Author Topic: 12 year old been Diagnosed with EDS & Trochlear Dysplasia & Patella Alta  (Read 422 times)

Offline Bomber_h

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Hi Guys, new to the forum, stumbled across this excellent forum whilst searching for help with my son's condition.

Last August (2016) my son then 11, was swimming on holiday and felt excruciating pain to the side and behind the knee, cut a long story short, when we got back from holiday and saw a doctor they believed he had discloated it but it popped back in to place. He then struggled to do sports for next few months, and then before Christmas last year, started experiencing pain in lots of joints (mainly fingers, wrists, hips, knees and ankles) and this went on for a couple of months with doctors initially saying growing pains etc, until we couldnt put up with it any more (not sleeping, in constant agony) and was able to see a Rhuematologist who confirmed EDS after initial checks for Juvenile Idiopathic Arthiritis,  He has been much better since physio and seems to be managing pain a lot better but not able to do sports.

Then in March this year (2017) he appeared to dislocate his knee again, we had X-Ray that day but nothing came back, but Rhuematologist ordered an MRI, the results has just come back now, it states "Anatomical abnormalities in the knee including trochlear dysplasia & patella alta. In addition some focal bony odema alongside the inferior pole of the patellar.  It then states that he also has a non-displaced lower pole patella fracture. It suggest urgent referral to Orthopaedic Surgeon.

I am trying to get hold of the Rhuematologist & Surgeon but i wondered if anybody else on here as experienced any of the above issues, whilst also having EDS/HMS and what happened please?

Many thanks

Advertisement