Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Mencius Debridement problems  (Read 276 times)

Offline floorman

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Mencius Debridement problems
« on: June 19, 2017, 01:46:16 PM »
My wife went to a leading Orthopedic Surgeon in Cedar City, UT for a basic Meniscus debridement for what the MRI called a tear. During the surgery he found a grade 4 defect of the condyle. I believe he smoothed any loose tissue off. It has now been 2 1/2 months since the surgery and her knee is still visibly swollen vs the other knee and the knee is still and becomes inflamed if she walks to any degree. She wakes up inflamed. We have two back ice packs she uses daily, sometimes most all day to relieve the inflammation. The Dr. saw her a month ago and said she needs more time to heal and that she was not a candidate for a steroid injection or physical therapy due to the swelling. My wifeís pain level before the surgery was anywhere from a 0-5 on a ten scale. It was chronic but she also had times when there was no pain for periods of time. She wishes she had not had the surgery. It seems to me that the repair should have given her a better outcome than what she had before the surgery. The tear was removed. The grade 4 defect of the condyle was there before the surgery. Any thoughts please as to what she should do? The Dr. said at her last visit that he didnít think he needed to see her again. tia

Offline jackson7

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 5
Re: Mencius Debridement problems
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2017, 02:23:40 AM »
People heal differently/at different rates.  2 1/2 months may not be very much time considering what was done.  Do what your dr. says, but i would'nt worry so soon...it can take 8 months to a year for fibrocartilage to fill in and all the swelling to minimize.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2017, 04:32:48 AM by jackson7 »
Dec 2015: slow speed bicycle crash (wet leaves)
Jan 2016: a zillion x-rays & 2 MRIs only showed tendinosis
Mar 2016: bone scan showed "uptake" in all compartments
Aug 2016: cortisone shot (did nothing)
Mar 2017: diag scope (partial med meniscus resection, med fem chondroplasty, synovectomy)

Offline tinydinosaur

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 19
Re: Mencius Debridement problems
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2017, 08:19:06 AM »
it can really depend, as surgery itself is an 'insult' the body must heal from as well and every body is different. i've had a fair few scopes and these days it takes about three months for the surgical pain to settle down (like a deep rawness inside the knee joint).

with swelling and inflammation that can cause it's own issues as well as there's excess fluid in there messing with the knee mechanics. i would look into trying to get that under control, see a GP to try and get anti-inflammatories if that's an option, see if they help control inflammation (for myself cold packs work, oral anti-inflammatories do not).

i would also try and see someone for some gentle rehabilitation advice, in my opinion, being completely inactive (unless you absolutely have to because of surgery protocol or pain) is just as bad as aggravating an irritated knee with too much activity. whether it's gentle ROM exercises, quad contractions, tiny straight leg raises, something to keep the muscles from wasting away. athletic therapist/physiotherapist might also be able to do some modality treatment, flushing, interferential current, ultrasound which also may help settle the knee down. as well as making sure her surgical scars are not adhesed.

if she wakes up inflamed is it the heat of the covers causing it? (she can try sleeping with say a cut off pajama pant leg to keep it cooler, or is she sleeping on her stomach or in a position that is aggravating the knee - she can try putting a combination of pillows and blankets under/around the knee so it's in a more comfortable position.

i know a friend who has a tear (no surgery) and struggled with it for a really long time, because it was hard to do rehab with it always swollen. sometimes you have to find many different ways of coping and getting through the inflammation hump so you can recover and be more functional.

hope this helps.