Author Topic: DX: Medial Meniscus Mild Grade 1 Degenerative - maybe torn?  (Read 123 times)

Offline kayeinsea

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 0
So I finally dragged a friend (for a witness and support) to another ER on Tuesday night. I got an MRI at midnight because because it did NOT seem to be accute....that DR says they usually dont do MRI in ER because there's too much swelling. It was also the ONLY test not done yet, and I was bawling i was in so much pain.

I got the full read out yesterday. The major issue my Medial Meniscus (where 90% of pain is at) is Grade 1 Degenerative and they aren't sure if there's a tear. ALSO lots of edema between knee and skin ALL the way down to ankles. Ankle does hurt, back of thigh hurts. I am super swollen all over.

I fired my PCP for being dismissive and dx'ing wrong, so I went to same hospital just a few miles away and in hindsight found out he's an ortho (waiting on him to be not busy to tell clinic manager when he wants to see me next). Read he reports and instantly said i need shots of steroids. Was hesitant to say use the immobilizer but wanted me off the leg. (An immobilizer is tricky because I'm really short and they are a little too long for comfort.)

He said surgery is likely, especialy if these shots don't help 100%.

So, what's going on with me? I'm only 32. Degenerative without a cause implies over use. I had that severe  and under treated knee injury about 6 months ago. He was against surgery 100%. Hard to believe its NOT related but these are all different symptoms.

I just think I did something again and 32 is quite old. I don't run, do sports, anything. Walking to starbucks is a good day.

Just trying to feel out whats reality and what I'm not being told.
Initial fall Oct'16 leg twisted backwards ,did splits No sign of knee injury.

cleared for PT(#1) in Dec '16. On 3rd visit, leg was twisted up and out. \ Knee popped, started swelling immediately, size of grapefruit. \ saw Ortho next day.

New PT snapped knecap back

Flared back up 10x worse May '17

Offline Vickster

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 239
  • Neelie knee!
Re: DX: Medial Meniscus Mild Grade 1 Degenerative - maybe torn?
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2017, 07:47:20 AM »
Meniscus starts to degenerate from about age 30, so could be, although grade 1 sounds mild considering the amount of pain and swelling (do you have any inflammatory condition, hence the anti inflammatory and pain medicatiom you take from your other post?). Are you, or ever been overweight? This can also impact the knee. I tore my meniscus at 37, needed surgery and it was clearly degenerate, seemingly worse now at 44.

Steroid won't heal meniscus but could help the inflammmation. Also can be bad for articulating cartilage so avoid having more than one if you can

MRI isn't infallible and meniscus tears can be easily missed. If the pain is extreme and the knee mechanics, bending and straightening, are affected, surgery might be needed. Try physiotherapy first however

Good luck
Came off bike onto concrete 9/9/09
LK arthroscopy 8/2/10
2nd scope on 16/12/10
LK New MRI shows lat & medial meniscus tear & other stuff
RK MRI lat meniscus tear
8/1/15 RK Steroid jab,
RK arthroscopy on 5/2/15
Lateral meniscus trim, excision of hoffa's fat pad, chondral stabilisation

Offline kayeinsea

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Re: DX: Medial Meniscus Mild Grade 1 Degenerative - maybe torn?
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2017, 08:42:35 AM »
Meniscus starts to degenerate from about age 30, so could be, although grade 1 sounds mild considering the amount of pain and swelling (do you have any inflammatory condition, hence the anti inflammatory and pain medicatiom you take from your other post?). Are you, or ever been overweight? This can also impact the knee. I tore my meniscus at 37, needed surgery and it was clearly degenerate, seemingly worse now at 44.

Steroid won't heal meniscus but could help the inflammmation. Also can be bad for articulating cartilage so avoid having more than one if you can

MRI isn't infallible and meniscus tears can be easily missed. If the pain is extreme and the knee mechanics, bending and straightening, are affected, surgery might be needed. Try physiotherapy first however

Good luck

The AntiInflammatory I was already one was started about a week ago by the walkin when the knee was VERY swollen, but not yet this painful. But now I'm swollen (as if it was diabetic, but not, I have hypoglycemia)all the way from groin to ankle.)

I'm on Tramadol for Fibromyalgia. That said, nothing is hurting right now, I'm trying to cut back the Tramadol at the moment to get a clear assesment of pain. Takes a few days to clear my normal dose.

I am a little overweight, by medical standards. A size 6. Just a big butt and big boobs at 5'1" age 32. I consider myself healthy, I typically eat well. Weight hasn't varied in a few years.

This is the third steroid shot since January (different doctor). I tried walking without support tonight and wanted to die.

Also - Therapists won't work with me until I'm more medically stable. The one I went to yesterday said she's not comfortable worth with me based on the condition of the knee and amount of swelling.

I am getting on the Ortho's schedule....we'll get the time booked tomorrow. I'm icing, etc like it's my job. I just don't think that will fix this. And I'm scared.
Initial fall Oct'16 leg twisted backwards ,did splits No sign of knee injury.

cleared for PT(#1) in Dec '16. On 3rd visit, leg was twisted up and out. \ Knee popped, started swelling immediately, size of grapefruit. \ saw Ortho next day.

New PT snapped knecap back

Flared back up 10x worse May '17

Advertisement