Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Author Topic: My brace keeps falling down! Help!  (Read 4587 times)

Offline faith

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
My brace keeps falling down! Help!
« on: March 05, 2004, 11:57:02 AM »
I have a twisted leg (knee points in, foot points out) and maltracking issues.  For some time now I have been relying on a bledsoe brace to ease the pain when it's really bad though that's quite cumbersome and I've been looking to replace it.

In the absence of a speedy referral to orthotics I've found a really good brace which fits nicely round my crooked leg because you velcro the hinges on after you've fitted it so that they can accomodate the twisting.  The whole thing is held in place with three velcro straps above my knee and three below it.

My problem is that the brace keeps slipping down, no matter how tight I pull in the straps.  Short of doing it up so tight that I cut off the circulation to my foot has anyone got any bright ideas?

Really frustrated  :-[

Faith
R knee arthroscopy 1991; tibial osteotomy 1992; metalwork removed 1993; arthroscopy and lateral release 2004; ossicle removal 2007; arthroscopic debridement 2010; PFJR 2012; scar tissue removal & debridement 2013

Offline anasta5ia

• Forum Faithful
Re: My brace keeps falling down! Help!
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2004, 03:11:20 AM »
Faith-

Because of the shape of my leg, I have tremendous problems keeping my braces up.  I am currently in a Bledsoe brace and I made sure that before they put the brace on me in the OR that they did not make the lower portion of it any shorter.  The lowest foam strap sits right at the point where my foot and ankle come together.  This ensures that it cannot slide any further down.

I even had to have a footpiece put on the bottom of my full leg cast that I was stuck in.  

Anyway, those are my only two suggestions.  Wish I could be of more help.

Hugs-
Heather G.  
Rt. knee-plica resection, LR, 4 TTTs, MPFL repair & 2 MPFL reconstructions
Lt. knee-2 TTTs, & 2 MPFL reconstructions...
Scheduled for bilateral hardware removal, lt. knee TT revision, MPFL recon and LR recon with new wonderful surgeon.
Plus 9 other orthopedic surgeries

Offline Beauzer

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • I want to become the person my dog thinks I am
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2004, 03:14:41 AM »
I've had some sliding problems with my new unloader brace too.  I finally seem to have them under some control.  First, if there's a strap that goes across the back just below the knee, tightening it keeps the brace up better.  In addition, we replaced some of the strap pads with sheepskin and this seems to help too.  My orthotist said the next step is to add an extension and a foot plate

Good luck
Danielle ;D
32 - R knee gone to hell
lat. meniscus 94
ACL, chondroplasty 98
Chondroplasty 99
Screw fell out into joint, med. meniscus, microfracture 99
MCL/med. capsule recon, med. meniscus 00
Chondroplasty 04
Chrondroplasty 1/05
OATS 4/05 for OCD lesion
AVN, MFC fracture 10/05

Offline dm

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 16
  • I hate my knee!! :(
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2004, 03:46:19 AM »
try wrapping your leg with self adhesive ace bandage first. It's got some tack to it so it tends to grip the leg better, and might help stop the migration.
multiple arthroscopies 2/00,3/01,6/01,1/03, 12/07,10/10. chondromalacia, severe medial joint space narrowing following 3 partial menisectomies, chronic pain problems, kneecap problems, OCD lesion, failed mfx.

mod

« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2004, 07:37:30 PM »
try using a tubi grip underneath first that usually stops it slipping
Mod

Offline ATsoccergirl

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Practice safe sports, use an athletic trainer
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2004, 10:35:18 PM »
My derotational brace slides use to slide all over the place until my muscles were developed more.  My orthotist took the pads off the tight shell and replaced it with velcro.  He then gave me a pair of compression shorts with the fuzzy part of the velcro on it.  It really helped keep my brace up since it didn't have to rely so much on my muscle for suspensionl.
1999 LR, 2002 ACL/PLC recon, reversal of LR, 2004 ACL revision, 2006 Car accident torn PCL and small fractures resulting in bone chips in my knee.  Torn MCL 3 times.  Wicked screws under IT band and Pes Anserine.  June 2008-Hip Arthroscopy.