Author Topic: Advice/help on multiple tears  (Read 350 times)

Offline fwstringer

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Advice/help on multiple tears
« on: June 12, 2017, 02:10:18 PM »
Hi everyone,

First time poster, long time reader.

I am 29, male, rugby player (heavy). I have previously had a partial lateral meniscectomy.

I have re-torn my meniscus, along with a partial ACL tear and tear of knee cap cartilage. I did this in October. Had my MRI in January and have been referred for surgery. I am meeting my surgeon on Thursday.

In the last month I have been in a significant amount more pain than before. To the point where is it difficult to move around without crutches, and sitting for any length of time is incredibly painful.

I have a couple of questions that I was hoping you guys could help with.

Firstly, is there anything I can do to relieve the pain further (already taking a multitude of pills)

Secondly, if they repair all of the things that are wrong with my knee, what does recovery look like? How long should i expect to be off work for (office job)?

Don't worry, I have donated my rugby kit to a charity.

Thanks in advance,

Freddy

Offline Hill Girl

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 3
Re: Advice/help on multiple tears
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2017, 08:05:33 AM »
Hi Freddy

Sorry to hear of your woes, saw you'd not had a reply so although I can't answer about your specific set of circumstances (I've only had meniscus surgery and ACL surgery as separate procedures) hopefully it will be good to have some feedback.

Re going back to work I would recommend, having just had ACL surgery, take as much time as you need to ensure you can fit the crucial rehab in. Getting range of movement back in the early weeks is so important and you need to work on this regularly throughout the day, as well as icing.

You also have to consider, even if it's a desk job, what is your office environment like?  Can you get in and out safely (handrails on stairs/steps, lifts, toilet on your level etc?).  If non-weightbearing crutches on stairs are pretty precarious if you have to go up and down them regularly at work. What about travel to and from?  Don't take any unnecessary risks of falling in the early weeks!

The surgeon I had recommended six weeks off which felt like a long time as I know some people go back to work within days or just a couple of weeks.  I felt guilty about the length of time I would be off and that this would be a luxury.  In the event a bleed into my calf after the op meant the first few weeks were a bit rougher than expected and I couldn't weight bear on that leg so I didn't feel so guilty at the beginning.  After four weeks I asked physio if I should go back but she said stay at home and do your rehab, you won't get that time back! She was right, once you are back at work it is much harder to fit this all in!  You just need to look at your individual circumstances and don't compromise your recovery by returning too soon if you don't have to.  My work place were really understanding and I'm making up for lost time now!  You may be able to do stuff on a laptop from home etc.

Re the pain you currently have - have you had/are you getting physio advice/treatment?  This is important in the run-up to surgery to make sure you go into it in the best condition you can.  What you can do to prepare/strengthen your knee will depend on a physio assessment/advice though.

Sorry to hear you've decided to call it a day with rugby. It's really hard when injuries/wear and tear mean you have to give up or modify things you love.  Even if it's short to medium term a road or mountain bike may become a good friend for both rehab and fresh air/adrenaline/speed!

Good luck with it all.
Mar 2006 ACL rupture skiing.  Bone bruise.  No ACLR - lots of rehab got me back to the hills.

Feb 2016 Medial meniscus bucket handle tear left knee, c75% removed.

ACLR (hamstring autograph) 03/17

Patellofemoral/trochlear wear in the other knee

Offline fwstringer

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Re: Advice/help on multiple tears
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2017, 09:19:31 AM »
Hello,

Thank you for your reply.

My workplace are amazing and incredibly supportive. They won't rush me back, they will also support me whilst trying to come back to work. My Boss will also give me lifts to work when needed. A good bunch all round. There are also plenty of lifts, and options for other offices to work in, so the work environment is as good as it could be.

I will certainly bear your advice in mind and take it as it comes.

I am regularly seeing physios and I am in fairly decent shape, apart from being heavy, mostly muscle, but some beer and pizza too. Quads are fairly big and strength in my legs I am fine.

The thing that is getting to me most is not being able to do any exercise at all. Even swimming and cycling are causing enormous amounts of pain at the moment. I will see what the surgeon says tomorrow. Unfortunately I am having to use the NHS, so the wait time has been since October, just for the first appointment with not a lot of other solutions.

Thanks again for your reply. I will attempt to keep this updated as I go through the process.

Thanks

Freddy

Advertisement

support