Author Topic: Pain 15 years post TTT need options  (Read 242 times)

Offline Pkklipp2

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Pain 15 years post TTT need options
« on: June 27, 2017, 03:50:56 PM »
I had a TTT/LR done on both knees 15 years ago at the age of 18 due to tracking issues. I am now 33 yo and have arthritis in both knees. I have been doing cortisone and Synvisc for 5 years.  I am miserable a good percent of the time because you can only get Synvisc every 6 months. I am going to get a second opinion soon but what is everyone else's experience this many years out? What options are there? I know I am too young for a new knee but I hate to think of injections every 6 months for the next 20 years.  Thanks.

Offline tinydinosaur

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 19
Re: Pain 15 years post TTT need options
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2017, 09:16:23 PM »
Really depends on the extent of the damage, where and how big the cartilage defects would be.

There's 'lots' of potential options but it comes down to your specific case, the surgeons available in your area or under your coverage. Stuff like microfracture, PRP, OATS, cartiform, cartifill, etc.

As well as looking at offloading braces if the damage is in only one compartment of the knee.

I think almost any surgeon you see would want to do whatever they can to buy you time before you absolutely need a PKR or TKR  - as there's a limit to how many revisions can be done. Which sucks for those of us who are 'too young' but constantly suffering  :'(

Offline Brandon123

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 12
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2017, 08:52:45 AM »
As tinydinosaur said, I guess it all really depends on the type and extent of the damage. Local cartilage defects are much easier to fix (with some of the mentioned procedures) than full-blown arthritis, which is more or less untreatable (except for PKR or TKR). With advanced arthritis it is all about pain management, injections etc. until your OS thinks you qualify for PKR or TKR.

I'm in a similar situation, and it is really difficult to find good treatment alternatives for arthritis at a young age. Sounds like a good idea to get a second opinion, please keep us updated on what the OS said!

Offline Pkklipp2

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2017, 06:05:46 PM »
Thanks for the replies. I did get a second opinions and recently had surgery on one of my knees. He performed microfracture due to an area being bone on bone, synovectomy, capsular release, and anterior interval release. So far recovery is slower than I would have hoped but fingers crossed this does the trick. Again thanks for the replies.

Advertisement

support