Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: New here! Top cartilage surgeon help/ stem cell  (Read 613 times)

Offline rick5150

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
New here! Top cartilage surgeon help/ stem cell
« on: June 15, 2017, 08:07:16 PM »
Looking for some help, info and where to post as well looking for who is truly considered the best at complicated/cartilage knee issues anywhere in the world and at any cost.

In short i have a sharp muscle shutting down pain i believe under my knee cap anytime a weighted or single legged squat maneuver is made stairs etc. I have been unable to build quad muscle basically since first surgery/ 6 months post op into pt

Timeline of surgeries, procedures etc,

5/1/15- Motocross crash torn acl
5/18/15- Patellar Tendon acl reconstruction and lateral meniscus repair (slight shaving)
5 months post op during single legged ball squats in PT began to develop pain during any squatted maneuver, diagnosed initially as patellar femoral pain this went on till February with PT and breaks.
2/3/16- "Exploratory" scope done on right knee after no pain relief from initial complaint.  found a blister on cartilage under my knee cap and decided to shave it, this is in the V area under the knee cap of cartilage. After 8 weeks of PT the pain was still there but a tiny bit less severe although i could tell leading to the 8 weeks it was not successful.
10/7/16- Flew out to Boston Sports Medicine to see Dr Thomas Gill and have vision scope done to see what was happening without having to be put to sleep. He saw and concluded that right at the bending point of pain my knee cap would fall into the void and a bit of a flap from the previous shaved blister would tuck under and a audible click was at that point as well. He suggested microfracture. Also a cortisone shot was done at this time to great success but lasted only 6 weeks at most.
11/28/16- Regenexx stem cell procedure done to my left knee this is my bone marrow stem cells followed by prp i saw a very very slight improvement from this and from doing pt for the following 4 months the audible click is no longer audible.
4/5/17- Synvisc-one shot put into left knee this helped about 15-20% i could go up and down stairs without pain most of the time with this shot but after 7 weeks I could still not do anything active enough to build a quad muscle.
5/30/17- Met with Dr Nancy Cummings from Mayo Sport Clinic in Minneapolis and did a MRI she concluded she like to try chondroplasty to smooth out the area under the knee cap and at that point inject stem cells into the area as well. With still the possibility if not successful to come back and do "oats"

Offline reflex_nl

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 4
Re: New here! Top cartilage surgeon help/ stem cell
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2017, 11:18:00 AM »
Quite a story, I suffer from large cartilage damage to the patella as well and have not found a solution. I was thinking about stems cells, but it appears it didn't help you much.

If I were you, I would wait a bit for any next steps, cartilage damage is a complex matter to deal with, but if you find something I would love to hear about it.

This is my issue:
http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEtalk/index.php?topic=68466.0
RK Patella Luxation in 2000
RK Scope grade 2 damage to patella
RK PT for 4 mths, recovered 90% after 4 years
LK Patella Luxation in Oct'16
LK Scope grade 4 damage to patella Nov'16
LK PT ongoing... in a lot of pain...

Offline rick5150

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2017, 04:41:21 PM »
Waiting is not an option.

I'll be heading to Dr Laprade in Vail on Monday to see what he thinks we should do.
Thx to this site he seems like he'll be the guy for me to goto.

Offline dal_knee

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 43
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2017, 05:30:54 PM »
If I were you I would concurrently get an opinion from Dr Saw (Malaysia) or Dr Broyles.   

Regardless of which surgical interventions you end up with, I would make sure your patella is tracking normally all of the time.  If not, any new cartilage might simply be sheered right off due to maltracking.   Patella is the trickiest for cartilage regrowth.
2007 - partial medial meniscectomy
2010 - full thickness chondral defect & adjacent subchondral edema MFC.   Direct result of stupid partial mensicectomy from 2007.
2014 - Subchondroplasty, chondroplasty, unauthorized 2nd partial medial meniscectomy.
2015 - partial failure of subchondroplasty.

Offline reflex_nl

• Regular Poster
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2017, 11:06:40 PM »
Ok let us know what your dr suggest to do next

Offline rick5150

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2017, 06:00:24 PM »
Chondroplasty with LaPrade next week and of course he'll measure the size of the pothole in case of OATS if this does not solve my pain. He was reluctant to offer or suggest stem cells besides overseas Germany etc as he was about to do a speech on them and the fact that not one single US company would give him any info or documentation on process, counts or results.

I'll do Chondroplasty and try to get a recommendation on stem cells in Germany and best time to do it, if i wait and heal and see how the chondroplasty works first or go shortly after surgery. Id rather fly around the world a few times for stem cells before doing OATS.

Offline reflex_nl

• Regular Poster
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2017, 06:46:55 PM »
They recommeded oats for my case as well... but is is risky and invasive. Are maci en denovo nt better options?

Which company in germary did they recommend? I'm happy to contact them.

Offline Brandon123

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 14
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2017, 09:09:12 AM »
I would also be interested learning more about the stem cells treatment in Germany.

Good luck with the chondroplasty!

Offline rick5150

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2017, 02:47:18 AM »
Didn't even get into it too much on the stem cells being an option because my defect is 10x15mm way too damn big for stem cells at this point to ever have a chance also it's in the trochlea
Oats allograft in my future will wait for donor now.
We did do bone marrow and prp on defect area to aid in healing/hope lol

Offline Brandon123

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 14
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2017, 08:14:02 AM »
Ok, please keep us updated on your progress!

support