Author Topic: Meniscus tear and knee tendonitis together  (Read 944 times)

Offline Ts2011

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Meniscus tear and knee tendonitis together
« on: July 05, 2017, 09:39:06 PM »
Guess what I'm wondering about is this, can medial meniscus tear keep me in a state of knee tendonitis? First let me give some background on my injury. Male, self employed and in my early 50's that up until 4 months ago was always on my feet, daily walks and a (seasonal job) where I walk a lot. Alright to my injury which i believe started in the gym,  started to get some swelling on the sides of rt knee. Anyways didn't get much time to rest as my work  was starting up and started to feel better. So I made through a few days issue free, did a lot of walking but made for some easy days, as wanted to test it. Btw Should add the thinking of my issue was knee tendonitis. So made it through a few days but had this hard job that needed to be done where my knee got put through some stress. And sure enough it did, bout halfway through, felt like something pulled in my patella tendon connects on the shin a company some insane pain that wanted to make me pay for my stupidity.  So that was bout 3 months ago, since that time, had mri which revealed quad and tendon tear, which I'm told are pretty minuet (if spelled that right) and the a medial meniscus tear (quarter inch slice, if that makes sense). Needless to say my work suffered but been trying to do what I could and until bout month ago felt an improvement but it just felt like I could not get over the hump and just been have having almost constant soreness or pain in knee and tendons. Should add my condition did go down as I tried to do to much bout 2 wks ago and been pretty much down. So anyways, wondering as was at the Dr today and got the idea I could be in a situation where one injury keeps agrivating the other. Or better put can the tear bring on tendonitis?  If anyone can relate, be appreciated, and also please excuse my writing skills, it's been a rough day.

Offline Ts2011

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
Re: Meniscus tear and knee tendonitis together
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2017, 10:01:39 PM »
Wanted to add to my post as I was at the Dr today they mentioned trimming part of where my tear is,  and feeling in my current state it's been consuming me since I left the office 4hrs ago. I just signed up and happy to finfpd this place but I'm wondering my tear is a quarter inch from what I was told, if did get it trimmed, is that a lot to get trimmed? It was mentioned at Dr that I should feel relieve from my pain, idk. As mentioned above my work does lot of walking, not good.

Offline Ts2011

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2017, 10:15:57 PM »
Wow, starting to feeling a lot more pain today, in area of the tear, been off of it for last wk and half but trip to Dr might have agrivated it, hope it's not getting worse.

Offline Ts2011

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2017, 02:03:24 AM »
Not sure this makes sense but do believe I had tendonitis but being I never had chance to rest it lonhg enough with and the tear maybe just kept messing with it they were playing off each. Anyways was able to work and as was told use pain as a guide to not over do it but that was up till 2 wks ago where everything went south and for good 7 days had some nice constant pain and pretty much been off of it. Only thing a shot and 2 wks of rest don't feel the tendonitis pain as much but I'm feeling this dull but serious pain inner knee coming from the tear. Not ssure what went down with my knee but almost feel s like a part of my tear is in between the joint. Could the tear have broken off, compressed or at worse grown in size, idk but where I was able to get around before now I'm feeling it when at times not even moving.Looks like  the choice of surgery is in my future has been decided I believe and hpefully soon.

Offline Ts2011

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2017, 02:10:54 AM »
Ikn if anybody reading this but wondering out loud and that is I had a shot 2 days ago and before it never had the feeling of something in the joint. Least I think something is in the joint but could it be far fetch to have the fluid of the shot push part of the tear in my joint?

Offline Vickster

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 254
  • Neelie knee!
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2017, 08:20:55 AM »
If you have a tear that is impacting on the mechanics of the knee, e.g. Locking, buckling, you'd probably best off getting it trimmed to stop it worsening.  At your age, the meniscus is likely degenerate and will be prone to more tearing, and there could well be some wear in the joint which can also rub away at the meniscus. 

What 'shot' did you have? Steroid? The pain could be due to a steroid flare, have you been icing?

Menisectomy is not wirthout risk, but if you are struggling to function, physio isn't helping, meds aren't helping, it's probably the way to go. Just expect 3-6 months to recover from the surgery, small holes with arthroscopy but it's not a benign procedure and traumatic to the joint
Came off bike onto concrete 9/9/09
LK arthroscopy 8/2/10
2nd scope on 16/12/10
LK New MRI shows lat & medial meniscus tear & other stuff
RK MRI lat meniscus tear
8/1/15 RK Steroid jab,
RK arthroscopy on 5/2/15
Lateral meniscus trim, excision of hoffa's fat pad, chondral stabilisation

Offline Ts2011

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2017, 11:06:20 PM »
Was told today the tear is flipping in and out of the joint. Was lead to believe the tear wasn't gonna be an issue cause of size and thought my pain was separate issue,. Had a couple of small tears in quad and patella tenden and maybe didn't give it enough time to recover but was always in the back of my mind. Anyways, yes, as much as heard good and bad bout surgery time to act. Just worried not that the tear got bigger, as was lead to believe it wouldn't and not to go on a rant but it seams a lot of things have messed up from the start of this injury. Hopefully it is flipping in and out but not feeling to confident it didn't get bigger. The shot, anti-inflamatory and the surgery, sounds like its wks away as my next app. 3wks and then to schedule, who knows, sounds like gonna be long wait. As much as would rather this guy do it, think I gotta try some other places for sooner.

Offline Ts2011

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2017, 11:39:08 PM »
My job self employed, involved a lot of walking and up until till 3 wks ago when the pain made it to much to work even function I was working but cut way way back to a fraction of what I use to do. Been suffering finiacially as this injury hit right before my most important time and I been helplessly watching my livelihood go down. This is like the 3rd major injury in last seeven years not counting a foot injury that kept me down and had been taking a beating so after previous injury I did some schooling in some down time. Anyways, if anyone can relate, guess all injuries can be unique but the schooling I did involved a lot driving, so now I wondering or worried doing that type of work is gonna be doable. From what I know of my injury, gonna find out more of type of tear next wk but it's a post horn medial tear if that sounds right. And type again not sure but when MRI was done 2 months back a quarter inch tear along the back I believe. Just wondering anybody seeing this with similar can relate back, thanks

Offline Ts2011

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2017, 02:52:18 AM »
Just reading steroid flare, first of heard of it. Thanks

Offline Ts2011

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2017, 09:49:48 PM »
Today so far different, I think that's what that was. Steroid flare.Think they would of mentioned this before I got the shot, guess it's par for the course as I'm researching a lot of things that were not mentioned.

Offline jackson7

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 5
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2017, 06:35:48 PM »
No one on here is going to be able to diagnose your problems.  Everyone's injuries are slightly different...but even those slight differences, combined with one's unique body makeup/chemistry, change every injury drastically.

Take my case with a grain of salt, but I had an torn meniscus (failed diagnosis) on which I walked too much,  which, within just 2 days of steep downhills, developed into a massive case of synovitis and patellar tendonitis...synovium swelled/scarred and couldn't walk at all for several months after. 

Of course, I sought medical treatment immediately after the meniscus tear, but both of the MRIs I had didn't  detect anything.  So, I waited and kept walking, hoping things would just get better naturally.  After several more months after my synovium blew up, I'd had enough and elected for diagnostic arthroscapy.  Point being: be glad you already have a diagnosis and can take care of the problem before you make it any worse.

Dec 2015: slow speed bicycle crash (wet leaves)
Jan 2016: a zillion x-rays & 2 MRIs only showed tendinosis
Mar 2016: bone scan showed "uptake" in all compartments
Aug 2016: cortisone shot (did nothing)
Mar 2017: diag scope (partial med meniscus resection, med fem chondroplasty, synovectomy)

Offline Ts2011

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2017, 05:52:27 AM »
Injury is frustrating. Anyways been awhile but was saying been feeling this new issue along inside of knee. Not really crazy or hiring like the ready of my knee at times but a dull or irrating type on different levels at times. Now this was noticed snce my injection wk and half ago,, don't know if my tear got worse but what it's feelig like as if something is stuck behind a muscle or tendon on .side of knee where joint area is. Crazy, as it sounds, earlier today felt the discomfort shoot up leg a little bit. Idk, just hoping not causing long term damage

Offline Ts2011

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2017, 04:29:42 AM »
Well its been a long ride since my knee issues first started back in march are were confirmed to be posterior medial tear post horn if got that right from an MRI back in mid-May I believe. And as things seam to be progressing worse in some regards I'm not feeling the tendonitis as much. Granted I basically stopped working around the juy 4th period as something I did must have inflamed things taking my pain up to level few wks after the beginning of my troubles. Being self employed was trying to work through but could meet get over the hump it seams. Back in April I had thought things were gonna improve until it went south, where I felt something like my patella tendon going out. After some rest, ice got myself working again. It was like working to break even, as work in the green industry but want to truck Thur as this time of year is where I make my money. Needless to say it was like going through the motions, was almost like a waste of time. Seams would start feeling but could not get over the hump. Then July might have over done it as was feeling it, majority of my pain was in the ptendon, knee cap. Through this I've seen a few dr.s.where one never mention the tear and one that said my tear shouldn't be an issue, just be careful not to twist (should have then why not) because besides over doing it I worked on something equipment need for my job and think doing this I twisted because 4 next 2 wks had some really nice pain, in the knee cap area and tendon, and also outside inner knee below joint line. Nor sure if mention but since then few thing have happened. Took the few wks for pain to die down and rt around that time I was given an injection. Felt good for day but started noticing someirrating pain along my inner joint area. At time mention I heard steroid flame, maybe but not at end of July it seam to want to come and go with last week it been wanting to stay. Now after seeing from 3 occasions and knowing or seeing what my tear is, got dumbfounded as to what this is. Not I guess the one thing I know bout tear is that it is flipping in and out of joint. Which make me wonder, is this the new pain I'm feeling or did it break and lodge in the joint or at worse could this be bone on bone. For the last month now I decided to stay of it as the new pain in joint made it hard to put weight on it for long and with the Dr visit next week, hopefully could find out more about what's up with this joint pain and is it really from a flipped menicus or at worse bigger as my Dr app is next wk finally. Guess if had any good news though my lower petella has seam to stabilized.

Offline jackson7

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 5
« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2017, 07:38:15 PM »
I understand the fears of getting scoped, but, in hindsight, I wish I would've had mine done as soon as possible.  Anything and everything I did after tearing my meniscus complicated my problems exponentially.  By not having the scope asap, I blew up my synovium, got a terrible case of tendonitis, meniscus flap scraped up my femoral cartilage, got a stupid cortisone shot (they degrade cartilage) and now my other knee hurts because it's been compensating so much for so long.

Essentially, all scopes are "diagnostic".  They usually go in to fix something seen on MRI, but occasionally find other issues and repair them.

After a year of walking around with all the knee problems I aquired, I finally came to the realization waiting wasn't working and a scope would either make my knee better or it will stay the same.

(too soon to tell if my knee is any better...but it's not any worse than pre-scope).

« Last Edit: July 28, 2017, 07:47:16 PM by jackson7 »
Dec 2015: slow speed bicycle crash (wet leaves)
Jan 2016: a zillion x-rays & 2 MRIs only showed tendinosis
Mar 2016: bone scan showed "uptake" in all compartments
Aug 2016: cortisone shot (did nothing)
Mar 2017: diag scope (partial med meniscus resection, med fem chondroplasty, synovectomy)

Offline Ts2011

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2017, 03:15:09 AM »
Wow, they were so quick that day I went in to get that needle going. From what was lead to believe the tear keeps flipping in and out of the joint, can't get any worse and now I been wondering, worried big time cause it before the shot I wad able to to straighten my leg without any issues. Pretty was able to strretch it, what was really nice, sleep at night without it having to be bent, lately I had to add pillows between my knees. Will say the tendonitis is not as bad but I really heaven't gave it a reason to as now it's crazy to even walk around on it and just been trying to wait patiently for my next app. and asap surgurey date,  which something which the shot has delayed as they also told me after fact again it is something that will have to wait on, being cantp,t go in to soon after a shot. Have been going on the hope that maybe it is a fragment that is flipped in joint that maybe just wanted to stay there, or scar tissue which not sure if is good or bad at this point or possibly the tear has messed with the outside ligament nearby fixable during the surgery. Anyways, jackson7, thanks as didn't know. Kind of wondered if anybody had been reading, ads not the best writer atm and did kind of ramblined on I believe the other night as been feeling very isolated with injury and maybe thought I was some kind of nut. U know I been self employed (job love but has isolated me) and up until a few wks ago just been agreeing with the Dr as the biz I started bout 12 half yes ago was taking a beating and getting my major focus and energy to try and get through this and although it seams many bits and pieces of this injury has been mention it seams after the fact and nothing good has panned out, sounds very familiar, looking back, I worried I may have focused on wrong thing, causing me to make bad moves with unreverable outcomes or something to that effect. Thanks again hope ur having nite as for some reason tonight, more so for some reason, was feeling really down.

Advertisement

support