Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: # Patella hardware removal  (Read 849 times)

Offline Liblet

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 3
# Patella hardware removal
« on: July 17, 2017, 10:04:36 PM »
I know this has been done before but I thought I would give an account of my recent hardware removal.

I am now 8.5 months post comminuted # of my left Patella and TODAY I had the wire removed and also an Arthroscopy to remove a floating bone fragment.  I arrived at the hospital at 07.30, saw the anaesthetist, a registrar (although my original surgeon was to perform the op) and a nurse.  Once all the relevant checks were done, I got into a very fetching hospital gown and at 09.40 was taken to theatre.  The procedure took 1.5 hours and I was in recovery for 2 hours (my blood pressure was low).  During this time, a nurse stayed with me the whole time, which was amazing.  I did have some pain, probably 4.5/10, pain relief was kept topped up via the cannula they had inserted in the anaesthetic room.  I have dissolving stitches and removable ones other end of the incision (forgot to ask how big!) and a couple of removable stitches for the Arthroscopy.

I went back to the ward around 13.30 was given water and some tea and a little later a sandwich and more tea.  I did not need any more medication.  Once the nurse was satisfied that my bodily functions were behaving, I was allowed home.  This was about 15.30.  I did not need crutches or a stick, just walked slowly.

I spent a couple of hours in bed when I got home and then got up to watch some telly and have something to eat.  At about 18.30 I had a bit of pain and took a couple of Ibuprofen.

It is now 21.53 UK time, I am not in any pain lying down, some soreness over the wound, which incidentally is well wrapped up in bandages.  I have noticed that going upstairs, apart from wound discomfort and stiffness, the pain and pulling on the top of the knee has gone!!

I will continue this over the next few days/weeks, maybe it will help anyone about to have their metalwork out, now or in the future.  By the way, the surgeon left the screws in as they were deeply buried in the bone and to remove them would be an unnecessary risk in his opinion.  I completely agree with him, they are not causing any problems.  'If it ain't broke don't fix it'.

AncaRoberts

Re: # Patella hardware removal
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2017, 10:13:05 PM »
Hello Liblet, I did think of you today. :)
I am so glad all went well.
Well I had a phone call this evening and I might have the metalwork taken out tomorrow depending what's coming in  tonight from A&E.
I will hopefully update tomorrow.
Take care,
Anca

Offline Liblet

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2017, 07:30:21 AM »
Hi Anca, thank you for your kind words.  Do let me know if you have the hardware out, we can compare notes!  I will do an update later.  Liblet

Offline Liblet

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2017, 09:46:00 PM »
Day 2.  This morning my knee was quite sore but I was able to get up and walk around.  It is quite sore to walk, I have no restrictions on knee bend but the bandage and discomfort make walking difficult.  At rest I don't have much pain, I try to elevate my leg as much as possible.  Actually the side effects of the anaesthetic have been bothering me as much as the knee.  I don't have a temperature, although my face is burning, apparently a side effect.  My pulse is still quite high.  It got up to 100bpm in hospital and my BP was low!!  Tomorrow I will remove the large crepe bandage, leaving the dressing in place, will change that on Thursday.  My medication today consisted of 2 Ibuprofen when I got up and I have just taken 2 more for the night.  My ROM is only about 70 but I'm not pushing it, the wound is tender and I am nervous of putting the stitches under too much tension.

Offline mjeffrey

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 51
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2017, 06:03:49 PM »
Hey Liblet

Good idea to take it easy. I was worried about ROM as well, did too much too soon and slowed my recovery.

http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEtalk/index.php?topic=64604.msg618715#msg618715

good luck
Mark
2014:
20 Feb: Comminuted patella fracture, 4 K-wires, Cercalge, Figure of 8
11 Mar: Staples removed Flex 50
22 Apr: Control Xray, flex 80, progress stalled
09 May: MUA: flex 120, 3 weeks CPM
23 Jun: Slow Running, Flex 135
06 Jul: Flex 140
08 Aug: Hardware removed
10 Sep: full flexion

Offline Liblet

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2017, 06:40:38 PM »
Thanks Mark,

I remember reading your story of hardware removal and took note not to overdo things, so thank you for posting your story.  The anaesthetic is still in my system and making me feel pretty rough, the knee is sore but not too bad.  May I ask when you changed your dressing after leaving hospital.  I have a huge crepe bandage over my knee, which covers the dressing.  I have taken the crepe bandage off and the dressing is a bit bloody.  I put the outer dressing on again for safety but am thinking of removing tomorrow and changing the dressing.  I had the op on Monday, is that too early.  My stitches from the arthroscopy will come out on day 14, the incision over the Patella is dissolvable.  Your advice would be appreciated.  Many thanks.  Libby

AncaRoberts

« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2017, 04:33:28 PM »
Hi Libbi, how are you today?
Hope the side effects from general anastetic are gone now.
So nice you are still updating. :)
Unfortunately I've not had the operation on Tuesday as there were few urgent patients from A&E so I'm waiting for either a call or a letter with a date.
Mark, I'll have a look at your post so thanks for the link.
Anca

Offline Liblet

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2017, 07:03:35 PM »
I'm now day 4 post hardware removal.  Today I removed the outer bandage and changed the dressing.  The would looks ok and seems to be healing quite well, there is a small area which looks a little 'loose'!  I haven't needed any pain relief today and I think the effect of the GA is starting to diminish but slowly.  It is difficult to say what my ROM is, the dressing is still a little restrictive, the knee is a bit stiff but nothing too bad.  I am walking around fine.

I am not doing any exercise, apart from walking a bit and gently bending the knee.  I don't want to overdo things and put any progress back.  it is hard to go back to being bandaged and restricted but I can now see the end to this wretched tunnel and I feel that once the wound has healed, I will be able to build up my Quad muscle, which my OS said was in need of attention and nowhere near as good as the other leg.  Hello, I broke my Patella!!!

I am still getting people asking why I didn't just get a knee replacement and be done with it.  I have to explain that a Patella can't be replaced, would that it could.  People are always keen to tell me about friends who have had a knee replacement, which must be more serious than a broken kneecap and they are doing so much better than me!!

Anca, I am sorry you didn't have the op.  It's so difficult when you build yourself up and then to be told to 'stand down'.  That happened to me when I first had the accident.  I had to wait 4 days before I was operated on.  I kept hearing the helicopter arrive (the helipad was just outside my room) and I knew I would slip down the queue.

My advice at this stage is to rest and not be ashamed to go back to bed to sleep.  I have done a great deal of that in the last few days, the anaesthetic takes it out of you and your body has suffered yet more trauma.

Offline Sampson19511

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2017, 02:32:57 PM »
Yes, my friends and family think the patella ORIF should be a piece of cake compared to knee replacement, but in fact the patella is the worst bone to break in the entire body.  Knee replacement is much much easier.  They never take out the patella unless the absolutely cannot save it.  My surgeon warned me about recovery time, even though I have worked out for almost 45 years and I hike up mountains, in line skate, snow ski,  and mow an acre with a regular mower.  Nothing prepares you for recovery from a fractured patella what needs surgery.  It is not the bone that is the problem, it is the tendons and muscles that take a very long time to come back after brace removal in to 8 weeks.  I am kind of impatient and have a call into the doctor to see if my pain is really hardware and what other exercises I can do to strengthen the muscles on the sides of the operative leg and not just the front.  You have to do all around or your knee will be wobbly and feel like buckling.  I wish there was a quick fix.  Luckily my hair is stopping falling out from the anesthesia, but I lost 2/3 of it.  Luckily my hair was too thick to begin with.  S