Author Topic: Having hardware removed at 4 months?  (Read 1069 times)

Offline Mxline167

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Having hardware removed at 4 months?
« on: April 21, 2017, 01:54:58 AM »
Wondering if anyone has had their hardware removed this early? Had 2 pins and figure 8 wire on 1/18/17. PT has been going good, ROM at 130. Doctor said bone is healing good. Doc asked if I want hardware out on 5/10/17 which will be 4 months. Wondering if it's worth it to do it now since I'm already off work? Any suggestions would be helpful. Thank you.

AncaRoberts

Re: Having hardware removed at 4 months?
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2017, 09:18:39 AM »
On my hospital notes it says in between 3-6months for harwear to be removed.
I think it depends of your age. If you are in your 40s or  older is best to wait 12 months for the hardware to be removed.

Offline mjeffrey

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 49
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2017, 05:06:09 AM »
I had mine removed at 6 months and would have done it earlier if possible (53 years). It depends very much on the doctor and how well the fracture has consolidated, some won't do it for a year.
But at this early stage the fracture won't be as strong as the original so you should be very careful for the next few months. Avoid situations where you risk tripping or falling.
2014:
20 Feb: Comminuted patella fracture, 4 K-wires, Cercalge, Figure of 8
11 Mar: Staples removed Flex 50
22 Apr: Control Xray, flex 80, progress stalled
09 May: MUA: flex 120, 3 weeks CPM
23 Jun: Slow Running, Flex 135
06 Jul: Flex 140
08 Aug: Hardware removed
10 Sep: full flexion

Offline Teacheramy71

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2017, 06:33:33 PM »
My surgeon told my Friday that he used sutures instead of wire, so no removal.  I'm surprised more surgeons aren't using sutures??  I had complications from the surgery, so I was so relieved not to have another one.

Offline mjeffrey

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 49
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2017, 09:14:26 PM »
Not all types of fractures can be repaired with suture and  they may still break and need to be removed. Complications are lower but not non existent.
2014:
20 Feb: Comminuted patella fracture, 4 K-wires, Cercalge, Figure of 8
11 Mar: Staples removed Flex 50
22 Apr: Control Xray, flex 80, progress stalled
09 May: MUA: flex 120, 3 weeks CPM
23 Jun: Slow Running, Flex 135
06 Jul: Flex 140
08 Aug: Hardware removed
10 Sep: full flexion

Offline Teacheramy71

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2017, 04:51:09 PM »
Interesting.  He said he has a 95% success rate and has only needed to remove two.  My displacement was 3mm.  Why don't more orthos use this technique?  He said it's been around 10 years.  He's a 30 something ortho.

Offline Teacheramy71

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2017, 04:57:33 PM »
I'm just curious as most people would jump at the change for less complications.  My ortho specializes in knee fractures.  Had I gone with the HMO doctor he would have used wire.  I'm 20K in credit card debt for the suture doc, as he's PPO. 

AncaRoberts

« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2017, 09:10:26 PM »
Does anyone know if the pain from one of my pin on top of the knee will go away when the swelling goes down?
I'm almost 5 weeks post op and this pin feels like is going to pierce my skin when I bend my leg.
My appointment is on Monday but I am wondering what will they do?

Offline AnnSeyler

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2017, 08:27:27 PM »
When my knee swells it seems to swell in the back and then it pushes my pins forward.  That causes pain where my pins are. .when I ice it I but a ice wrap behind my knee and that helps. Swelling goes down ..pins don't seem to rub or hurt .  My knee starts to feel full and then the swelling takes over.

AncaRoberts

« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2017, 04:12:53 PM »
Hi Mxline, how did the operation went and how the knee feels?
I will also have to have my hardwear removed after just 3 months providing my fracture has healed.
The pins are sticking out so badly I can't bend my knee.
the only time it doesn't hurt is when I walk. Atm I am 8 weeks  post operation. 

Offline Mxline167

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2017, 11:04:40 PM »
Hey AncaRoberts, the operation went great. I am so happy I had it done and did not wait because my knee feels 100 times better.. any pain I had was because of the hardware. And the surgery was so much easier and barely any pain.. I finally feel like I'm seeing the light at the end of the tunnel!! Good luck with your surgery!!

Offline AnnSeyler

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2017, 01:40:59 PM »
That is encouraging .. Glad to hear such good results.  I asked my doctor about pin removal and he said to wait a little longer.( I am 5 months out).   I had numerous pieces of bone that he wants to make sure are very stable.  (I have wires and cerclage). I  have bumped my knee a few times on a table leg and wow.. painful !!!.  My bending is at 110.. and just cant get any further. I don't have much just stiffness and sometimes swelling. 

AncaRoberts

« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2017, 08:56:27 AM »
That's great-thanks for updating.
I would also be about 4 months when they will remove the hardwear as I need to improve my rom before.
Currently almost 11 weeks post op and able to bend my knee to 90.
I am seeing them in 3 weeks so hopefully I'll improve my bend.
Once again thanks for updating.

Advertisement

support