issue pre-op... which makes me worried.

On the positive side... I also have good days and began biking a bit. From 5 KM upto 20 KM/ride, without much pain. I have days in which the pain "mostly" stays away... ofcourse, squads, jogging etc are all out of the question, but I'm happy to have some good days as well. Compared to last re-hab from the previous surgery, I do feel I'm a bit ahead...  Each week I have once/week PT and go swimming/week, nothing fancy, just getting some movement. I take it slow as I'm worried to damage the patched up area.

Mid June I have to go back to Shetty and get an MRI scan... fingerscrossed...

Offline Brandon123

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #49 on: May 23, 2018, 08:41:40 AM »
Sounds good that you can bike that much without much pain, and that you also have more or less pain free days! Weird that the patella is not tracking right though...well, I guess you have to just wait and see what Shetty says at your follow-up. Let's hope everything is ok!

One thing that came to my mind, have TTO or TTT ever been considered in your case?

Offline reflex_nl

• Regular Poster
« Reply #50 on: June 11, 2018, 11:09:24 PM »
Things are getting a bit better. I visited NYC and besides the long flight and subway in/outs it went relatively ok. Some pain, but given the average ~10.000 steps/day according to my iPhone, not bad. I took a NAIDS only twice in 5 days. I still wear a soft knee band just for the idea of it and providing some comfort.

This friday, I travel to the UK again I see Shetty again and will talk about the tracking issue...

Offline bluesea

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #51 on: June 12, 2018, 04:59:54 PM »
Good Morning -
I had similar damage I think. Traumatic kneecap dislocation with grade 4 cartilage lesion (1.3 x 1.5cm per MRI) under kneecap & torn MPFL. Had OATS procedure and MPFL reconstruction as well as removal of loose bodies on 5/15/18 (so this marks 4 weeks since surgery and 8 weeks since accident). I'm 36 female and was a recreational runner (completing 2nd half marathon 3/25 in 2:13), recreational volleyball player and also light weightlifter. So was very active before - running/exercise was kind of my solace. So anyway, I was basically non-weight bearing for 4 weeks before the procedure and now 4 weeks out am still in a lot of pain, reliant on crutches and physical therapist says I'm not trying hard enough and should be able to bend 90 degrees by now (I feel like pain becomes intolerable at 57 degrees when she is pushing it). I think I should quit PT until I have better ROM instead of feeling like I haven't been putting forth enough effort at home. I have to sleep in brace (which I haven't been doing so well at because sleeping is really difficult) and also wear anti-embolism sock because swelling is still high. Just looking for encouragement. When will this pain become bearable? I'm basically off pain medication unless I just can't sleep. Am I really that far off track? Thanks! Starting to think I should have looked at second opinions on the repair options for this injury.

Offline reflex_nl

• Regular Poster
« Reply #52 on: June 17, 2018, 04:25:26 PM »
Good Morning -
I had similar damage I think. Traumatic kneecap dislocation with grade 4 cartilage lesion (1.3 x 1.5cm per MRI) under kneecap & torn MPFL. Had OATS procedure and MPFL reconstruction as well as removal of loose bodies on 5/15/18 (so this marks 4 weeks since surgery and 8 weeks since accident). I'm 36 female and was a recreational runner (completing 2nd half marathon 3/25 in 2:13), recreational volleyball player and also light weightlifter. So was very active before.....
At 4 weeks you cannot say much, OATS and MPFL are serious surgeries; I would wait at least 12 weeks before concluding on the initial healing phase. Take it slow especially with OATS; you don't want to damage the graft. To me, you don't seem to be off track.

You don't hear often about OATS on the patella; how did they decided to do this?

support