Author Topic: Going mental  (Read 1098 times)

Offline Limpit

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Going mental
« on: June 03, 2017, 11:38:15 AM »
Gardener 29,open patella fracture and patella tear,was very active,now my work seasons slipping by,all of my hobbies where very active hostpitals terrible 1 month on no PT only found out what exactly i did untill the xray staff talked me through it.just wont to get back to work,im on 60 degrees rom,i gave myself,as the staff lost my notes.

Struggling board stuck in all day,no vistors
1/5/17 open fracture and torn patela tendon fixed with two screws
10/6/17 ROM 75 walking with one crutch
17/6/17 transfered,fracture had reopened
25/7/17 walking with stick
9/8/17 ROM 90
11/8/17 start PT

Offline Brandon123

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 12
Re: Going mental
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2017, 04:28:54 PM »
Sorry to hear about your injury, I think you should ask somebody at the hospital to clearly outline your expected recovery process and timeline. I get the impression that you are frustrated by not knowing what is going on, or what is next.

A patella fracture is a serious injury that will take some time to recover from, so I think you must just accept that you will not be able to work (as normally) or do active outdoor hobbies for a while. Any indoor hobbies or interests that can keep you busy? TV-series, magazines, movies, reading, music, video games, etc.? 

Offline Limpit

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2017, 06:16:35 PM »
I have everyones telling me differnt stories my recovery times been from 3 weeks to 8 months.havent got a clue how long i only found out exactly what i did because the xray staff talked me through it.sure i should have PT or somthing.

But sadly other than watching dvds all day thats all iv got.this year ill have if im lucky 3 months wages to last the whole year.judt feel that im not getting any help to speed things up
9/8/17 ROM 90
11/8/17 start PT

Offline Vickster

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 260
  • Neelie knee!
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2017, 06:20:19 PM »
If you've torn the patella tendon, that's the more serious injury with very long and slow rehab. Find a physiotherapist who has experience with rehabbing these

What country are you in?

If in the U.K., find out what benefits you are entitled to in addition to stat sick pay
Came off bike onto concrete 9/9/09
LK arthroscopy 8/2/10
2nd scope on 16/12/10
LK New MRI shows lat & medial meniscus tear & other stuff
RK MRI lat meniscus tear
8/1/15 RK Steroid jab,
RK arthroscopy on 5/2/15
Lateral meniscus trim, excision of hoffa's fat pad, chondral stabilisation

Offline leezard

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 2
  • I'm no gimp, I'm transportationally dysfunctional!
    • SnapDragonz
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2017, 07:30:25 PM »
While I have a different injury so can't offer advice on that part.... what I CAN offer is that while yes, it's a long road and you'll have many frustrations, it DOES get better. Sometimes it means making a few changes in order to accommodate your healing knee, but compromises are so useful!!

The problem with care teams offering timelines is that people heal differently, and at different paces. It's difficult for them to offer sound advice if they don't have too much experience with this kind of injury, and also hard when they don't want to get your hopes up about progressing further than you're able to.

One of the things I wish I had thought of while I was down was to take up different courses. I'm not sure if you're a life long learner or not, but if you are, maybe consider that. It gives you a different goal that you can do from your computer, which helps you to find a bit of a different focus than the frustration you must be feeling.

If this is something that interests you, maybe check out edx.org. They're free courses, and there is quite a variety of them. One that I'm LOVING taking right now is "The Science of Happiness".

I hope you can find something that can take your mind off of your current situation. I know how frustrating it can be from going to active to not!! I spent so much time on Facebook (Farmville, of all things) and watching shows that I was also frustrated, bored and angry much of the time.I found ways to get out, eventually, and took up more hobbies that I could do lying down. It wasn't easy, but it helped!
Krystal

6/6/09 - TPF (fell)
6/7/09 - surgery: plate; 9 screws
6/9/09 - d/c from hospital w/immobilizer; NWB
6/15/09 - staples removed
7/6/09 - start on ROM
8/6/09 - 20lbs WB, start PT
8/30/09 - stuck @ 75 degrees; start weaning brace; up to 60lbs WB
9/28/09 - D/C from OS care; 92 AROM; 105 PROM

Offline Limpit

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2017, 08:26:30 PM »
Im from the uk,and self employed,can only claim esa that i know of.thanks for the advice folks have been learning alot about knees but seems like theres no guides to recovery times just wont to get back in the game 6 months is my entire working season,loosing my round thats took me 4 years to build up.benifits in the uk are a joke
9/8/17 ROM 90
11/8/17 start PT

Offline Brandon123

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2017, 09:57:13 AM »
I know, it really sucks when knee issues (or any health issues really) get in the way of work, career etc. But what can we do...except trying to accept that sometimes 's**t happens' and unfortunately this is part of life too, despite how much we hate it. At least that is what I try to tell myself when I am depressed over failed work/career things due to my knee problems :)

Offline leezard

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 2
  • I'm no gimp, I'm transportationally dysfunctional!
    • SnapDragonz
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2017, 06:46:37 PM »
I've had many, many days of lamenting the loss of "my old life"..... and I used to find myself jealous of those who were able to start running again.

I really did have to learn to look at the positives, which is hard. Oh, so hard. And makes new life choices based on the abilities that I DO have.... which are alot!! And that's something to remember. There's always a compromise, and even if you don't want to change what you're doing, sometimes it can actually work out  for the best.

Biggest hugs from Canada. Come here and vent!! I realize the forum isn't as active as it used to be, but it's still a great outlet for frustrations.
Krystal

6/6/09 - TPF (fell)
6/7/09 - surgery: plate; 9 screws
6/9/09 - d/c from hospital w/immobilizer; NWB
6/15/09 - staples removed
7/6/09 - start on ROM
8/6/09 - 20lbs WB, start PT
8/30/09 - stuck @ 75 degrees; start weaning brace; up to 60lbs WB
9/28/09 - D/C from OS care; 92 AROM; 105 PROM

Offline SuspectDevice

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 17
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2017, 10:16:56 PM »
Hang in there.

I know a bloke who busted his patella in half.  He went on to do Ironman Triathlons.

Take it easy now so it heals well and the wait will be worth it in the long run.
L Medial menisectomy May 2012
PFPS in both knees ever since
Pre-CRPS diagnosed 2014
Also looking into Dr Scott Dye's Tissue Homeostasis & Envelope of Function work
2017 - 80+% cured thanks to Dr Dye's research
2017 - first small triathlon in 5yrs
2017 - back to 30% of training volume - that'll do!

Offline Limpit

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2017, 11:53:12 PM »
Cheers for the support guys.went in today,aprently i should have been given phsyio,Booked in for some now but its tacked on 6 more weeks this whole year ill get 2 months work under my belt if im luckey.

Quads have wasted a hell of alot because of this there now the main problem,sick of the mess around surgeons a knob,3weeks turned to 2 months turned to 4n a half months before im brace weened,feels like some sort of torture.2morrow im through to the complaints deparment got a huge list,
everything from notes lost
 lack of after care had a near bladder rupture post op plus painkillers that where forced into my arm dispite my protests made a nice lump rather than been any use
to staff taking pictures of the wound on there mobile phones it really put me at ease been told was the worst theyve seen

.hopefully i can get a transfer out of that hell hole.and get put with doctors who give a dam n can shave a month off recovery
Not hopfull tho said it could take 3weeks to get me into physio,by which time will be 9weeks post op with no guidance

Iv healed really fast tho,shame its not been capitalised on tho.
9/8/17 ROM 90
11/8/17 start PT

Offline Limpit

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2017, 06:08:20 PM »
UPDATE,

Got transfered,fracture had opened up,reason they didnt wont me transfering i think

Got to have it all opened up and start the whole prosses again...7 weeks healing for nothing
9/8/17 ROM 90
11/8/17 start PT

Offline Brandon123

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2017, 07:02:57 PM »
Oh no, sorry to hear that...how come the fracture opened up?

Stay strong! You will be OK eventually even though the situation is really frustrating right now.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2017, 07:05:40 PM by Brandon123 »

AncaRoberts

« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2017, 10:32:05 PM »
I am sorry you will need to have the operation again. I too had to have it re done after 5 weeks because the two pieces of the bone separeted slightly and long term would have digged into the cartilage. 
Unfortunately it is a long haul to recover from patella fracture.
Probably is best to accept you won't be able to work this session and concentrate on recovery as rushing things would only set you back.

Offline Limpit

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2017, 02:15:01 PM »
Had the op,back on my back just when i was starting to peg leg it about,much better treatment this time and hopfully wont be back in again
9/8/17 ROM 90
11/8/17 start PT

Offline Knee129

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2017, 05:03:31 AM »
How are you feeling now? Any updates on your recovery? Hope you are doing okay and feeling better.

Advertisement