Author Topic: No support system  (Read 573 times)

MissMiniscus

No support system
« on: May 23, 2017, 04:18:07 AM »
Hi all,

I am suffering from extreme anxiety, isolation and depression one month post surgery from mcl tear, patella fracture. I had a sizeable piece of my patella removed, and the ligament was reconstructed. A success, apart from the sharp edges of the remaining bone (my knee feels like a crumpled ball of tinfoil!). Immediately after my surgery my boyfriend broke up with me because I require more assistance than he is willing to provide. My parents suffer from mental illness and live in another city, they are demonstrating incapability of providing emotional support. In fact, the situation is causing many conflicts due to added stress. I have difficulty getting to physio, lawyers, doctors appointments, as well as daily activities. Weekends are challenging as none of my friends or extended family contact me, I feel I am attempting to recover entirely on my own, it's overwhelming.

I am trying my best to maintain composure and conjure a positive outlook, but managing 6-8 more months of this solitude feels more than I can handle. I know this is discussed elsewhere, but what do people actually do to resolve and overcome feeling alone, abandoned, isolated etc when moral support is limited? 

Offline Brandon123

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 11
Re: No support system
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2017, 04:26:08 PM »
Hi there,

Sorry to hear about your situation, recovering from surgery is difficult enough (mentally and physically) WITH a functioning support system! Are there any types of support groups or voluntary organizations in the city where you live that you can reach out to for help/support? Maybe you can do some googling and see if anything comes up? Even just talking to somebody might help you feel a little bit better.

« Last Edit: May 23, 2017, 04:30:18 PM by Brandon123 »

Offline kayeinsea

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2017, 06:24:17 PM »
In our area I found some good people just to text with through church sessions. Like, one was a divorce group, on was a financial class for women. I stay away from meetup (maybe thats just me) but if you use facebook, you can can down a rabbit hole into so many cool things happening. And when you meet them, just add them right then and there! When I broke up with an ex n 2012 i just went all in being where everyone was....even though I did not want to do it. Ended up making that year on of my best.

* My knee was not yet an issue, but I was super depressed. I stayed sitting. Everyone had to come to me!
Initial fall Oct'16 leg twisted backwards ,did splits No sign of knee injury.

cleared for PT(#1) in Dec '16. On 3rd visit, leg was twisted up and out. \ Knee popped, started swelling immediately, size of grapefruit. \ saw Ortho next day.

New PT snapped knecap back

Flared back up 10x worse May '17

Offline kayeinsea

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2017, 06:28:17 PM »
Also I FORGOT

Based on your income level - I JUST FOUND THIS OUT - Medicaid will pay for a car - A CAR! - to get you around town.

My parents aren't available issue due to problems with younger sis. My friends have their own problems.

Can your insurance provide physiatrics support? If there's another issues going on, send me a note. I know state programs and tricks to get them well.
Initial fall Oct'16 leg twisted backwards ,did splits No sign of knee injury.

cleared for PT(#1) in Dec '16. On 3rd visit, leg was twisted up and out. \ Knee popped, started swelling immediately, size of grapefruit. \ saw Ortho next day.

New PT snapped knecap back

Flared back up 10x worse May '17

Offline leezard

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 2
  • I'm no gimp, I'm transportationally dysfunctional!
    • SnapDragonz
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2017, 07:35:31 PM »
Having a strong support system is so important. Please, please reach out to your community in any way that you can. Friends should be understanding that you need to be social, and if they're good friends then they will be only too happy to help you recover! Don't feel bad for calling on them!

Switching things up with different people is also good. When my husband was doing everything here it was too much for him. He works an hour away, so me constantly relying on him was quite a lot. We reached out to friends and family and neighbours. We do not ask for help often, but we had to. Our relationship depended on it, and everyone we did reach out to came out whenever we needed it. But we had to ask - sometimes people just don't know what you need, or don't want to intrude. Be open with how you're doing!

Big hugs. I hope your recovery goes well.
Krystal

6/6/09 - TPF (fell)
6/7/09 - surgery: plate; 9 screws
6/9/09 - d/c from hospital w/immobilizer; NWB
6/15/09 - staples removed
7/6/09 - start on ROM
8/6/09 - 20lbs WB, start PT
8/30/09 - stuck @ 75 degrees; start weaning brace; up to 60lbs WB
9/28/09 - D/C from OS care; 92 AROM; 105 PROM

Offline dannyfornam

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2017, 06:28:26 AM »
I hope you have some support groups or communities near you for the comfort of immediate real life help. As for anything else, I'm sure people on here would have no problem helping and listening.

Advertisement