Author Topic: One Week Post Op- ACL Reconstruction w/ Cadaver & Meniscus Repair  (Read 64 times)

Offline venus1023

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Six years ago I injured my knee but thought nothing of it because I always fall or do stupid things. It hurt that day and throughout the years it would buckle. This January 2017, I thought "I should get my knee checked" but I had a big issue with medical insurance and had to wait. In March, I reinjured. I got up and kept going. But a few days later I kneeled down and my knee locked. It would not straighten. Just in time because my insurance was due to start on April 1st. Prior to April 1st, I visited with an Orthopedic Surgeon, paid for XRay's and an MRI.

The MRI results were: you no longer have an ACL and because you don't have an ACL, you tore and flipped your Meniscus.

Surgery...

Bump in the road: I need Pre- Op clearances from Neuro, Cardio and Primary Care

Took so long that even with a knee brace I still caused damage to the Meniscus.

Surgery was scheduled for Saturday, May 6th. Surgery went well but my surgeon was due to depart on a trip on May 7th so he scheduled five surgeries that day. I don't know exactly what was done to my Meniscus but I do know that it's a gamble.

In the beginning, I was scared to take the pain medication because I don't want to get addicted so I took one pill every four hours. Lots of pain, no sleep, no appetite.

After the second day I did the two pills every four hours and the healing began, I started sleeping. As the days have gone by, I cut down on the pain medication.

I have been following the rules with the ice and elevation so the pain has lessened BUT the swelling has gone down so much that the full extension brace is now too big. All day today, May 16th, I have been in pain. I sat down a few times with my leg hanging because I thought that was okay. I didn't put any weight on it. With the brace rubbing on me, I have a huge black and blue with a knot on my lower thigh by the top buckle of the brace. The top buckle of the brace is also near where my ACL stitch is and it hurts so bad, my knee is stiff and I don't know if that's normal. I have it elevated bug if won't straighten and I fear that it's messed up just from me sitting and this brace. I actually had to put an ankle sock under the buckle so that it doesn't continue to cut into me.

I see the PA tomorrow for stitch removal and hope they give me a small brace.

But is this normal? I am so scared. My leg is elevated but hurts to straighten, I can't remember if it was like that before.  It I know it hasn't hurt me since the gutsy couple of days. Now it's unbearable again

Offline slightfield

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Hello!

I am so sorry to hear that you are in such pain. I too had some pain if my brace was too tight, also if it was too loose as then it would slide down my leg pulling everything along the way with it. You might benefit from adjusting the brace until you get it to that "sweet spot". This might only be temporary relief as it was for me, but at least its something.

Also, ankle pumps and quad sets were my best friend during the first two weeks post op.

I hope you start feeling better soon! Keep positive and know that it is TEMPORARY.

Advertisement