Author Topic: A new injectable viscoelastic gel for long term relief + scaffold for repair  (Read 556 times)

Offline ankle_boneonbone

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 0
I just returned from one of the best sports doctors in Israel with whom I consulted regarding Lipogems.

He had told me that there is a novel system for creating a reinforced form of hyaluronic acid with a combination of fibrin created from my own blood, and PRP, which is natural, and biodegradable, and sticks to where the cartilage is missing thus filling the defects \ voids. Then it hardens providing a more durable protection for the joint, as well as acting as a scaffold for tissue regeneration.

I am planning to speak to the professor who invented this, but so far there had been dozens treated successfully for over 2 years with no side effects and significant improvements.

As we are all aware the most successful attempts of recreating cartilage world wide have been a combination of some clot \ scaffold, and stem cells. This has been true for Dr.Saw and Dr. Broyles, as well as researches across Europe who have invented similar techniques for filling defects, but based those on fibrin glue and not Microfracture.

The hope of course for me, is that combining this injection with stem cells simultaneously, or thereafter, would make the gel act as a scaffold for a more serious cartilage repair, without any surgery necessary. The doctor told me he is looking into combining this treatment with stem cells, and that they would have to try this in the lab first for safety reasons.

I intend to ask the Prof:
1. What happens if the Gel creates a clot elsewhere in the wrong part of the joint?
2. How long will it take the Gel to wear off and decompose, an estimate?
3. Are they confident that the Gel will allow entry of stem and other cells in the future to support regeneration? How does it look under the microscope, and how easily do materials diffuse into it?

If you have good questions, I will of course try and answer them when speaking to him.

NOTE: I am not affiliated with this company or work with them in any way, I am looking into to receiving this treatment and I want to start a discussion so I can enjoy the experience of other members here.

This is http://www.procore-bio.com/regenogel/ the company website.

And this is the description:
The Gel combines high molecular weight hyaluronic acid (HA) with the patient?s own plasma. The combined viscoelastic properties of hyaluronic acid with the growth promoting activity of soluble and platelets-associated factors and the regenerative, wound healing properties of plasma fibrinogen yield a fully autologous and regenerative viscosupplement. The unique, proprietary linkage of these natural products provides the basis for a long-lasting and rich microenvironment that supports a physiological regenerative process.

Advantages:

Simplicity: delivered as a single and simple injection. Repeated injections may be given if required.
Efficacy: significantly reduces joint pain and provides long term protection against continued degradation.
Uniqueness: provides a unique mode of action that combines shock absorption, dissipating loads off the affected area across the joint, with a regenerative environment that enables physiological recovery of the tissue.
Stability: extraordinarily stable thanks to its gel characteristics and thus displays a long-lasting effect.
Biocompatibility: based on native matrix associated biopolymers compatible with cell and tissue homeostasis.
Safety: consists exclusively of natural components and is free of foreign chemical or synthetic entities.
has been approved as a Medical Device by the Israeli Ministry of Health in February 2016 and launched in Israel in July 2016. The treatment has been successfully implemented in several prominent medical centers with an unprecedented response. No adverse effects, neither local nor systemic, were reported by patients treated with the product.  The data obtained both from clinical trials and post marketing evaluation indicate high success rate with significantly sustained pain relief and improved quality of life within days following the treatment.

Offline psny

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 10
I just returned from one of the best sports doctors in Israel with whom I consulted regarding Lipogems.

He had told me that there is a novel system for creating a reinforced form of hyaluronic acid with a combination of fibrin created from my own blood, and PRP, which is natural, and biodegradable, and sticks to where the cartilage is missing thus filling the defects \ voids. Then it hardens providing a more durable protection for the joint, as well as acting as a scaffold for tissue regeneration.

I am planning to speak to the professor who invented this, but so far there had been dozens treated successfully for over 2 years with no side effects and significant improvements.

As we are all aware the most successful attempts of recreating cartilage world wide have been a combination of some clot \ scaffold, and stem cells. This has been true for Dr.Saw and Dr. Broyles, as well as researches across Europe who have invented similar techniques for filling defects, but based those on fibrin glue and not Microfracture.

The hope of course for me, is that combining this injection with stem cells simultaneously, or thereafter, would make the gel act as a scaffold for a more serious cartilage repair, without any surgery necessary. The doctor told me he is looking into combining this treatment with stem cells, and that they would have to try this in the lab first for safety reasons.

I intend to ask the Prof:
1. What happens if the Gel creates a clot elsewhere in the wrong part of the joint?
2. How long will it take the Gel to wear off and decompose, an estimate?
3. Are they confident that the Gel will allow entry of stem and other cells in the future to support regeneration? How does it look under the microscope, and how easily do materials diffuse into it?

If you have good questions, I will of course try and answer them when speaking to him.

NOTE: I am not affiliated with this company or work with them in any way, I am looking into to receiving this treatment and I want to start a discussion so I can enjoy the experience of other members here.

This is http://www.procore-bio.com/regenogel/ the company website.

And this is the description:
The Gel combines high molecular weight hyaluronic acid (HA) with the patient?s own plasma. The combined viscoelastic properties of hyaluronic acid with the growth promoting activity of soluble and platelets-associated factors and the regenerative, wound healing properties of plasma fibrinogen yield a fully autologous and regenerative viscosupplement. The unique, proprietary linkage of these natural products provides the basis for a long-lasting and rich microenvironment that supports a physiological regenerative process.

Advantages:

Simplicity: delivered as a single and simple injection. Repeated injections may be given if required.
Efficacy: significantly reduces joint pain and provides long term protection against continued degradation.
Uniqueness: provides a unique mode of action that combines shock absorption, dissipating loads off the affected area across the joint, with a regenerative environment that enables physiological recovery of the tissue.
Stability: extraordinarily stable thanks to its gel characteristics and thus displays a long-lasting effect.
Biocompatibility: based on native matrix associated biopolymers compatible with cell and tissue homeostasis.
Safety: consists exclusively of natural components and is free of foreign chemical or synthetic entities.
has been approved as a Medical Device by the Israeli Ministry of Health in February 2016 and launched in Israel in July 2016. The treatment has been successfully implemented in several prominent medical centers with an unprecedented response. No adverse effects, neither local nor systemic, were reported by patients treated with the product.  The data obtained both from clinical trials and post marketing evaluation indicate high success rate with significantly sustained pain relief and improved quality of life within days following the treatment.

This is really cool, so there is no surgery? This is just injected into the joint? is it only available for joint injection or can it be injected into other tissues? Also, it is not by default combined with SVF / Lipogems / BMAC, the doctors you spoke to is willing to do this?

Offline ankle_boneonbone

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
The results from the gel alone are so good in lubricating, protecting the joint, and creating a positive environment as its mixed with PRP, that the doctors never found the need to mix with stem cells.

Now that they are starting to treat more severe cases such as mine, they are considering it, but it first must be tested on animals to see that no negative side effects are taking place.

I am personally fantasizing about this fibrin clot with PRP + Stem cells mixed into it, it sounds like the perfect solution for all cartilage problems.

Offline psny

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 10
The results from the gel alone are so good in lubricating, protecting the joint, and creating a positive environment as its mixed with PRP, that the doctors never found the need to mix with stem cells.

Now that they are starting to treat more severe cases such as mine, they are considering it, but it first must be tested on animals to see that no negative side effects are taking place.

I am personally fantasizing about this fibrin clot with PRP + Stem cells mixed into it, it sounds like the perfect solution for all cartilage problems.

It does, but recovery would likely need to be non-weight bearing to prevent disrupting the scaffold. I wonder if this would also work well for tendon injuries.

Offline Brandon123

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 9
Thanks for the info, sounds really interesting!

Has there been any clinical trials/published research studies on this?

Offline ankle_boneonbone

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
I will be in contact with the professor and if there are study \ trial results available I will post here.

Offline 38705

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
I will be in contact with the professor and if there are study \ trial results available I will post here.

Im guessing no trials were performed?

Advertisement

support