Author Topic: Tear of ACL Reconstruction with few symptoms - MRI report  (Read 227 times)

Offline artimuspryme

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Tear of ACL Reconstruction with few symptoms - MRI report
« on: May 18, 2017, 08:55:08 PM »
Just over a week ago my left knee gave way when I planted to kick a ball during a soccer game. I immediately stopped playing and iced it because I had ACL reconstruction (hamstring) 18 months ago. I had very mild pain and only a little swelling. After a couple days I was walking normally, and one week later I could easily jog up and down the stairs in my house.

I got an MRI anyway (mild swelling lingering) to find out if I did some damage to my knee, and I just got the report. Under IMPRESSION it says:
1. Tear of the ACL reconstruction with associated bone contusions, and favored as a complete or functionally complete tear.
2. Findings suggestive of partial medial meniscectomy without tear.
3. Bulbous morphology or blistering with increased signal intensity at the medial patellar facet (chondromalacia patella).
4. Mild joint effusion.

I can't get in to see my surgeon for another week or so because of his busy surgery schedule, but it sounds like I tore my ACL graft and maybe did some other damage. Has anyone else lived through this and/or know what this means with regard to what kind of approach will be taken for fixing my ACL this time?

I assume they wouldn't take hamstring again. I've seen some people say they used patellar tendon the second time, but would you choose that over cadaver tissue? I don't want to end up with patellar tendonitis issues, which I've read are increasingly common post-surgically when patellar tendon is used.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2017, 09:02:23 PM by artimuspryme, Reason: clarification »

Offline diesiel

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 2
Re: Tear of ACL Reconstruction with few symptoms - MRI report
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2017, 12:36:45 AM »
seems unlikely that you fully tore it due to the lack of symptoms.  Does the knee feel looser, especially rotationally?

Advertisement