Author Topic: Regenexx for Bone Edema  (Read 351 times)

Offline SnowDay

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Regenexx for Bone Edema
« on: June 17, 2017, 01:54:08 AM »
Hey everyone, I'm new to the boards and am debating having the same day regenexx treatment done on my bum knee.

I've read quite a bit on the boards but couldn't find too much info on people's experiences who had their "bone augmentation" procedure performed. i.e. when they do a specific stem cell shot into the bone (to help heal bone edema). This was suggested as an optional item for me after my consultation. Any feedback there is appreciated.

For those interested or to help shed more light....

40 Years old, had ACL repair and meniscectomy performed almost exactly 20 years ago. At that time they removed nearly 80% of my lateral meniscus and 50% of medial meniscus. Knee was in rough shape- ski injury, trying to land 720's, late season in mashed potatoes, landed while still rotating... you get the picture.

ACL has held up all these years (no instability problems). I stayed super active through 20's, 30's, hiking, weight lifting, muay thai/kick boxing and skiing.  Skiing was just about the only thing that would give my knee problems (swollen the day after) but I dealt with it.

Fast forward to this ski season (best season of my life due to Tahoe conditions), skied more and harder than I have in years and ignored any pain. Last skied mid-April and while typical inflammation has subsided I get some tenderness in back of knee when landing my heel at end of my step after long hikes or specific movements.

So really have not had any pain/issues from day to day stuff until now. My diet/exercise has been dialed in for years (incorporating fish oil, ginger/turmeric in protein shakes) & low body fat % which likely helps.

Got my first MRI in 20 years, ACL looked good (had patellar tendon autograft originally) but severe lateral compartmental degeneration, less so medial. Pretty pronounced bone edema in one area in lateral compartment that is bone on bone (likely source of pain).

Given my situation, I don't have huge expectations from regenexx except to buy me some more time from a pain perspective (and hopefully delay the inevitable). I'm doing PT for next few months (see if that helps) and will make decision by September. I can part with the money but not so well off to be one of the guys that does this every other year. What I don't want to do is spend the money and be in more pain if their bone augmentation shots are not practiced so much (seems like they have limited data on that from their site).

Happy to answer any questions and appreciate any feedback. Thanks!

Offline The KNEEguru

• Administrator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 75
  • The KNEEguru
    • The KNEEguru
Re: Regenexx for Bone Edema
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2017, 10:06:46 AM »
In your researches, I suggest you also look at high tibial osteotomy as an option. http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEnotes/courses/realignment-osteotomy-knee-pain
--
KNEEguru

Offline SnowDay

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2017, 06:52:09 PM »
Thanks for the feedback.

Offline dal_knee

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 42
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2017, 01:05:50 AM »
Snowday,

You won't get posters here who can report on regenexx for bone edema.  Just offering perspective here, but the provider should help answer how many injections are needed for complete/near complete healing of bone.  Stem cell injections are expensive, I think you can ask for testimonial/contact info of those who have been treated by the regenexx provider. For whatever reason, providers are generally more receptive to these requests when you are going "outside the insurance-loop" so-to-speak.   
2007 - partial medial meniscectomy
2010 - full thickness chondral defect & adjacent subchondral edema MFC.   Direct result of stupid partial mensicectomy from 2007.
2014 - Subchondroplasty, chondroplasty, unauthorized 2nd partial medial meniscectomy.
2015 - partial failure of subchondroplasty.

Offline SnowDay

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2017, 03:26:08 AM »
Thanks, do you think I won't get feedback here due to lack of board members having had this performed?

I plan to circle back to the provider to request more info as well, just looking for some unfiltered experiences or feedback from those who are not necessarily "hand picked".

I have a quote at this point so cost is transparent. I'm based in US so all is out of insurance. Thanks again,

Offline dal_knee

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 42
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2017, 03:42:44 AM »
Yes, that's exactly what I'm saying....no board members are posting about stem cell injections direct into bone for bone edema because it's just not a common type of treatment.  This is a UK based knee forum site as well, so that adds another layer of separation in terms of "regenerative" types of treatments that users will post about.   

2007 - partial medial meniscectomy
2010 - full thickness chondral defect & adjacent subchondral edema MFC.   Direct result of stupid partial mensicectomy from 2007.
2014 - Subchondroplasty, chondroplasty, unauthorized 2nd partial medial meniscectomy.
2015 - partial failure of subchondroplasty.

Offline SnowDay

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2017, 03:50:45 AM »
Got it, makes sense.

Advertisement

support