Author Topic: MRI full thickness cartilage loss  (Read 500 times)

Offline ironhawk08

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 1
MRI full thickness cartilage loss
« on: May 26, 2017, 04:28:23 PM »
Can anyone she'd any light on to what this means/severity of the cartilage loss? I have no frame of reference as to what is a large amount. Thanks

"Medial meniscus: Complex tear involving horizontal longitudinal and radial components in the posterior horn. The body segment is highly attenuated, and there is 2 mm extrusion into medial gutter. Lateral meniscus: Anterior horn intact. Remaining meniscus not visualized
Cartilage: Patellofemoral: Full-thickness fissures at patella median ridge Medial: Full-thickness cartilage loss at the weightbearing surface of medial femoral condyle and central tibial plateau in areas measuring greater than 1.7 x 2.9 cm (series 6 image 10; series 4 image 20). Lateral: Not visualized Tibiofibular: Not visualized"

Offline Vickster

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 243
  • Neelie knee!
Re: MRI full thickness cartilage loss
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2017, 04:56:52 PM »
That is a pretty big area unfortunately, and with kissing defects especially (damage to opposite joint surfaces on femur and tibia), repair options are limited - offloading with a brace / osteotomy might be an option or some some of partial replacement.  All this will depend on how old you are, activity, work status etc, unfortunately, it's not very good sounding.  Patella also notoriously difficult to fix.  You'll need to consider a pretty conservative lifestyle I would think (no running, impact sports etc)

Your medial meniscus sounds shot too, so the arthritis is likely to progress further without intervention - with severe/extensive arthritis, meniscus transplant isn't really an option I believe

info on joint cartilage damage here http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEnotes/primers/joint-cartilage-osteoarthritis
levels of severity - full thincness = grade 4  http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEnotes/primers/joint-cartilage-osteoarthritis/how-knee-osteoarthritis-progresses

I should think you'll need a scope for your surgeon to assess the true state of the joint before going for more radical options

Good luck
« Last Edit: May 26, 2017, 05:15:12 PM by Vickster »
Came off bike onto concrete 9/9/09
LK arthroscopy 8/2/10
2nd scope on 16/12/10
LK New MRI shows lat & medial meniscus tear & other stuff
RK MRI lat meniscus tear
8/1/15 RK Steroid jab,
RK arthroscopy on 5/2/15
Lateral meniscus trim, excision of hoffa's fat pad, chondral stabilisation

Offline ironhawk08

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2017, 06:55:47 PM »
Thanks for the response Vickster.
 I am 26 yo infantry Marine. I've already had 3 ACLr and meniscus scopes on this knee and pretty certain ACL is torn again but MRI couldn't see due to the metal in my knee.
I did not think it sounded good but thanks for the info and links.

Offline Vickster

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Neelie knee!
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2017, 07:12:00 PM »
Oh dear, at 26. Do you have much pain the knee, swelling, or more instability from the ACL. Arthritis can be pretty bad on MRI but not too painful (I'm one of those I'd say at the moment at least)

You need to start looking after the knee, so find a couple of top notch knee surgeons and get their thoughts and perhaps a scope

Good luck
« Last Edit: May 26, 2017, 07:13:44 PM by Vickster »
LK arthroscopy 8/2/10
2nd scope on 16/12/10
RK MRI lat meniscus tear
8/1/15 RK Steroid jab,
RK arthroscopy on 5/2/15

Offline ironhawk08

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2017, 07:21:19 PM »
Yah the surgeons have been telling me to look after it for years!
It all really started to onset a month and half ago when I injured the knee. Lots of pain, been limping around since the injury waiting to see the Navy Suegeon. A couple more weeks until then.

Offline Vickster

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Neelie knee!
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2017, 07:35:24 PM »
Think you need to start listening to them, you don't want to be having a knee replacement in your 30s

All the best :)
LK arthroscopy 8/2/10
2nd scope on 16/12/10
RK MRI lat meniscus tear
8/1/15 RK Steroid jab,
RK arthroscopy on 5/2/15

Advertisement