Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Has anybody had problems with 'overactive' quads?  (Read 647 times)

Offline Brandon123

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 14
Has anybody had problems with 'overactive' quads?
« on: May 27, 2017, 10:38:30 AM »
A common problem after surgery is that the quads no longer fire and activate as they should. I experienced this after a surgery some years ago, it took several months before the quads worked somewhat normal again.

However, in my recent struggle with the same knee (chondromalacia patellae developing into patellofemoral arthritis) I have the opposite problem. The quads are 'overactive' and basically fires and tighten up as soon that I stand up or even put minimal load on the knee. I can see that the quads in my healthier leg are not as 'nervous' and fires as easily.

I think the overactive and tight quads make it more more difficult for me to walk without a limp, increase the pain etc. My OS and PT say the easily firing and tightened up quads are a result of the pain in the knee joint, kind of a protection mechanism. But with swelling, pain etc. I thought quads usually are deactivated (like after surgery).

Anyways, just wondered if anybody struggled with overactive and tight quads (in contrast to inhibited quads) and found some ways to 'relax' the muscle and get it back to normal function?

support