Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: New/old forum participant trying to find resources regarding PFPS  (Read 4107 times)

Offline prasky

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Re: New/old forum participant trying to find resources regarding PFPS
« Reply #60 on: August 03, 2017, 07:50:03 AM »
Hi Suspect device,

I've read some of your posts, also the books - Richard's and Paul's.  I wonder about celebrex as it is good for my pain too. But how exactly did it help you apart from killing the pain? I mean, did you feel better so you could have pushed it more and develop muscles? Or is this a cure perhaps, not just a painkiller? Or maybe your body did not have to fight with the pain so it could be more relaxed, less tensed? Because other approach to this is that the pain is kind of a guide of what you should be doing.

Other questions. When about you could start walking on stairs normally and sit normally with knees bent 90 degrees?

the last one :) Can you please tell how to build muscles on thighs without bending your knees? I read about kettlebell swing but do they really help or it is just for upper body?

It's great to read yours and other happy ending stories. Gives a lot of hope.

Many thanks
2 ACL Patella graft reconstruction, each knee
CP/PFPS since November 2016

Offline Brandon123

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 14
« Reply #61 on: August 04, 2017, 08:38:26 AM »
Update on my "Richard Bedard type of experiment": After 4 weeks of mainly indoor low load activity I can conclude that I do not see any meaningful difference. Only positive thing is that I have managed to avoid the peaks of pain and stiffness I usually get from walking too much. But no difference in baseline pain/stiffness. And as soon as I try to walk/put load on the knee, it is as bad as ever.

Offline reflex_nl

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 4
« Reply #62 on: August 04, 2017, 08:42:07 AM »
Sad to hear Brandon, knee pain really sucks. I can now also correlatebpain with activity better...  Haven't foun any solution yet, all my 4 OS have diggerent opinions...
RK Patella Luxation in 2000
RK Scope grade 2 damage to patella
RK PT for 4 mths, recovered 90% after 4 years
LK Patella Luxation in Oct'16
LK Scope grade 4 damage to patella Nov'16
LK PT ongoing... in a lot of pain...

Offline Brandon123

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #63 on: August 07, 2017, 03:13:20 PM »
Yep, it sucks...but good at least that you can correlate the pain better with (certain?) activities? Can you climb stairs? That is my worst, basically impossible nowadays.

Offline cspike2

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #64 on: August 07, 2017, 07:42:17 PM »
Stairs are about the only "exercise" I can do every once in a while.  I hate riding the elevator, makes me feel pathetic.  That sucks your knees are giving you such a hard time right now Brandon123.  I go through days when I just want to get my patellas replaced.  I hate seeing the world around me running and riding.  I'm really noticing the 30 years of muscle tone I had start to disappear, and it's not making me happy.

Offline Brandon123

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #65 on: August 07, 2017, 09:19:32 PM »
I hate riding the elevator, makes me feel pathetic...I hate seeing the world around me running and riding. 

I'll second both those statements :)

Offline SuspectDevice

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 17
« Reply #66 on: August 08, 2017, 01:41:00 AM »
Hi Suspect device,

I've read some of your posts, also the books - Richard's and Paul's.  I wonder about celebrex as it is good for my pain too. But how exactly did it help you apart from killing the pain? I mean, did you feel better so you could have pushed it more and develop muscles? Or is this a cure perhaps, not just a painkiller? Or maybe your body did not have to fight with the pain so it could be more relaxed, less tensed? Because other approach to this is that the pain is kind of a guide of what you should be doing.

Other question. When about you could start walking on stairs normally and sit normally with knees bent 90 degrees?

It's great to read yours and other happy ending stories. Gives a lot of hope.

Many thanks

I think Celebrex killed the chronic inflammation, which then allowed my knees to return to something like homeostasis.  Losing the lnflammation also probably helped stop/slow further cartilage degeneration on the back of my kneecaps - though it is still there, and I can feel it often after more vigorous activity, but nowhere near as bad as when the chronic (synovial?) inflammation is also present.

I never stopped doing stairs entirely, but avoided them as much as possible.  After about 4-5mths on Celebrex things got closer to normal & I'd find myself sitting with bent knees without knowing.  I'm still a bit suss on stairs, going down in particular.

I hate riding the elevator, makes me feel pathetic...I hate seeing the world around me running and riding. 

I know how that feels, but you can improve if you can kill the chronic inflammation.  4 weeks on Richard's experiment is probably no where near enough. Without Celebrex or the like, it took him over 12mths, and I recall in his first 4mths he got nowhere.  He was a very patient man to do it without anti-inflams.  I could not achieve that.
L Medial menisectomy May 2012
PFPS in both knees ever since
Pre-CRPS diagnosed 2014
Also looking into Dr Scott Dye's Tissue Homeostasis & Envelope of Function work
2017 - 80+% cured thanks to Dr Dye's research
2017 - first small triathlon in 5yrs
2017 - back to 30% of training volume - that'll do!

Offline reflex_nl

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 4
« Reply #67 on: August 09, 2017, 07:18:33 PM »
Yep, it sucks...but good at least that you can correlate the pain better with (certain?) activities? Can you climb stairs? That is my worst, basically impossible nowadays.

up is ok, but down is killing me...  I can do a few each day, but it always hurts.
RK Patella Luxation in 2000
RK Scope grade 2 damage to patella
RK PT for 4 mths, recovered 90% after 4 years
LK Patella Luxation in Oct'16
LK Scope grade 4 damage to patella Nov'16
LK PT ongoing... in a lot of pain...

Offline cspike2

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #68 on: August 14, 2017, 07:15:01 PM »
I'm wondering if I shouldn't get back on the anti-inflams?  I think I only took them for a month and change.  I don't feel like my knee has any inflammation, but if it could help it heal faster that would be nice.
I'm ok sitting with bent knees, I forget about it all the time.  When I catch myself I will try to straighten them.  I have also been really good at using my standing desk at work, and only sitting during meetings and lunch.  My knees feel good now a days, but damn I'm itching to exercise.  I miss swimming, but I haven't been able to get my shoulder pain under control yet.  Going to try again soon.  I've just been trying to walk lately, during my lunch break or at home as my boys ride their bikes.  I will do stairs periodically throughout the day, but I try to avoid down more than up. 

I noticed something on my left knee the other day.  On my left leg, looking at my knee, I have a bruised area just below the patella towards the inside of my leg.  It seems to be located right about the inner head of the tibia.  As far as I can remember it's been there quite a while.  It doesn't hurt to the touch or in general, but it is a little puffy and there is clearly pooled blood.  I don't go back to Dr. Dye for a few months yet, but I may need to as I can't quite figure out what this is and if it is related to my knee issues in any way. 

Offline Geronimo

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 3
« Reply #69 on: August 16, 2017, 06:26:20 PM »

up is ok, but down is killing me...  I can do a few each day, but it always hurts.

try extending your toe first and stepping on it when going down stairs, that will let your knee to be bent less, depending on the area of your defect if might make the pain less.

Offline cspike2

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #70 on: August 17, 2017, 07:40:06 PM »
And to help with climbing stairs, if you arch your lower back and try to use more of your hamstrings/glutes, that helps as well.

Offline Brandon123

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #71 on: August 18, 2017, 08:51:38 AM »
Good tips for stair climbing, thanks guys!

Offline cspike2

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #72 on: December 07, 2017, 11:02:35 PM »
Months and months of pain free "basic" movement, and I go and run about 50 yds, trying to make sure I see my wife finish her marathon.  No swelling, but there is a very focused, searing pain under my patella when I bend my knee about 20 degrees, and flex the quad in the process.  Walking is painful.  I'm starting to have doubts about being able to follow Dr. Dye's instructions.  I'm 46 and feel like I'm fragile and broken.  I would really like to be doing activities with my two young boys.  We have a benefit at work where you can get a "second opinion".  It allows you to give all of your case history to a service (advanced medical I believe), and they compile everything and give it to an expert.  My expert said the same things I've been hearing since the late 90's, but I have been trying to find ways to strengthen my hips.  I hit the pool for some water resistance hip strengthening and my left knee didn't like it.  It's starting to feel like a losing battle.  Patellar replacement likely in my future in the next 5 years. 

Offline The KNEEguru

• Administrator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 77
  • The KNEEguru
    • The KNEEguru
« Reply #73 on: December 11, 2017, 10:23:13 AM »
The whole issue of patellofemoral pain is under review with the experts - see http://www.mdedge.com/sites/default/files/ajo046020092.PDF

Of course there will be structural abnormalities that will continue to give problems even after a long period of non surgical management, and there will be cases where the cartilage damage has progressed and needs to be surgically managed. In the case of the OP the situation is clearly one of focal damage to the trochlea and the back of the patella, and it might indeed be necessary in the end to do a resurfacing (ie implant) procedure.
--
KNEEguru

Offline Brandon123

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #74 on: December 11, 2017, 01:57:09 PM »
The whole issue of patellofemoral pain is under review with the experts - see http://www.mdedge.com/sites/default/files/ajo046020092.PDF

Of course there will be structural abnormalities that will continue to give problems even after a long period of non surgical management, and there will be cases where the cartilage damage has progressed and needs to be surgically managed. In the case of the OP the situation is clearly one of focal damage to the trochlea and the back of the patella, and it might indeed be necessary in the end to do a resurfacing (ie implant) procedure.

Many thanks for the paper, really interesting for us with patellofemoral pain/cartilage damage!

support