Author Topic: Patella fracture walking time/ recovery  (Read 437 times)

Offline athlete07

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Patella fracture walking time/ recovery
« on: July 01, 2017, 08:42:58 PM »
Hi everyone.
I am 19 years old and play several sports, I fractured my patella into two pieces (non displaced) after falling off my bike I recently had surgery where they put three 2mm screws into my knee to hold it together on the 16th June. I am currently in a cast which is going to be removed in two days and I will then be in a knee brace for a while after that at this moment in time my knee feels quite unstable when I try putting weight on it and after a while will start aching my question is when will I be back to walking normally without the need of crutches/knee brace? 

Offline Enmore

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Re: Patella fracture walking time/ recovery
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2017, 06:05:48 AM »
Hi there

i am almost in the same boat.

Fell on 11th June, surgery 12th June with pins and tension banding.

No cast just ROM brace locked out till today with 30 degress movement. can walk but not far due to pain and stiffness.

To say i am over this is an understatement.....
6/11/17 - Broken Patella (4 bits)
6/12/17 - surgery Patella tension wired.
6/15/17 - Released from Hospital.
6/29/17 - Off Crutches and pain meds.

Offline Liblet

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 3
Re: Patella fracture walking time/ recovery
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2017, 08:38:18 AM »
Hi there, so sorry to hear that you have joined the 'fractured Patella club'.  This is not a club anyone wants to join but at least you have found this forum.

I had a comminuted fracture of my left Patella in November 2016, pins and wire.  I was in hospital 8 days and then discharged with a Donjoy brace set at 30 degrees.  This was moved to 60 degrees after 2 weeks but unfortunately after an X-ray that showed the bones had all moved slightly, I was put at 0 degrees for 2 weeks and then gradually increased the range of movement.  Walking was very slow, although I could put some weight on it.  During this time I never thought I would walk properly again.  At about 9 weeks the brace was removed but I was still on crutches.  I kept the brace and found that every so often I needed extra support, especially driving.  Walking at this time was not too bad as I still had the crutches but I couldn't walk more than about 60 metres.  At around the 3/4 month mark I ditched the crutches and set off solo.  My first walk was about 20 metres and I felt faint, sick and very wobbly.  This is so depressing because you really don't think you will ever be normal again.  I took comfort from this site, from people who had gone through everything I was experiencing and come out the other side.  Walking gradually got better, as I got stronger.  I am now 8.5 months out and can go for a good walk with no problems.  The knee gets tight if I stay in one position.  Standing still is the worst.  Walking up and down stairs is still clunky and can be a little painful.  I worked very hard on getting my ROM back and I now have full movement.

My advice is to find a hydrotherapy pool and do lots of pool exercising, very good for the soul and really helped with my rehab.  This is a devastating injury and it will take time and masses of patience.  Hang in there, things will get better but don't rush.

On Monday I am having the hardware removed and this is making me very nervous, as I will be going backwards for a while.

Advertisement

support