Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Patella Cartilage damage - what is next? (MRI Pictures - page 2)  (Read 1376 times)

Offline reflex_nl

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 4
Hi all,

I already suffer for 10 mths from grade 4 patella cartilage damage. They have done a scope to remove the loose fragments and shave the cartilage. In the last couple of months I visited four OS's with a lot of cartilage experience in the region since I'm not improving on my knee.

Status today:
No pain at night, mild pain during the day, getting worse if more active during the day. I can walk and cycle but not intense. I can stand for 2 hours but not pain free. I cannot do any (light) sports. The knee has a bit of swelling and is sometimes a bit warmer after exercise (details: http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEtalk/index.php?topic=68466.0)

Recommendations:
  • OS 1 (Falke - NL): Grade 4 damage, no mall alignment: do nothing, wait and see, let it "heal" and light PT, let's see later for new options
  • OS 2 (Claes - BE): Grade 4 damage, mall alignment: do micro fracturing on patella and a lateral release
  • OS 3 (Lagast - BE): Grade 4 damage, some mall alignment: need new MRI, maybe bio implant, but low successrate on patella
  • OS 4 (Mortele - BE): Grade 4 damage, no mall alignment: OATS needed asap (Osteochondral Autograft Transplantation Surgery) required, if not condition will worsen significantly over the next year.

I'm a but clueless now... they are not in alignment on the issue and I worry the condition of my knee can worsen. In my country or in Germany/Belgium, they don't offer Denovo NT or (M)ACI and I don't believe in micro facturing or MACI for the patella (read a lot of articles on this).

I'm also hesitated to go the OATS route...  even though the OS gives it a good chance of success. I read good stories on Denovo on the patella, but it is far way any really expensive... :(

Any advice/help welcome!
« Last Edit: September 11, 2017, 08:47:40 PM by reflex_nl »
RK Patella Luxation in 2000
RK Scope grade 2 damage to patella
RK PT for 4 mths, recovered 90% after 4 years
LK Patella Luxation in Oct'16
LK Scope grade 4 damage to patella Nov'16
LK PT ongoing... in a lot of pain...

Offline Vickster

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 264
  • Neelie knee!
Re: Patella Cartilage damage - what is next?
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2017, 11:57:50 AM »
Have you read this diary? There's a surgeon in Kent, UK doing some new treatment for cartilage repair. Just a short hop across the Channel

http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEtalk/index.php?topic=69426.0

Might be worth a private consultation
Came off bike onto concrete 9/9/09
LK arthroscopy 8/2/10
2nd scope on 16/12/10
LK New MRI shows lat & medial meniscus tear & other stuff
RK MRI lat meniscus tear
8/1/15 RK Steroid jab,
RK arthroscopy on 5/2/15
Lateral meniscus trim, excision of hoffa's fat pad, chondral stabilisation

Offline reflex_nl

• Regular Poster
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2017, 08:43:01 AM »
Thanks - I will give this a try as well....

Offline Brandon123

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 14
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2017, 09:02:29 AM »
It is frustrating that there is no standardized proven treatment for patella cartilage damage, and everything depends so much on your specific case, and the opinions of different OS. Just wanted to add that I have received the same recommendations as your OS 1 and 2. And my "OS 1" said DO NOT go the "OS 2 route", as micro fracturing and lateral release according to him is old school thinking. So you should probably avoid that one at least!

My OS 1 also says that it is critical what type of cartilage damage we are talking about. In my case, for example, the damage it is quite evenly spread under the patella, kind of like arthritis and hence difficult to fix with any of the above mentioned procedures. If I recall correctly, however, wasn't your damage more localized at one spot? 
« Last Edit: August 04, 2017, 09:20:08 AM by Brandon123 »

Offline reflex_nl

• Regular Poster
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2017, 08:15:42 PM »
yes it is.... knee problems are already complicated and now even the OS's are not in alignment. Indeed I will skip MF and LR, but still need to get rid of pain. Some pro NBA's did OATS, which some success.

My damage is indeed "focal" one spot, but fairly large... :(

For your issue I would try PRP or stemcells.

Offline Brandon123

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2017, 03:58:49 PM »
Yes, I have actually been thinking of PRP and stem cells, but it is very expensive (at least stem cells) and there seems to be very limited scientific evidence for these procedures regarding chondromalacia/arthritis. On the other hand, I am getting desperate, so let's see:)

In your case, the options seem to be OS 1 route or OS 4 route. Do you see any improvement at all? If so, I would probably try to be patient and give it some more time. If there is no improvement whatsoever, I think you should check if there are any studies on the success rate of OATS for patella cartilage damage. As we know, the patella cartilage is always difficult to fix:/ Also, before considering actually doing an OATS, I think you should get at least one more OS (old or new) to support that procedure in your case.

Denovo is difficult and expensive of course, but maybe your very very last option?     

Offline SuspectDevice

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 17
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2017, 01:55:44 AM »
I agree with Brandon

Re OS 4 - why will the condition worsen significantly?  I'd suggest that with the right amount of gentle movement and rest, it may actually improve?  Though perhaps there are things you have to do which are unavoidable (e.g. work activities) which is why OS4 says it will worsen.

[email protected] you want to avoid like the plague - I got told that lateral release crap too, even though my kneecaps were pretty well aligned.  Those blokes should be booted out of the profession, charged with medical negligence.

The problem might be that they have already done the dreaded patella shave (which I believe has been shown to be worthless, or in fact make things worse), so maybe you have a long time of really careful activity needed to let the cartilage heal....and there is plenty of evidence patella cartilage can heal, but it needs time and patience (years?)
L Medial menisectomy May 2012
PFPS in both knees ever since
Pre-CRPS diagnosed 2014
Also looking into Dr Scott Dye's Tissue Homeostasis & Envelope of Function work
2017 - 80+% cured thanks to Dr Dye's research
2017 - first small triathlon in 5yrs
2017 - back to 30% of training volume - that'll do!

Offline reflex_nl

• Regular Poster
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2017, 07:15:07 PM »
Hi Guys,

Thanks for the replies. Indeed I first await my new MRI and find at least other supporters before heading into surgery. The patella remains a difficult item to treat and what if it fails...  no clue what options I have left. MF and LR are no options.... and my do more damage.

To be honest, they had to remove the loose bodies in my knee and shave it a bit, otherwise other cartilage can break off and get stuck in your knee. I hope they didn't remove too much...

The other risk I foresee is being in pain and inactive for x year and than still go into surgery. I'm not sure if it will worsen over time by just doing daily life stuff; have you heard or read this before?

Offline SuspectDevice

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 17
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2017, 06:15:06 AM »
Hi Guys,

Thanks for the replies. Indeed I first await my new MRI and find at least other supporters before heading into surgery. The patella remains a difficult item to treat and what if it fails...  no clue what options I have left. MF and LR are no options.... and my do more damage.

To be honest, they had to remove the loose bodies in my knee and shave it a bit, otherwise other cartilage can break off and get stuck in your knee. I hope they didn't remove too much...

The other risk I foresee is being in pain and inactive for x year and than still go into surgery. I'm not sure if it will worsen over time by just doing daily life stuff; have you heard or read this before?

Yes, mine definitely got worse with daily life stuff.  We had a large treed garden that took lots of regular maintenance.  We sold that house and got a smaller block with an easy care garden + a ride-on mower to take the strain of my knees. Also, I could not squat or crouch for about 4yrs. I also tried to avoid stairs (not always possible) and other things which aggravated including most of my sporting activities (triathlon, cycling, running, leg weights, kicking while swimming).  It was some serious activity modification, though nothing like Richard Bedard and even all that was not enough - I needed the Celebrex to take me into the real recovery zone. 5 yrs it took me, but I made 90% of the gains in the last 4-5mths on Celebrex.  That reduced my pain levels enough to start doing some real leg strengthening, which took the load off my knees and hence into a more positive spiral.
L Medial menisectomy May 2012
PFPS in both knees ever since
Pre-CRPS diagnosed 2014
Also looking into Dr Scott Dye's Tissue Homeostasis & Envelope of Function work
2017 - 80+% cured thanks to Dr Dye's research
2017 - first small triathlon in 5yrs
2017 - back to 30% of training volume - that'll do!

Offline Geronimo

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 3
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2017, 06:26:09 AM »
this sounds weird but walking and hiking actually helps and i feel myself much better when i do that a lot. light cycling helps too. i've forgotten about sports since my issues kicked in and am just happy to be able to move in this world without huge amounts of pain. the only thing which made me much worse is full squat I did yesterday while trying to fix my boat. immediately got worse 3 times :( that's what I forget: as soon as you get better you should still remember to avoid activities which put you back. staying at home and doing nothing doesn't help at all.

i've been doing some heavy lifting trying to move my inflatable boat here and there and despite my expectations to flare up right away I actually felt better, but I tried to bend my knees as less as possible.

i'm now waiting what happens after my surgery when I'm fully healed (5 weeks post op and still have soft tissue pain which is almost gone though) and then will look into carticel option as this seem to be the best way to restore cartilage this days.

Offline Brandon123

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2017, 03:39:36 PM »
The other risk I foresee is being in pain and inactive for x year and than still go into surgery.

I'm also a bit afraid of this as I can see how my muscles, general health, and everything are slowly getting worse by this inactive lifestyle. The thing keeping me from having a surgery is of course that there are no really good surgical options for me. I would love if they could just go in and easily "fix" this bad cartilage :)

When will you have your new MRI? Please let us know what it said. I'm also considering doing a new one in a few months, it was over 2 years ago I had my last one done.

Offline Geronimo

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2017, 06:24:20 PM »
you have to find activities which don't aggravate your condition and stick to them, otherwise things will get worse. i tried rest 10 times already and it never made me feel better. now I try to walk as much as possible, use exercise bike with lowest setting at home, hike, boating etc. no running, basketball and all the stuff i used to like so much of course >:( but looking at other scenarios i'm pretty happy i can walk without pain at all.

Offline reflex_nl

• Regular Poster
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2017, 09:58:35 PM »
I believe that if you don't use it you lose it... but indeed becarefull not to overdo. The question is what state would you consider surgery or other more invasive procedures... hard to get a answer on this.

Still awating my new mri report

Offline Geronimo

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2017, 08:29:40 PM »
if you are in lots of pain there is not much to lose in my opinion. as said before, cartiflex seems to be the only option after arthroscopy has failed. you can continue with PT but honestly for me it only made things worse.

Offline reflex_nl

• Regular Poster
« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2017, 08:59:43 PM »
Thanks for the help. Pain is a 2 out of 10 in daily life and gets to a 4 or 5 after being active...
Do you mean cartifill? on what basis do you believe in this procedure?

Offline Brandon123

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2017, 08:57:28 AM »
Cartiflex seems to be some kind of supplement...do you take this, Geronimo?

http://qualityoflife.net/product/211/Cartiflex%C2%AE.html

Regarding supplements, I have tried glucosamine and chondroitin over long periods of time with minimal results.

Offline Geronimo

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #16 on: August 19, 2017, 05:33:14 AM »
lol...too many words... i meant cartiform.

Offline Brandon123

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #17 on: August 19, 2017, 09:29:11 AM »
OK :D

Offline reflex_nl

• Regular Poster
Re: Patella Cartilage damage - what is next? + Pictures (p2)
« Reply #18 on: September 11, 2017, 08:45:48 PM »
Just got feedback on my new MRI (and x-rays) this new MRI is taken 10 mth post operation. The only thing they did was debridement aka shaving the cartilage under the knee cap in Nov'16.

The conclusions were as follows:
1) limited to no cartilage regrowth in the lesion (as expected :()
2) 2 small osteophytes formed in the lesion (bad news)
3) No more bone bruises at the ligaments (ok news)
4) slight patella alta (already known)
5) very slight mall-tracking (lateral) (already known)
6) Some MPFL avulsion (new for me)
7) Other knee items intact (e.g ACL, Meniscus, MCL) (already known)

The big question is what to do next.... here in the Netherlands they cannot do anything (except for Microfacture or a new knee replacement), both awful solutions to my problem. They strongly advice against OATS (autograft) on the patella, and from most studies that I read, they are right as it has a low change of success and is very invasive.

Some others also mentioned MPFL reconstruction to increase stability but this doesn't remove the pain; the pain is for 99% coming from the damaged cartilage. Hence, the cartilage has to be fixed one way or they other. I willing to travel aboard but I need a local OS to sponsor and support me... (haven't found one yet... what they don't know they consider "experimental"...

Any ideas...?

Offline Brandon123

• Forum Faithful
Re: Patella Cartilage damage - what is next? (MRI Pictures - page 2)
« Reply #19 on: September 12, 2017, 04:03:28 PM »
Thanks for the update!

The only way to "restore" cartilage in the patellofemoral joint that you haven't mentioned, and that I know of, is ACI/MACI. They do repair patella cartilage damages (often larger) with those techniques, but it comes with the same problem as microfracture (and OATS): patella cartilage is the most difficult place to conduct the procedures. It is also quite expensive procedures from what I have read, and hence, many prefer microfracture as a cheaper and simpler alternative. It is also questionable whether at least ACI is much more successful than a traditional microfracture.

See for example: http://savingmyknees.blogspot.fi/2011/07/microfracture-vs-aci-which-makes-more.html 

But it might still be worth checking out? Have you seen Sune's story? His story reminds a bit of yours, I just found it the other day:

http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEtalk/index.php?topic=56991.0

http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEtalk/index.php?topic=60875.0

Maybe someone else know of any other cartilage restoration techniques?

Then we have stem cells of course, which I have been thinking of myself. Unfortunately, there is little solid scientific support for these procedures and they usually cost a lot. I guess that is why they aren't used in non-profit driven healthcare practice, and many European docs refer to such treatments as "experimental". I am not saying that it doesn't work, only that is seems to be (from what I have read) an expensive gamble.

I think it all comes down to 1) how much money you can spend, and 2) what procedure you are willing to try in terms of risk of failure. Just taking it easy and wait and hope it gets better with time is also a (maybe viable) alternative. In the end of the day, the only treatment with a rather predictable outcome, I guess, is knee replacement (maybe PF-joint only), but I understand of course that you don't want to go that route in your age (me neither).

« Last Edit: September 12, 2017, 04:39:47 PM by Brandon123 »

Offline Vickster

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Neelie knee!
« Reply #20 on: September 12, 2017, 04:43:13 PM »
Look at DreamRunner's diary of her fairly recent experience of patella repair+stem cells in Kent UK (Prof Sherry team, he's been having some success with patella cartilage for 5+ years going on feedback on this forum) Should be pretty accessible geographically from Europe (via Eurostar)

Don't know if you can get a referral and pay for private consult with your imaging, guessing around 300-500 if not UK resident. You'll likely need to get CT scanning too which isn't cheap (he orders this for full detail of anatomy etc)
LK arthroscopy 8/2/10
2nd scope on 16/12/10
RK MRI lat meniscus tear
8/1/15 RK Steroid jab,
RK arthroscopy on 5/2/15

Offline reflex_nl

• Regular Poster
« Reply #21 on: September 12, 2017, 05:06:07 PM »
@brandon, thanks for your reply. Indeed options are limited, but I'm happy to share my experiences so others can learn as well.

I did indeed contact Sune already via PM and had chat about MACI/ACI, the result were ok, not good, and literature hardly shows successful outcomes on the patella, although it is received better feedback compared to OATS. However, for me this is not available here (or in nearby countries) and as you mentioned really expensive...

Even so... I need a OS to help and "support" me if I chose for surgery aboard, and these OS's are hard to find.

Offline reflex_nl

• Regular Poster
« Reply #22 on: September 12, 2017, 05:08:29 PM »
Hi Vickster,

Based on your other comment I contacted dr. Shetty and I'm planning to visit him in October - keep you posted. I'll look into DreamRunner's dairy.

thx. Reflex

Look at DreamRunner's diary of her fairly recent experience of patella repair+stem cells in Kent UK (Prof Sherry team, he's been having some success with patella cartilage for 5+ years going on feedback on this forum) Should be pretty accessible geographically from Europe (via Eurostar)

Don't know if you can get a referral and pay for private consult with your imaging, guessing around 300-500 if not UK resident. You'll likely need to get CT scanning too which isn't cheap (he orders this for full detail of anatomy etc)

Offline Brandon123

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #23 on: September 12, 2017, 05:16:35 PM »
I did indeed contact Sune already via PM and had chat about MACI/ACI, the result were ok, not good, and literature hardly shows successful outcomes on the patella, although it is received better feedback compared to OATS.

Ok, thanks for the info! I was actually rather curious about his outcome.

Offline Brandon123

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #24 on: September 12, 2017, 05:19:45 PM »
Hi Vickster,
Based on your other comment I contacted dr. Shetty and I'm planning to visit him in October - keep you posted. I'll look into DreamRunner's dairy.
thx. Reflex

Please keep us updated on what he says, I am always interested in possible patella cartilage restoration procedures. Good luck with the visit!

Offline reflex_nl

• Regular Poster
« Reply #25 on: October 08, 2017, 06:57:49 PM »
Hi all!

I met Shetty last week, a kind an knowledgeable OS, a lot different from those in the Netherlands. He indeed suggested to use a procedure like cartifill (sort of fibrin glue, collagen, stem cell, scaffolding technique) to restore the cartilage behind the patella and maybe reconstruct the MFPL. My injury was caused by subluxation of the patella.

The road to recovery is long and he gave it a 80% chance of success in my case. It seems that if you do nothing to treat these lesions, they get bigger and worse over time... (he confirmed this). I will have to go back for a scan (CT+MRI) before he can really conclude what needs to be done. He did approx 200 of these surgeries. It is pretty expensive and all out of pocket cost for me... but to be honest I have little choice. And from all options considered this isn't too invasive...

Keep you posted on the next steps!

Offline Brandon123

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #26 on: October 09, 2017, 09:31:59 AM »
Great that you met with him and the procedure sounds promising! :)

Did he mention any specific challenges when it comes to patella cartilage lesions?

Also, can I ask what type of costs we are talking about for this kind of surgery? 5, 10, 15K?

Offline reflex_nl

• Regular Poster
« Reply #27 on: October 11, 2017, 06:35:36 PM »
No clue yet, as I also need the MPFL reconstruction, but my guess it will be on the upper end of your range.

Are you planning any other steps?

Offline Vickster

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Neelie knee!
« Reply #28 on: October 11, 2017, 06:46:00 PM »
Private cartilage repair will typically run GBP 10-15k. That's based on numbers I was given 6-7 years ago (e.g. For AMIC, a single scope procedure)
LK arthroscopy 8/2/10
2nd scope on 16/12/10
RK MRI lat meniscus tear
8/1/15 RK Steroid jab,
RK arthroscopy on 5/2/15

Offline Brandon123

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #29 on: October 12, 2017, 09:27:06 AM »
No clue yet, as I also need the MPFL reconstruction, but my guess it will be on the upper end of your range.

Are you planning any other steps?

Ok, I understand. Well, I must do something in the near future as the situation is not improving. However, as my patella cartilage damage is more of a wear and tear arthritis type than focal lesions, any cartilage repair surgery would probably be a long shot :-\

I had a chondroplasty in 2009 that worked really well for 6 years or so, but as we know, a new one would be a real gamble. One OS wants to do just that, a new chondroplasty with a lateral release and possible microfracture if he finds any deep focal lesions. I'm quite skeptic towards this, especially the LR and MF parts...two other OS want to do nothing (only conservative treatment), and eventually a patellofemoral joint replacement as last option.

So, it feels like I'm kind of stuck without any good reasonable options. As my next step, I will probably try to get a fourth opinion from a PF joint expert.   

Offline Brandon123

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #30 on: October 12, 2017, 09:28:06 AM »
Private cartilage repair will typically run GBP 10-15k. That's based on numbers I was given 6-7 years ago (e.g. For AMIC, a single scope procedure)

Many thanks for the info! :)