Author Topic: Recent scar tissue diagnosis - any advice?  (Read 157 times)

Offline spannerwingnut

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Recent scar tissue diagnosis - any advice?
« on: May 11, 2017, 03:50:52 PM »
Hello,
I have been diagnosed this week with "scar tissue & adhesions" in my left knee, following a ski injury in Jan, where i suffered a grade 2 tear to both my MCL & MPFL.
I had an MRI three weeks after the accident in the UK and it was clear for cartilage damage, has been double checked by a private specalist and the conclusion is scar tissue limiting my extension. I am stuck at 28 degrees. But can flex to 110.
I am not able to work (my job is physical, and they have said i am a health and safety risk while i cannot walk properly) so i have been signed off since February, getting a bit frustrated. I am now on the waiting list for Arthoscopy & manual manipulation hopefully in around 7 weeks.
Does anyone have any advice on dealing with this? I wasn't able to get on a bike until my ligaments had healed, which they now have. So we have borrowed a stationary bike to have at home, which i will use on-top of my exercises and swimming.
Any advice would be great, this injury seems to be never ending and i haven't even had surgery, the scar tissue must have developed in the weeks waiting for the MRI, and my physio hasn't helped with my extension so far (almost 15 weeks, 112 days today)
Any advice would be great!
« Last Edit: May 15, 2017, 07:43:35 PM by spannerwingnut »
Grade II Sprain of MCL & MPFL & bone bruising
Ski accident 30th Jan 2017. Xray of knee in Austria.
19th Feb - MRI done in UK
26th Feb - 1st Physio appointment, 16th March 2nd physio
24th March 2017 - Saw orthopaedic surgeon for consulation regarding continuing very limited ROM.

Offline Vickster

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 228
  • Neelie knee!
Re: Recent scar tissue diagnosis - any advice?
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2017, 03:56:02 PM »
Can you get / pay for some hydrotherapy, you might find doing the exercises in much warmer water with an expert useful, in addition to 'land' physio :)

After the surgery, make sure you get in asap with a physio, several times a week if possible.  I developed thickening of the tissue in my shoulder after the first surgery and had to go back under the knife.  I was in physio 3 days later, which happened to be Christmas eve!  Make sure you discuss the post op protocol with surgeon and physio before the op

Good luck :)
« Last Edit: May 11, 2017, 04:03:20 PM by Vickster »
Came off bike onto concrete 9/9/09
LK arthroscopy 8/2/10
2nd scope on 16/12/10
LK New MRI shows lat & medial meniscus tear & other stuff
RK MRI lat meniscus tear
8/1/15 RK Steroid jab,
RK arthroscopy on 5/2/15
Lateral meniscus trim, excision of hoffa's fat pad, chondral stabilisation

Offline Bronwen

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2017, 10:23:52 PM »
Arthroscopy and manipulation under anaesthetic got my leg back to full range of motion. Until then I'd been stuck on crutches, off work and not driving for three months. The hospital kept me in overnight on a passive motion machine. I found a little foot pedal cycling type machine useful at home - the sort aimed at older people. I started with my chair further away from it and gradually moved it closer. I was cleared to swim after about a month. Am now on waiting list for ACL reconstruction unless I can strengthen it enough through Physio. It truly is the injury that keeps on giving..! :)

Offline spannerwingnut

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2017, 01:10:28 PM »
Hi Bronwen,
Its a relief to hear the procedure worked for you! That gives me some hope. I hope the rest of your journey goes well, crazy isn't it how long everything takes. I am starting to realise i will likely have to change career and find a desk job. 4 months and counting!
Grade II Sprain of MCL & MPFL & bone bruising
Ski accident 30th Jan 2017. Xray of knee in Austria.
19th Feb - MRI done in UK
26th Feb - 1st Physio appointment, 16th March 2nd physio
24th March 2017 - Saw orthopaedic surgeon for consulation regarding continuing very limited ROM.

Offline Clarkey

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 37
  • Never put 100% trust into a negative MRI scan!
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2017, 10:56:53 AM »
I am 10 years older then you aged 38 going through a similar scenario to what you are going through thanks to scar tissue in my right knee. I can longer take part in physical activities as I cannot run since January 2013. Just been offered a job supporting autistic kids as a playworker and have been told my knee injury could be a safety concern for the autistic organisation.

It is also having a negative impact on you job, without sounding too personal counselling sessions can be really helpful. I am lucky having a sister that works in orthopaedics as a nurse, she is great listener giving good advise. She works in the pre-op clinic so knows how to deal with patients that are about to go ahead with surgery. If you know someone you can trust to talk over how you are feeling is a big stress release that saves you paying out for professional counselling sessions if you wanted them.

Keeping your mind active also helps greatly, while I have been out of employment volunteering for local charities in my region led to me hopefully getting a job supporting young people with autism. If you have the whole day with nothing much to do then you are going to think negatively worrying about your knee. Hope you can get it sorted out soon so you can return to work again, good luck please give updates how you are progressing.

[email protected]
RK: PFS, Maltracking & arthrofibrosis
18/07/14 Anterior interval release  
16/11/09 Medial plica excision & fat pad trim
Cortisone injections: R-hip 04/04/17 R-knee 23/12/15, 22/10/15, 13/05/15, 30/03/10, 23/04/09

Advertisement